Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:04 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The hypothesis I developed when I was a high schooler in Boston who was working at a gourmet cheese and wine shop in Cambridge was that when people have enough money to keep major problems or drama at bay (i.e., car needs a repair? buy a new one; TV not working? get a bigger one. tendonitis? go to the same sports doctor that Kobe goes to; stressed out? take a two-week trip to the Cote D'Azur, etc) they start to create problems and drama at every turn.

Every minor inconvenience or unexpected situation becomes an insurmountable nightmare, and a reason to throw a tantrum and freak the hell out. It gives them a reason to get up in the morning... it's their own personal jihad against the banality of an easy life; their private Mein Kampf that will never be read by anyone... their unending need to experience the hardships of life, but from a good, safe, ultimately inconsequential distance.

Some of them just make a big fuss over wanting to see managers or panicking when they don't have the right provencial cheese at the cheese shop; others start to insist that they can't drink water that hasn't been put through reverse osmosis because the free agents in it will give you cancer according to some blowhard "doctor" who's under investigation - er, being persecuted by the ADA for making baseless - I mean, radical claims that are shaking up the medical industry, or want their items to be packed according to color and regional origin.

Yeah, the people at the Whole Foods (and the Rite Aid as well) here in BH's "Golden Triangle" do that habitually - get their cart to the line, start getting rung up, and then run off to get more stuff. Most of them take it for granted that's just what you do and don't even acknowledge they're doing it, let alone apologize... they just start stacking stuff, turn, walk down to the dairy aisle, get some enzyme-fortified Greek yoghurt, come back... walk over to the water aisle, get six different types of water... etc. Really, really obnoxious.
Man, you hit that on the nail! They really don't have major problems so they make them up. It's sad and annoying as heck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If you are trying to meet a deadline, I could help just let me know!

Unless you are physically staying as you would be at a certain age, prolonging a person's life so they can continue to age until hitting 150 would not be fun or desirable, imho.

I don't even want to image bunch of people over hundred years old walking/driving around, stinking up the place with BO and collecting Social Security! That would also mean; good luck getting the budget back in shape!
I'm thinking staying the same age you were when you took the pill. It putting together something on this very topic, I'd find it fun if I could live to like 300 but look 35.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:08 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,712,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
I'm thinking staying the same age you were when you took the pill. It putting together something on this very topic, I'd find it fun if I could live to like 300 but look 35.
That's why I want them to hurry up with the dang pill already.

It wouldn't be so bad now, but I'd have to have some years knocked off if I can't take it til you are 50...

Old 02-15-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
That's why I want them to hurry up with the dang pill already.

It wouldn't be so bad now, but I'd have to have some years knocked off if I can't take it til you are 50...
It's in the works!

Old 02-15-2013, 05:04 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
This is a tough one since there are a lot of nice places in L.A..but they all require a lot of money.

I think living in a cool old mansion in Los Feliz would be pretty awesome!

Close to a lot of different areas and less of the Beverly Hills/Santa Monica type attitude perhaps.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:27 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
PV, in a native Coast Live Oak grove, with a view out towards Catalina.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,712,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
My dad had me at 21 and to this day will not stop talking about the time I was 19 and I beat him and I was blocking his shot and etc., and how I "barely" beat him. I mean literally he brought it up last time I talked to him a couple weeks ago. anyway, yeah, sometimes I wonder what life would be like if I had kids early like that, they'd be just a few years away from leaving the house and I'd still be super young! But those early years are hard on a kid (kid as in the 20 something-year-old parent) and you sacrifice a lot. I admit, I like the traveling wifey and I have done without kids.
I think this little dude might be able to beat his dad right now.

Unbelievable Little Kid Does a Trick Shot Video - YouTube

Old 02-15-2013, 11:14 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,967,143 times
If I had all the money I could ever use at my disposal, I would live exactly where I am presently living.
I live east of Highland park, on the border of South Pasadena, in a quiet little village called Hermon.
It is close to everything that is important to city life,yet quiet like being in a secluded country town.
My house is not large, but for me, it is perfect.
The house sets about 150 feet from the street, so the traffic I don't hear.
I have a beautiful unobstructed view of the San Gabriel mountains from my rear deck, which is breathtaking in the winter months.
I am surrounded by trees, and that adds to the small town country flavor.
I don't feel I need more than what I currently have.
I have lived in this small house for twenty two years, and it is home.
If ever I won a lottery, I would still remain in this house.
My needs are simple, and I don't ever try living beyond them.
If I came into a large sum of money, I would donate it to charities that help animals.
I have no need for large sums of money.
I have never been one of those who need to impress any one with my material things.
The only one I need to impress is me, and I think I do one hell of a job at that.
So when you "find" that pot of gold, move yourself to that affluent neighborhood to show the rest of the world just how pompous and regal you can be.
There has always been a difference between "old money", and "new money".
Old money is those who have always had wealth, and don't need to prove it to anyone, while on the other hand, new money, more often than not, becomes a spectacle, and those who have this new money will stop at nothing to show their new found wealth.
Many will not agree with me, but there are many things in this world that are a lot more important than having wealth.
Bob.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 PM

8,303 posts, read 13,437,323 times
If money was no issue......I would buy the who damn city!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
You don't even need that many trees.

How about something like this neighborhood?

1726 E. Leaning Oak Court, Glendora, California 91741 | Los Angeles
It's alright, but not unique enough. I can get old 70's tract homes anywhere.

I like the trees just north of there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles