Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 05:20 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times

Advertisements

Keep looking for the transfer, and if it comes through, it's fate.

Your mom will move eventually to wherever you move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Yeah I don't see how/why you have to do anything. Just wait for something to comes up and then decide if you want to move or not. You never know what can happen between now and then so it's pretty hard to say what you would decide if you had the opportunity to transfer. The alternative is quitting and starting over, which doesn't seem like something you want to do, so there isn't much to say about this.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose454 View Post

If you shared the same predicament, what would you do?
Accept personal responsibility for whatever decision I make and not put it on my mom.

Last edited by pacific2; 02-12-2013 at 07:38 PM..

Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM

239 posts, read 673,598 times
give mom the option of moving out there with you.

i'm somewhat in the same situation as you. i fell in love with la the first time i landed at lax some 10 yrs ago. i looked into moving out there six yrs ago even interviewing and getting a job offer. but something didn't feel right at the time so i declined. well, i have to say i'm glad things turned out that way at the time at least since the DC area has the strongest job market in the country. but i am back to thinking about moving out there again.... i have more work experience and more savings now which should make the inferior job market out there less of a risk if i were to move there without a job. what do i like about s. cal? the weather..proximity to the ocean and other play areas such as vegas. skiing not too far away, great food (the food in DC is very average in my opinion), diversity, and again, sunshine.

if you have a decent educational background and good experience, i would talk to some recruiters and just move. definitely save up a a year or two worth of living expenses and budget correctly so that you will have the lifestyle you want on potentially a lower salary.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose454 View Post
Hi All,

I'm a young professional, originally from New York. I relocated to the D.C. metro area, due to a great career opportunity. Currenty, I have a great job and a pretty nice apartment, but I really dislike the weather in this region and the overall monotony of DC metro area living. For the most part, it's gray during the winter (December - March) and cold. Although the D.C. area has great career opportunities, highly educated people and a wide variety of great museum exhibits and nightlife, it doesn't have the palm trees, nor the mountain views or beautiful beaches.

I presently earn 95K/year (with great health care benefits, 5 weeks of vacay, ample sick leave, and telework options), but I'd like to get a transfer to the L.A. region. The problem is, I'm just not certain when my organization's L.A. regional office will have an opening that matches my present salary.

I'm uncertain if I should continue dreaming about relocating to L.A. Perhaps I should just forget about my L.A. dream. Besides, my mom tends to act really strange whenever I discuss moving to the West Coast. I get the feeling that she wants me to take care of her, in the event that she gets sick in the near future.

I'm saddened by the reality that my L.A. dream may never become a reality. Oh well, I can always fantasize and take vacations in the area.

If you shared the same predicament, what would you do?
Hell yes I would go!! As long as a job was waiting for me, you're darn right I would.

Your mother will be fine. In the event she does gets sick, that's what home health aides are for.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:04 AM

221 posts, read 347,669 times
I'd stay where I had a comfortable income and great job.

I'd just vacation to LA more. Flights between LA and DC are pretty cheap and easy. You could fly out every month or two for a long weekend, telecommuting on a Friday or Monday if your work permits it.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Your mom can move to LA

Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
I know a lot of people mention the beaches..but I'd say way less than 1% of the people that live in L.A get to enjoy the beach even on an occasional basis. Also the water is pretty cold most of the year. Florida has some nice beaches...it doesn't have mountains but what is the fascination with mountains for people that live on the East coast?

I always here that ...but I never hear people that live here mention the mountains really...They do great a nice view..but I can't think of it as a reason to move somewhere

Making 95k you would do fine..unless you want to party like a rap star.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:25 PM

221 posts, read 347,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I always here that ...but I never hear people that live here mention the mountains really...They do great a nice view..but I can't think of it as a reason to move somewhere.
I tell people all the time that I could never leave the West coast because of the proximity of the mountains to the beach. I grew up here as an avid outdoors-person, horseback riding, hiking, backpacking, rock climbing. If you're really into hiking/backpacking, California is pretty hard to beat. We have year-round world-class rock climbing in Joshua Tree and Yosemite, spectacular hiking in the Sierra Nevada mountains (and some very high levels of biodiversity for bird and botany people), etc.

We are a "bucket list" destination (not LA specifically, but California and especially the Sierra Nevada range) for mountaineers and hikers all over the world.

I can understand why someone would want to move here for that. I would too, if I had not been born here.

That said, I haven't lived in the city of LA very long, so your assessment that most people don't actually use these recreational resources might be accurate. Which I think is kind of sad, because they are missing out on healthy, great free fun.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:34 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
woodsart, I agree and I enjoy hiking..but definitely not a major outdoors person.

I guess I feel that it is a small percentage of the population that are into all these outdoor activities.

I guess a lot of it has to do with people working and then running around on weekends doing other stuff.

Also perhaps being a native of L.A there are many things I don't appreciate as much as someone moving from elsewhere..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles