Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:57 AM

143 posts, read 300,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course we haven't lived there in years so I am a bit outdated in my views: we do visit every year or so: I don't think there is any one type of person I really hate in Los Angeles. I have trouble with people who are so blinded and loyal to Ca that they can't see any problems what-so-ever with the state or the city. I have problems with anyone who thinks they are owed something or live off the government, but that isn't just people in So Ca for sure. They are everywhere. I don't even hate the So Ca drivers, I just hate the way they drive. Maybe I have the most problems with the condesending, elitest people but I think you see more of that in No California, like in the San Francisco area...
Wow after all I may like L.A better because I been in NorCal and experienced this very same thing.. and probably from Ex Bay area people who moved into Sacramento but many of these folks are snobby hicks too. I cant fully put my finger on it. And also this type of person above you described is annoying as hell too and often times will be an indirect smarta55 to you for being honest and serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 06:05 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
This was not a thread meant to slight all transplants or all people trying to make it in the industry. I have met a lot of nice people trying to be actors and comics and models. The nicest guy I met so far trying to break in is young comic native from South Central.

I also do not understand what people mean by when they do not meet natives? Do they just somehow think that the hundreds of thousands of Mexican American, Hispanic Americans in LA are not native or do not count?

I also do not get this notion that people do not drive in LA. Have they ever been to Pico Blvd or the areas near Macarthur? Those areas are full of pedestrians. Sometimes I think that people only think of West LA when they think of LA, and the immigrant population and the working class ethnic communities like the native Latinos are literally invisible when they make comments like that. I translate that to usually mean, "no non-native white yippie walks in LA" or "it seems like no white yippie hispter that I talked to is native to LA".
Man I agree with all of this!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToMA View Post
Its a reaction to the environment they are in that already has issues. I'm proof of it and am an ******* to these smug Californians and this is up north, Not LA so that says something.
LOL, I always felt like Norcal people and Boston people were very similar in style socially. With the Boston people having the obvious edge (no pun intended) in social wiseguy behavior. One of my homies from Boston apologizes all the time because he unnecessarily get's rude and sarcastic in conversations for no reason. But, I really love where you two took this thread, it literally made me LOL! I will say this though, about Boston people, they are really loyal to their friends. They may be a little arrogant, know-it-all, sarcastic and etc., but when they are your homie, they are your homie!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:16 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
I also do not get this notion that people do not drive in LA. Have they ever been to Pico Blvd or the areas near Macarthur? Those areas are full of pedestrians. Sometimes I think that people only think of West LA when they think of LA, and the immigrant population and the working class ethnic communities like the native Latinos are literally invisible when they make comments like that. I translate that to usually mean, "no non-native white yippie walks in LA" or "it seems like no white yippie hispter that I talked to is native to LA".
LOL do you mean walk? There's no doubt people are driving

But yeah I don't get that either, seems like LA is equal with all the supposed walking cities of the country (though they certainly are designed better for walking). It is funny when you tell the sort of people you are referencing that you took the bus / train or walked, you often get a look like or , perhaps . Then an offer to drive you home.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:17 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
LOL, I always felt like Norcal people and Boston people were very similar in style socially. With the Boston people having the obvious edge (no pun intended) in social wiseguy behavior. One of my homies from Boston apologizes all the time because he unnecessarily get's rude and sarcastic in conversations for no reason. But, I really love where you two took this thread, it literally made me LOL! I will say this though, about Boston people, they are really loyal to their friends. They may be a little arrogant, know-it-all, sarcastic and etc., but when they are your homie, they are your homie!
Sounds 100 percent correct in my experiences.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 PM

341 posts, read 672,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Well there are threads about people that hate LA but what about a thread of people you dislike that live in LA?

The city is so huge that you cannot hate everyone but I bet there are a few that irk you a lot. For example I personally cannot stand the yuppie/yipster types that are almost everywhere in LA. I work near Burbank and go out to lunch there all the time and in line there are always two yuppie as hell guys raving on about their new dog or something completely meaningless. I mean their conversations are usually very vapid and it makes me think they're so insular on a level that makes non-natives think of the typical LA stereotype.

I mean it's more annoying that watching conversing with two middle aged surburban southern ladies who just talk about the stuff they buy.

Whenever I would watch shows like The New Girl or Glee, I'd always wonder who the hell are these people supposed to represent. I never knew anyone like them growing up. I come out to LA and I am floored at how life is immitating art (or vice versa?). Yipsters, yuppies, cool nerds, and more.

That's one take. Anyone have their takes?
I hate them all.....................lol

Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I'LL tell you what really ticks me off.
People who advertise on whatever, be it a dating site, or make comments on sites like cd, that say they are a "professional", or "young professional".
What the hell does that mean?
I see it all the time, "Young professional looking to rent here or there."
"Young professional seeking similar for fun evenings".
"Young professional moving to L.a. seeks advice".
Any one who works for a living is a professional at what they do.
If you work in a wahrehouse, grocery store, pick up trash, you are a professional, and if you just happen to be young, you are a young professional.
Never could understand why these people who claim they are a young professional need to imply they are better than any one else.
Bob.
I agree.....do exactly the opposite of the trend...and **** people off......I go to Santa Clarita and put on a strong Boston accent .....just to **** of those desert hicks.....people in CA have no culture or identity....

I agree.....I hate that word,,,,"professional".......throw people off, dont fit in......thats what I say...blah blah....or better yet, tell them to go

Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToMA View Post
Well I give you a big F U as well! I unlike these others will move back and soon. I have the courage to be an Ahole in an unknown land because Californians like you are Aholes to me too. Me and others from MA at least can admit were Aholes and proud ones depending on circumstances.

Love ya Back to MA............I am an ahole too.....no friends here, not in my comfort zone....cannot wait to go back....good luck to you

No one speaks to ya here.....cannot stand the people.....people from Boston are proud cuz they have an identity....I wont ramble as I will make to many enemies on the board....

My biggest mistake was coming to CA.....I have to subdue my personality.....not be myself here in CA....a bunch of *******....unless you are a Latino...they are the only ones with identity and culture and I respect them for that.......

Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Two more Easterners who couldn't make it here. Waaa waaaa, no friends! Waaaaaaaa waaaaaa, it's different here mommie! Waaaaaa!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:27 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,845 times
Can you believe it Fontucky? They found each other on Citi-Data and can move back east together....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles