Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you go downtown?
Almost every day 4 16.67%
About once a week to every few weeks 7 29.17%
About once every 1-2 months 1 4.17%
A few times a year 10 41.67%
Once a year or less 2 8.33%
Never 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times

Advertisements

I've been going to DTLA for nearly 60 years, almost on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
DTLA is very underrated, if you ask me.
Co sign. DT LA has gotten more vibrant with the addition of LA Live. That place used to be a ghosttown at night even ten years ago. I go DT every month.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
this isn't the 90s anymore, downtown actually has some interesting things going on besides office jobs and the occasional punk venue in an old warehouse. it's really neat that people finally started to appreciate the quality architecture in the area. however, that is in stark contrast to the staples center which was probably the number one catalyst for the renewal of the entire downtown area. having said that, i don't go downtown often. i usually attend a few games at the staples center every year and maybe another occasional trip to the convention center, court house, or one of the concert venues. it's still too far for me to justify coming down from the valley for a meal or drink when i have plenty of great options much closer. i am interested in taking my little guy to the new grand park this summer though. hopefully they do concerts in the park there this year like has been done in the past at pershing square.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 PM

671 posts, read 1,189,851 times
Aside from the need to work there or see a local sports game, Opera or symphonymost people are far more likely to go downtown if they are relatively close to it. For example, you are going to find a lot of people living in Pasadena do go more often than those who live farther away, like out in Azusa, etc. Of course a good number of people in Pasadena appreciate culture and they do go to LA Phil and opera or even concerts at Colburn downtown, and even the Gold Line has brought a lot of northeast residents and Pasadena residents back to downtown. In fact, MTA will begin running Gold Line trains every 6 minutes throughout WEEKEND days it is so popular. Lot of folks in the valley have never been downtown and even west-siders might have gone once a long time ago, and those folks in OC just have never been in their entire life. Proximity is the key.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:06 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
Aside from the need to work there or see a local sports game, Opera or symphonymost people are far more likely to go downtown if they are relatively close to it. For example, you are going to find a lot of people living in Pasadena do go more often than those who live farther away, like out in Azusa, etc. Of course a good number of people in Pasadena appreciate culture and they do go to LA Phil and opera or even concerts at Colburn downtown, and even the Gold Line has brought a lot of northeast residents and Pasadena residents back to downtown. In fact, MTA will begin running Gold Line trains every 6 minutes throughout WEEKEND days it is so popular. Lot of folks in the valley have never been downtown and even west-siders might have gone once a long time ago, and those folks in OC just have never been in their entire life. Proximity is the key.
Right. I used to live in Downtown LA and of course Downtown was my stomping ground. When I lived farther out east, it was still accessible because it was only 12 miles away. Now that I live in Glendora (25 miles out), I don't go to Downtown LA as often as before, but I still go about once a week for food. Pasadena is now my "Downtown."

Once the Gold Line reaches my area, DTLA will be much, much more accessible to me. It will basically be a direct ride to both Pasadena and DTLA. Should take about 20mins to ride to Pasadena and about 30mins more to DTLA.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
I have a Los Angeles Public Library Card and consider the Central Library in downtown to be the 8th wonder of the world - so I make the trek by bus to DTLA at least a few times per year.

Anybody who remembers the Central library before the fire - please post - I am interested in your memories.

I have only seen the rebuilt library.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
I don't know of a particular list, but check in with this DTLA Rising blog every now and then, and you'll be up to speed on all kinds of development projects and general DTLA news.

DTLA RISING with Brigham Yen

Brigham Yen is the guy who runs it, hence the name.

Unfortunately Urbano closed recently, but I believe something will be taking it's place soon. Library Bar is still poppin' as always.
Thanks, that blog does help. Sucks to hear about Urbano, but I'm surprised to see just how much stuff opened in downtown LA in the 2nd half of 2012. That's great.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
When I lived in down in the south bay I knew people who said they never went downtown. Most likely they had been once or twice, just to check it out--but their point was it was too much bother to go there and everything they liked to do was easy to find right in the beach cities.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 PM

362 posts, read 543,583 times
I live in Pasadena, but go to DTLA all the time. One of my tailors is in DTLA, my custom curtain maker, fabric shops...we also enjoy dining at Rivera and Flemings. DTLA has changed a lot--definitely for the better!

Old 01-29-2013, 01:08 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
They've finally gotten a Ralphs grocery store downtown, and a new Target will replace what used to be Macy's at 7th & Hope.

The LA Live area is wonderful, and two more Marriott properties will open there next year, as well as the possibility of a Hilton Garden Inn on the site of that car wash at the NW corner of Olympic & Figueroa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles