Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
California is handing off to LA central in the PDF matter. Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay.

The Eagles - Hotel California-offical Song.. - YouTube
Or this one!

Alice In Chains - Check My Brain - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Or this one!
We are waiting for the shrinks report for final clearance.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM

30 posts, read 73,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
You will be amazed at the difference intense sunshine makes in your mood. I really would have a hard time living anywhere else now. I don't know about the rest of it, but I think Southern Californians have a hard time living in northern states because of the dark/rain weather. I've heard from quite a few who moved elsewhere and needed to come back. Sunshine is a powerful thing.
I totally agree! Aside from hating the cold I notice a huge change in my mood during the winter months here in Utah. I feel like I am really grinding it out until Summer. I take one trip to California for a couple days and I feel like my normal self again. I didn't want to admit it for the longest time, but finally realized how much sunshine affects my productivity and mood.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:19 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
If Los Angeles does not work for you, I would also suggest giving the San Diego area a try. At least most the servers at restaurants there won't claim to be actors like in LA (that would be annoying for me after awhile). I have some friends in San Diego that like it there.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
If Los Angeles does not work for you, I would also suggest giving the San Diego area a try. At least most the servers at restaurants there won't claim to be actors like in LA (that would be annoying for me after awhile). I have some friends in San Diego that like it there.
I've lived in San Diego on and off for years. I lived at Mission Beach in the early 90's. I could hear the waves from my bed. I do like LA better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
We are waiting for the shrinks report for final clearance.
He highly advised against the move, had a few negative things to say about LA, and then wanted to add another pill to my diet which I declined.

And to everyone else, thanks. I took a semester off from school to figure things out. Like what I want to be, who I want to be, where I want to be, etc.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:56 AM

30 posts, read 73,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I've lived in San Diego on and off for years. I lived at Mission Beach in the early 90's. I could hear the waves from my bed. I do like LA better though.

He highly advised against the move, had a few negative things to say about LA, and then wanted to add another pill to my diet which I declined.

And to everyone else, thanks. I took a semester off from school to figure things out. Like what I want to be, who I want to be, where I want to be, etc.
Just out of curiosity what about LA made you pick it over San Diego?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 AM

734 posts, read 932,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Remember that LA is just a city and any lasting inner peace needs to come from within you. To a degree, environment can influence one's feelings, but it cannot magically transform issues that may exist in your current locale. And, you will have a host of new issues in LA: new job, new house, new friends, new relationships, etc. such that it's not easy to drop in and have an immediate and profound change.

Move to LA if you want to do so, but be prepared to work to meet the new challenges that await. Good luck!
Excellent post! I concur. Far too many people believe that their life will magically transform once they arrive in the city of angels, but they will soon come to find out that it may not be the land of milk and honey, especially if they lack the resources necessary to maintain a good quality of life.

But irrespective of this, the best thing that people who yearn for L.A. can do is simply save and plan for their relocation. It may not happen overnight, but anyone who really wants something, can achieve their goals, if they successfully map out a long term strategy.

My advice to all of the people who long for L.A. is: stop dreaming, and simply make your move a reality. Just be aware that without monetary resources, you will more than likely be surrounded by vast numbers of homeless persons, and other forms of poverty.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Be careful, those pills may be making your brain-tissue do funny/strange things!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
I can't believe one would base their decision to move to Los Angeles on a music video by a dead rapper? Seriously?

So much has changed since that song/video came out. The city is not the hip-hop haven you think it is anymore. It has rapidly gentrified. People with ambitions and careers have moved here and pushed out the thugs and thug wannabes. If you come to LA with a "Tupac" thug/hustler/gangster mindset, you'll find yourself living way out in Victorville with the rest of those people, or, turning around and heading back to Tampa.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I can't believe one would base their decision to move to Los Angeles on a music video by a dead rapper? Seriously?
Come on you should know by now that once an artist is dead, his reputation is immortalized forever. Look at Kirk Cobain! And anyway I'm not basing a move off a single video. The video happened to resonate with me that's all. And I like other musical talent that came out of LA too, like the heavy metal that came out of Hollywood in the 80's. Or Katy Perry selling us the "sizzle" of the west coast way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
So much has changed since that song/video came out. The city is not the hip-hop haven you think it is anymore. It has rapidly gentrified.
I think we've seen the gentrification thing play itself out across most major cities in the US. Myself, I kind of long for the days when your average blue collar Joe could afford a nice little ranch home in Reseda.

You all can have your rental "bidding war" over Los Feliz, and I'll be out in Fontana working on my engine (insert sound of ratchet wrench).

Last edited by New Horizons; 02-26-2013 at 06:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles