Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 03:39 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,859,369 times

Advertisements

Most of South and East LA look IDENTICAL to Mexico. Here are some photos that make you wonder, "are we still in the United States?":

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 05:28 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,304,543 times
Avex,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I've been to Mexico..but never Mexico city. I would think if most people saw those pictures they would think they were taken in Europe.

Mexico's economy is doing very well..but that story is overshadowed by their drug war .

4% growth is nothing to sneeze at.

And the richest person in the world is from Mexico

Old 03-08-2013, 07:29 PM

356 posts, read 1,062,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Avex,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I've been to Mexico..but never Mexico city. I would think if most people saw those pictures they would think they were taken in Europe.

Mexico's economy is doing very well..but that story is overshadowed by their drug war .

4% growth is nothing to sneeze at.

And the richest person in the world is from Mexico
You're welcome and FYI only three of those pics are from Mexico City.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,795,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Most of South and East LA look IDENTICAL to Mexico. Here are some photos that make you wonder, "are we still in the United States?":
In Mexico, they don't use words/phrases like:

"sale" unless they pronounce it in Spanish and are trying to get you to leave
"everything" because their version is much shorter
"super deal" because everything already is
"market" because again, they have a word for it....

Last edited by Count David; 03-09-2013 at 08:40 AM..

Old 03-09-2013, 08:09 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,781,146 times
TIP: Excellent taqueria y aguas frescas at that El Gallo Giro. (701 E. Jefferson, LA)

Old 03-09-2013, 08:49 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,304,543 times
Maybe we say large parts of L.A look like the worst parts of Mexico.

It's hard to generalize as Mexico is a huge country with over 100 million people.

There are going to be some places that look like Beverly Hills im sure and some that look like East L.A

Old 03-09-2013, 12:24 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,393,833 times
Lol

not one bit. Los Angeles looks like Los Angeles

Old 03-09-2013, 10:18 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,679,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
In Mexico, they don't use words/phrases like:

"sale" unless they pronounce it in Spanish and are trying to get you to leave
"everything" because their version is much shorter
"super deal" because everything already is
"market" because again, they have a word for it....
I think they make beepers for the forgetful types so their relations can track them. I can't really imagine what it's like driving around and suddenly thinking you are in Mexico.

Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Google News Archive Search

Yep, I was right.

Those pictures only vaguely reminds me of south-central Fresno and the fact that I might go pick up some fresh tortillas at the panaderia.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:43 AM

83 posts, read 515,589 times
I have been to Los Angeles too, I am originally from Europe and right now I am in California. There are parts that resemble Mexico but that is due to the Spanish/Mexican influence in those areas, you have old colonial buildings that were built by Mexicans/Spaniards, buildings very old that California hasn't modernized them, they stay old. People in Los Angeles believe every Spanish speaking Hispanic there is Mexican but don't realize that a large amount of them are actually from Central America. Honestly Yank culture is so boring, that is why when I went to Los Angeles I decided to go to Mexican neighborhoods/areas like Placita Olvera, what did I eat in my stay in Los Angeles? Nothing but Mexican food, I have become a fan of Mexican food, yank dishes? boring and not very good. I don't understand why Yanks like complaining about immigrants too much, without those immigrants Yanks would have trashy food too eat, bye bye to your Pizzas, burritos, Sushi, Chinese food ect.

Comparing Los Angeles to Mexico is an insult, I have been to Mexico and Mexico is by far more beautiful than any state in the USA, Mexico has colonial buildings, buildings that make you feel you haven't left Europe, something USA doesn't have.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:36 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,278,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barzie View Post
I have been to Los Angeles too, I am originally from Europe and right now I am in California. There are parts that resemble Mexico but that is due to the Spanish/Mexican influence in those areas, you have old colonial buildings that were built by Mexicans/Spaniards, buildings very old that California hasn't modernized them, they stay old. People in Los Angeles believe every Spanish speaking Hispanic there is Mexican but don't realize that a large amount of them are actually from Central America. Honestly Yank culture is so boring, that is why when I went to Los Angeles I decided to go to Mexican neighborhoods/areas like Placita Olvera, what did I eat in my stay in Los Angeles? Nothing but Mexican food, I have become a fan of Mexican food, yank dishes? boring and not very good. I don't understand why Yanks like complaining about immigrants too much, without those immigrants Yanks would have trashy food too eat, bye bye to your Pizzas, burritos, Sushi, Chinese food ect.

Comparing Los Angeles to Mexico is an insult, I have been to Mexico and Mexico is by far more beautiful than any state in the USA, Mexico has colonial buildings, buildings that make you feel you haven't left Europe, something USA doesn't have.
I'm guessing you haven't been to Boston, Philly, Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans or St Augustine for colonial architectur, nor had Southern, Louisiana, or New England cuisine. It sounds like you just stereotyped the US with a broad brush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles