Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 02:14 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times

Advertisements

Reading all of the articles, sounds like LA needs to give some Bloomberg-Style tough love to the homeless.

There was a comment about LA being "lambasted" all over the country for it's management of societal issues. People mainly lambast LA and California as a whole because they wish they didn't live in bum-f'ing-egypt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 02:15 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I agree with you 100 percent. Especially about the fact that this is everyone's problem and fault, not just the Democrats, not just the Republicans, not conservatives and not liberals. It's been a problem since the dawn of time and will probably always be an issue.
Most likely will be - it will take a huge bit of introspection by all to tackle the problem. Some of this surely starts at home and the atmosphere one grows up in and affects the choices we make.
It will be interesting to see if the new Affordable Care Act (AKA: Obamacare) will have any effect at all on the availability of mental health services. I haven't read all of it (well, actually none of it, shame on me) in regards to mental health services so I have self assigned myself to do so!
If only we could get policiticians as fired up as the posters here I believe progress could be made....

Old 01-31-2013, 02:16 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Reading all of the articles, sounds like LA needs to give some Bloomberg-Style tough love to the homeless.

There was a comment about LA being "lambasted" all over the country for it's management of societal issues. People mainly lambast LA and California as a whole because they wish they didn't live in bum-f'ing-egypt.
So true, so true!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Yeah that's true...plus a lot of people that BASH L.A have probably never even visited or they visited for a very brief time.

L.A does need to get it's act together if it wants to be viewed as a "world class city" way too many problems and it's a pity that many of them COULD be solved ...but the CITY (GOVERNMENT) chooses not to seriously work on them.

NYC Gets respect because they ENFORCE the laws they have on their books for example.

If NYC legalized Medical Marijuana for example , they would not let dispensaries get out of hand like L.A did for example.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:21 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah that's true...plus a lot of people that BASH L.A have probably never even visited or they visited for a very brief time.

L.A does need to get it's act together if it wants to be viewed as a "world class city" way too many problems and it's a pity that many of them COULD be solved ...but the CITY (GOVERNMENT) chooses not to seriously work on them.
I think the lesson we have learned from this thread is they are not so easily solved. Do you have a panacea for homelessness in LA that doesn't involve the shuttered asylums in CA or crowding our already over-capacity prison system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
NYC Gets respect because they ENFORCE the laws they have on their books for example.

If NYC legalized Medical Marijuana for example , they would not let dispensaries get out of hand like L.A did for example.
Hmm that is interesting. I wonder if it would. The problem with LA is it is sooooo huge, so it is costly and time-consuming to actually enforce. I think in NYC you would run into that issue. I guess it is not out of hand in SF, so maybe you are right - but that is a much smaller city population and area-wise.

A lot of people hate New York City the same way they hate LA - in some ways they are the same evil. Seeing their policies towards homeless I have certainly lost a lot of respect for them.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:35 PM

155 posts, read 260,196 times
Quote:
So where did those people go? Is it right for NYC to push the homeless on neighboring cities*? Or into less desirable neighborhoods?

ohhh he put them in institutions... It's too bad we don't have those in California...

*This is exactly what he did, according to the article you posted. That is a despicable solution that absolutely avoids the problem by pushing it off to other cities. Awesome what a great guy.
First, Bloomberg shipped the homeless back to their families and paid for a one-way ticket out of NYC. How is that inhumane?

Guiliani realized that there were crimes and social deterioration that was a direct result of the homeless being allowed to settle wherever they wanted, whenever they wanted. Sure, if 95% of homeless are harmless families, that leaves 5% of them capable of committing violent crimes and they DID commit many violent crimes in the 1970s and 80s.

Unlike LA, in NYC you are forced to deal with these kinds of problems because the city is centralized. All kinds of people take the subway, not just the poor and extreme lower classes, and as a result, people grow weary of the filth, smelliness, harassment, panhandling, discomfort and general negativity of being around those who decided that a subway car was the best place to take a dump.

People in LA can avoid unpleasantness by rolling up their car window and jumping on the freeway. End of story. DTLA was thought of as a hellhole until recently. That's why they put all the crazies down there but now, normal human beings want to live there and they can't because the homeless have been allowed to settle in too deeply.

NYC saw a problem and FIXED IT. Now, you can walk around Times Sq and catch a Broadway show with little problem. Go back and look at Times Square around 1984 and look at it now. Night and day.

No homeless.

I don't get how you can't understand this.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
First, Bloomberg shipped the homeless back to their families and paid for a one-way ticket out of NYC. How is that inhumane?

Guiliani realized that there were crimes and social deterioration that was a direct result of the homeless being allowed to settle wherever they wanted, whenever they wanted. Sure, if 95% of homeless are harmless families, that leaves 5% of them capable of committing violent crimes and they DID commit many violent crimes in the 1970s and 80s.

Unlike LA, in NYC you are forced to deal with these kinds of problems because the city is centralized. All kinds of people take the subway, not just the poor and extreme lower classes, and as a result, people grow weary of the filth, smelliness, harassment, panhandling, discomfort and general negativity of being around those who decided that a subway car was the best place to take a dump.

People in LA can avoid unpleasantness by rolling up their car window and jumping on the freeway. End of story. DTLA was thought of as a hellhole until recently. That's why they put all the crazies down there but now, normal human beings want to live there and they can't because the homeless have been allowed to settle in too deeply.

NYC saw a problem and FIXED IT. Now, you can walk around Times Sq and catch a Broadway show with little problem. Go back and look at Times Square around 1984 and look at it now. Night and day.

No homeless.

I don't get how you can't understand this.
Um no he didn't, at least not according to the article you posted:

Quote:
But Mr. Bloomberg appeared sensitive to the image of flying homeless families to far-flung places, as the program is set up to do. In the past two years, families have been provided one-way tickets to Haiti, Peru, Mexico City, St. Croix, Trinidad and Tobago, Ukraine, Santo Domingo and Casablanca. (The most popular destinations are Puerto Rico, Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas.)
Mayor Defends One-Way Tickets for Homeless - NYTimes.com

This is absolutely immoral IMO. If you don't then I guess we'll never agree. I just have a problem with pushing your problems off onto less deep-pocketed and influential cities / states / countries. Seriously it is like a real-life South Park episode.

Also, studying the demographic changes and population increases in DTLA, the homeless don't seem to be tempering growth much.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:

This is absolutely immoral IMO. If you don't then I guess we'll never agree. I just have a problem with pushing your problems off onto less deep-pocketed and influential cities / states / countries.

Also, studying the demographic changes and population increases in DTLA, the homeless don't seem to be tempering growth much.
I lived in NYC for 6 years post 9/11. They managed to clean up things nicely. I used to visit NYC during the 80s and particularly during the 1990s when the city was a hotbed of racism and class warfare. One of the best things about that period was the removal of violent homeless offenders.

You seem to live in the same fantasy world as the rest of the limousine liberal population of LA. So what would you do about the situation? Continue to pretend that it doesn't exist? Or propose something that wouldn't work?

NYC got rid of these people. LA refuses to, they could get rid of them, but they refuse to.

You mean to tell me you enjoy the bums? You like Skid Row? Do you party with them? Allow them into your home? Would you allow one of these guys to sleep in the same room with your wife with you not home?

Think about it. All the liberal whining goes away when you can step outside and not have to dodge panhandlers or smell human filth on a 90-degree day.

EDG

Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I lived in NYC for 6 years post 9/11. They managed to clean up things nicely. I used to visit NYC during the 80s and particularly during the 1990s when the city was a hotbed of racism and class warfare. One of the best things about that period was the removal of violent homeless offenders.

You seem to live in the same fantasy world as the rest of the limousine liberal population of LA. So what would you do about the situation? Continue to pretend that it doesn't exist? Or propose something that wouldn't work?
It's a very difficult situation, and yes I would love to see Skid Row cleaned up. I believe re-opening mental facilities is a great first step. A little force on the seriously drug-addicted I can get behind. The obviously violent need to be dealt with ASAP, I am all for aggressive police action on these folks, because they do really bring down the quality of life and force the residents to live in fear. In my experience, this is a tiny fraction of the total homeless population.

Calling me pejorative names like Limousine Liberal does not make you sound intelligent. In fact quite the opposite. I'm not calling you a teabagger or anything stupid like that, am I? It's even funnier because I do not consider myself a liberal, but a left-leaning moderate. Though all of you crazy idealogues make it difficult to stay centered.

Quote:
NYC got rid of these people. LA refuses to, they could get rid of them, but they refuse to.
They got rid of them the easy, immoral way by passing their problems off to other cities, states and countries, which is proven by the article you posted from the NYT. Or we could just send them off to Long Beach for your city to deal with. Sound good to you? It would be exactly what you recommended...

Quote:
You mean to tell me you enjoy the bums? You like Skid Row? Do you party with them? Allow them into your home? Would you allow one of these guys to sleep in the same room with your wife with you not home?
Of course I don't enjoy them, I don't like Skid Row and I do not hang out with homeless people. That's not the point, I would love to get rid of them too just not in the ways you suggest, which are very totalitarian and dehumanizing.

Quote:
Think about it. All the liberal whining goes away when you can step outside and not have to dodge panhandlers or smell human filth on a 90-degree day.
Remember when I told you I live in Hollywood? I do deal with this on a daily basis. I have actual relationships with some of them, some of them recognize me because I am nice to them when I walk by and actually look them in the eyes and say no. It's depressing, a great deal of the homeless in my neighborhood are very young and are most likely trying to escape a very desperate situation, real or perceived on their behalf.

Last edited by munchitup; 01-31-2013 at 03:10 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
It's a very difficult situation, and yes I would love to see Skid Row cleaned up. I believe re-opening mental facilities is a great first step. A little force on the seriously drug-addicted I can get behind.

Calling me pejorative names like Limousine Liberal does not make you sound intelligent. In fact quite the opposite. I'm not calling you a teabagger or anything stupid like that, am I? It's even funnier because I do not consider myself a liberal, but a left-leaning moderate. Though all of you crazy idealogues make it difficult to stay centered.

They got rid of them the easy, immoral way by passing their problems off to other cities, states and countries, which is proven by the article you posted from the NYT. Or we could just send them off to Long Beach for your city to deal with. Sound good to you? It would be exactly what you recommended...

Of course I don't enjoy them, I don't like Skid Row and I do not hang out with homeless people. That's not the point, I would love to get rid of them too just not in the ways you suggest, which are very totalitarian and dehumanizing.
I'm not a teabagger. I am more a Centrist-leaning-Left. I understand political economics. You know nothing of my background or political views. I do like law and order. You cannot have law and order when you allow degenerates to run wild in a major city.

You call relocation immoral, I call it common sense. There's no real solution other than relocation. If they would re-open the institutions that would help somewhat. But they would still be fluttering about. It's time for a real cleanup.

Why do you care so much about street scum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles