Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 12:18 AM

979 posts, read 2,093,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Went to Sacramento today for a job interview, spent the day up there. Not a particularly friendly area, but I've been there before, also. Think Bay Area but with more rednecks..
Interesting observation. I've always characterized Sacramentans as "urban rednecks." But i actually have a good appreciation for the city since I was born and raised in Sacramento and now have been living in SF for the past seven years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
So basically you've gone from SFers hate LA to SFers feel superior to LA. I guess that's a nice transition to a more factual based opinion.

Now regarding SF's elitism, it's not as simple as just "we made here in SF and you didn't, ha ha." You have to remember that from pretty much the beginning of the 20th century to present, SF is the place for people to fall head over heels in love with a city. LA is a love it or hate it place, SF is a love it or love it more place - if you don't love SF there's something wrong with you. There are people whose dream is to live in SF, who made moving to SF their life-long goals. People write songs about falling in love with SF. People in SF hears about how awesome SF is from outsiders constantly. So it takes a very level headed person in SF to not to get a big head over it. Many people bought into the hype and truly believe SF is second to none.
Uh, no.

I enjoy visiting SF, but I've never "loved" it. Frankly, it's too cold and dreary and you feel like a rat in a box. Having a car is not practical which forces you to use the MUNI, and there's nothing like being coughed on back and forth on your way to and from work. Yuck!

And then there's that good ol' NorCal scowl that everyone always has on their faces. I don't know if it looks more like this: , or this? , or maybe a combo of both?

Either way, it's not pleasant and it doesn't express that you love where you live. It expresses that you have issues and that you're probably dirt poor, living in a converted garage with 4 or 5 other hipsters, but you're an "activist" for whatever cause and you're living in Ground Zero for activist causes so that makes you "superior" to me and everyone else...

Yes, the City of SF -- structurally and architecturally -- is charming (more so than LA), but the people? not so much. Maybe they were in the 1960s and 70s, but not now. SF today is a bunch of depressed-looking, uptight, NIMBY, holier-than-thou, activist yuppies.

And when it comes down to it, the people are what makes a city, not the architecture or layout!

Angelenos are warmer, friendlier, happier and more colorful people and I make no apologies saying such! We don't just talk about our diversity, we live it! Thank You!

Last edited by kttam186290; 02-28-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 12:06 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
...and when's the last time someone mainstream wrote a song about falling in love with San Francisco other than in the 1960s?

L.A.'s had songs romanticizing it all of the way up from the 50s through the 1980s and 1990s until now.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:35 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
...and when's the last time someone mainstream wrote a song about falling in love with San Francisco other than in the 1960s?

L.A.'s had songs romanticizing it all of the way up from the 50s through the 1980s and 1990s until now.
If I wasn't tired of going back and forth with her I would've said the same. Also totally agree with what you said in the post before this. Spot on!

Old 02-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Went to Sacramento today for a job interview, spent the day up there. Not a particularly friendly area, but I've been there before, also. Think Bay Area but with more rednecks. I would like the job and probably even the people I'd work with, but probably not the area, so methinks I'll turn down an offer if I get one. Kind of a shame because it actually is a pretty nice city and the only major city in California where the middle class can live reasonably.

Meanwhile, I now have graduate school admission offers from USC and UC-Irvine. Two very great universities.

Folks, I'm beginning to think the writing is on the wall for me.
USC is dope the area is pretty much DTLA but it does have some grime FYI. If it were me I'd live downtown and bus it to school but good luck EE!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:53 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Come on people, you live in the greatest state in the country! California can be its own country! But that can only be true with ALL parts of the state.

I guess me not being a native California, who although lives in LA, and looking forward to future explorations across the state, just looks at it more that way.

I was at a superbowl party a month ago (during the superbowl obviously), and I was like "of course I'm going to root and cheer for the 49ers, its the California team!" Most people at the party agreed, but there were a couple die hard non-49er fans.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Bennett sang of the Old San Francisco whose time has long passed. The city you speak of now has been completely cleansed of anyone but the rich, save those who are homeless or live eight to an apartment (immigrants). You're waxing poetic like a Manhattanite who still doesn't realize Disney owns Times Square.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:45 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
I actually liked the weather in San Francisco in July and August when I lived in San Jose. You would notice the cool relief from the heat when you were in San Mateo (approx 15 miles south of SF) and then more so as you drove into the city. If you go to a baseball game there you just bring a sweater or jacket even if the game starts on the warm side. It can cool quickly, but I enjoyed the break from summer heat there. It sure beats dripping sweat all day long or getting sun burn. Granted, I do believe the LA area's coastal cities probably have comfortable evening weather in the summer, too.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Granted, I do believe the LA area's coastal cities probably have comfortable evening weather in the summer, too.
Yup, LA in general cools off really well around 3 or 4 p.m. but particularly the areas near the water are really cool. LA gets only a few really hot (this is LA's version of really hot, not most people's version) but other than that it's always nice IMO.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Bennett sang of the Old San Francisco whose time has long passed. The city you speak of now has been completely cleansed of anyone but the rich, save those who are homeless or live eight to an apartment (immigrants). You're waxing poetic like a Manhattanite who still doesn't realize Disney owns Times Square.
I'm trying to remember the last well recognized song paying tribute to SF that isn't at least 20 years old...I can't think of tons of LA stuff. Totally agree with ya homie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles