Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:17 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times

Advertisements

I'm looking back into moving back to so cal and had heard that the double coupons were over with. I only called Ralphs so far to verify,which I found out was bought out by Kroger. I was a double coupons "demon" when I lived in Socal and loved hearing the checker telling me how much I saved. . It was the only thing that brought the food bill to an affordable price besides making the trek to Food 4 less (a longer drive). When I go visit my San Diego friend, I shop for food at the local Vons and am re-shocked at the prices for items like coffee, frozen foods and most other items. The only items that costs less than Texas' are produce, beer, wine and liquor. Everything else unless on sale, costs a good deal more. How do you cut your grocery bill down in So Cal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 02:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I'm looking back into moving back to so cal and had heard that the double coupons were over with. I only called Ralphs so far to verify,which I found out was bought out by Kroger. I was a double coupons "demon" when I lived in Socal and loved hearing the checker telling me how much I saved. . It was the only thing that brought the food bill to an affordable price besides making the trek to Food 4 less (a longer drive). When I go visit my San Diego friend, I shop for food at the local Vons and am re-shocked at the prices for items like coffee, frozen foods and most other items. The only items that costs less than Texas' are produce, beer, wine and liquor. Everything else unless on sale, costs a good deal more. How do you cut your grocery bill down in So Cal?
A lot of places have cut back on double coupons, but most coupons really are not that great anymore cause the either require you to buy 2 or 3 of the product or they are worth 55 cents, with was never doubled to begin with. I am a huge coupon user, we still have a store here in AR that does give double, but I don't find more than 2 or 3 a week in the paper worth using..oh and as for produce, when we do shop in Ca (obviously not very often, only when we visit) we haven't even found produce to be less expensive; Beer,wine and liquor yes...

Old 01-24-2013, 02:32 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
A lot of places have cut back on double coupons, but most coupons really are not that great anymore cause the either require you to buy 2 or 3 of the product or they are worth 55 cents, with was never doubled to begin with. I am a huge coupon user, we still have a store here in AR that does give double, but I don't find more than 2 or 3 a week in the paper worth using..oh and as for produce, when we do shop in Ca (obviously not very often, only when we visit) we haven't even found produce to be less expensive; Beer,wine and liquor yes...
oh yeah nita, you're right about even the produce being more expensive (when it's actually grown there!). I used to go to second hand grocery stores who would get what didn't sell at Vons or Ralphs. food 4 Less was also reasonable. You're right about the lack of good coupons. But when I combined those coupons with a "value" price, I was able to cut down the grocery bill by at least 20-25%.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 PM

23,508 posts, read 23,980,674 times
When I lived in SoCal, I recall that Ralph's, Von's and Pavillion's offered the double coupon promotion. Don't recall when it ended though.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,459 times
Kroger has owned Ralph's for about 14 years now. And Kroger still does double coupons (at least the ones in TN do - I spent the last year there and that's where I shopped). Was at Pavilion's the other day and saw a "coupons at face value only" sign. There was such a battle for a while, each chain trying to outdo each other - double coupons! triple on some days! It got out of hand, obviously.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,841,527 times
Last time I saw double coupons was in Ohio before I moved to California. I've never seen double coupons in CA.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,014,359 times
Vons used to have double coupons but that stopped yrs ago. I dont think double coupons exist anymore in ca.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:34 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Kroger also owns F4L.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:42 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Quote:
When I go visit my San Diego friend, I shop for food at the local Vons and am re-shocked at the prices for items like coffee
Vons isn't a good gauge for the cost of groceries in So Cal.

Quote:
How do you cut your grocery bill down in So Cal?
I shop at Food 4 Less, Winco, Target and the Latino markets (Cardenas, Superior, Rio Ranch). Never Vons or Ralphs. Sometimes Stater Bros, depending on what's on sale.

For instance: coffee. I regularly pay between 6.98 and 7.98 for 33.5 ounce cans. Name brands.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Vons isn't a good gauge for the cost of groceries in So Cal.

I shop at Food 4 Less, Winco, Target and the Latino markets (Cardenas, Superior, Rio Ranch). Never Vons or Ralphs. Sometimes Stater Bros, depending on what's on sale.

For instance: coffee. I regularly pay between 6.98 and 7.98 for 33.5 ounce cans. Name brands.
Latino markets are a great place, especially for produce. Oh, I know the veggies are from Mexico but when it comes to $$s and cents, I do what I have to in order to keep the food prices down. And yes, Target and/or WalMart if there is one near by do offer some great deals. Again, I am not a huge supporter of either, but saving a few bucks can make a big difference..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: