Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 08:50 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
That's interesting. Do you have the same view as it is now by any chance?

I'm curious where exactly that is.
I think that may be somewhat of an artists rendition. But it is interesting to note, than there was significant agriculture well before long distance water importation. They mostly used local sources for irrigation I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 04:03 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdogg View Post
It may be green in L.A. but when I visit from Seattle all I see is brown hills. Well, ok, brown hills and concrete. And roads everywhere. Maybe that's what non-Angelenos are doing; comparing it to what they know. I love visiting, mostly because of the weather. And I love being able to go hiking when it's dry and sunny. And then I come home and it's lush green and grey overcast skies. Blah!
I think the brown hills bit indicates you may be going in the wrong time of year. I wouldn't visit LA in the late summer/early fall por ejemplo.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
I live in yucaipa (2500 feet in elevation) & during the long summer months if i drive to palm springs once i hit cabazon the weather is totally different. Its horrible.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,158 times
Steel, most people really don't get how hot 110-120 is, and the notion that it's OK because it's a "dry" heat is ridiculous. You're absolutely right, it's horrible. We're always a little surprised driving out of the desert in late spring. People from the Coachella Valley tend to keep jackets in their cars all summer because everywhere else seems cold.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,545 times
Default not a desert....sigh

well, new to the area and my husband took our daughter on a Hollywood Tour bus, the guy said "this is a desert" so much that it became a joke on the tour. Other folks on the bus were yelling it out the people on the street..."did you know LA is a desert?"

Seriously, someone showing the area needs to not refer to this as the Desert and certainly should not repeat it to the point of complete stupidity. Not a great impression and I am sure those visiting that were impressionable went back to their states saying "LA is a desert"....sigh

Old 03-05-2013, 11:24 PM

155 posts, read 149,915 times
LA isn't a desert, though I've heard drier-than-LA San Diego called a "coastal desert", and I've even said that. But still too Mediterranean of a climate, with enough winter rain and coastal fog / dew, to push it over into semi-arid but with higher humidity. LA moreso.

That said, it varies so much within that Med. climate and vegetation.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I think that may be somewhat of an artists rendition. But it is interesting to note, than there was significant agriculture well before long distance water importation. They mostly used local sources for irrigation I'm sure.
Even without irrigation it's possible to pull off dry farming of things like wheat, apricots and certain citrus.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
I've been screaming this for years. What I realize is that people bent on finding something negative will only listen to the negative stuff then regurgitate it no matter how inaccurate it is. LA is green man. It's hilly and it's green. People just love to hate on it.
Its really not that green. From May through October its pretty much bone-dry. A wet winter will somewhat green the hills from mid November until about April, but after that, it's brownsville. But we do get a useless, non-precipitation producing, humid marine layer that blankets the region for half the year though. Nothing like going for a stroll on a warm and overcast, 80% humidity May morning and breaking a sweat at 8am. UGH..

Last edited by cityx; 03-25-2013 at 07:48 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 07:23 PM

9 posts, read 11,385 times
FINALLY someone who explains the truth! California isn't even hot at all, it has a nice weather (coming from a Texan)

Old 03-29-2017, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 668 times
Default #LADesert

If LA isn't a desert, with a coast, why do you get your water from Northern California. You can't find water in the desert, whatsoever. You get no source of water except a few showers here and there. There's way too many people in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles