Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:11 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
Unfortunately they said the Santiago fire in OC was arson.
It had burned at least 11 homes last I heard (late afternoon 10/23) and things were not looking good at all for a whole lot more folks in the area.

O.C.'s Santiago fire rages - Los Angeles Times

From the linked article:

"Prather appealed to anyone with information about the arson fire, which was set Sunday evening in three places near Santiago Canyon and Silverado Canyon, east of Orange, to call (800) 540-8282."

I really have not heard about any of the others. I think fire officials are pretty busy with other things right now.
yeah, i can imagine the officials would be pretty busy.

3 confirmed arsons? at about the same time, were they? and were they in somewhat different locations? seems the officials might want to have a sense of that kind of thing if someone is doing it on purpose and "keeping ahead of them", right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:20 PM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
So using your logic, people living in the Tornado Alley states (Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota) should not receive any help because of the location of their homes. Nor should residents of Florida receive any assistance when they are hit with hurricanes. And the people who were devastated by Katrina, let's not help them either.

Your remark was harsh IMO.
Agreed! I was reading some of the posts here and that's not the only one. This is no time to be joking or dolling out judgement.

Our condolences and prayers to the people, firefighters, animals. property owners, etc. This is America. We out here in Colorado could face the same situation at any time. Help's on the way.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:25 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,158 times
The fires started on Government Owned Land and spreaded. Makes you wonder.....

Old 10-23-2007, 11:30 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
The fires started on Government Owned Land and spreaded. Makes you wonder.....
about ridiculous conspiracy theorists, and how they have no shame? yes, it does.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:10 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
NIFC is indicating over 300,000 acres burned or burning. To put this in perspective this is over 200 square miles of area.
True, it is over 200 sq miles. Very over. 300,000 acres = 468.75 sq miles. (640 acres = 1 sq mile) The 270,256 acres currently shown on the map you linked to is equivalent to 422.28 sq miles.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:43 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,302,985 times
It's true...some of those fires are arson. I haven't a clue if it has anything to do with terrorists but there are some "sick" people that get off when those Santa Ana's get blowing and enjoy starting fires. Very sick people!! I have heard some terrorists theories and it is possible but many of those other fires have been started by embers blowing from the original fire in those strong winds. This is not that unusual for CA this time of year. Everyone who has lived in CA for any amount of time is aware of it. When I lived there we always dreaded this time of year....I always lived in the mountains!! It seems once one fire starts many follow. The big problem now is all those people building their houses out in the brush and woods. The population keeps pushing out and it gets harder and harder to keep those fires away from the homes.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:24 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin' View Post
I don't understand why firefighters from other states are not coming in to help. Personally, I think in times of such disasters, that should be mandatory in every state to send in volunteers.

I know there is a large group of firefighters coming from NE Ohio.
I'll be in that group. However, I am not a firefighter, but I do have
family & friends in the SD area.
I feel that I would be of more help in SD than feeling helpless
watching this unfold on TV.
We just got flights out today....

Old 10-24-2007, 12:47 PM

157 posts, read 479,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The news here (Phoenix) said 14 AZ engines with teams and 45 fire managers from NM and AZ have been sent to the fires. That was yesterday, so maybe even more have gone in by now.
Count Nevada in. On Monday, 35 fire trucks with 4 member crews were sent out. Yesterday, a strike team with members from the Nevada Division of Forestry and the Elko and Mount Charleston fire departments were sent. A strike team is made up of 5 fire engines and about 20 firefighters.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:46 PM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
I thought I'd heard that Colorado was sending some help as early as yesterday. I wish things could have been done to put things in place sooner, like Sunday.

DENVER -- Four C-130 cargo planes, 14 managers and eight fire engines are on their way from Colorado and Wyoming to Southern California to fight wildfires.

Two of planes are from the 302nd Airlift Wing, a reserve unit at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs. The other two are from the 153rd Airlift Wing, a Wyoming Air National Guard unit in Cheyenne.

All the planes are equipped with modular airborne firefighting equipment, which converts the planes to aerial tankers.

I hope they get a handle on it soon and that the winds die down and we can pray for some moisture to that area!

Southern California is in our thoughts and prayers.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:01 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,602 times
Arson investigated in California fires - Yahoo! News (broken link)

could it be that the fires WERE a bit too concurrent and effectively distributed - upwind, about the periphery, ending mainly just north of the border?

(just found this one)

WorldNetDaily: California fires spark suspicion of terror again

hm. is this even a solid source? there's another article there pointing to the other "of course" scenario - "global warming induced drought sparked fires". the irony in all of this, whether or not there's any merit, seems so thick it's surreal to me.

Last edited by hello-world; 10-24-2007 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: "this just in"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles