Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 12:17 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times

Advertisements

I have a theory as to why Hollywood has become so seedy. There are many Hispanics/Latinos moving there from Mexico just so that they are able to say they live in Hollywood. Everyone just has this dream of living in Hollywood, and the Latinos think it would be great to live there. However, with so many moving there, the crime has gone up.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:23 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I have a theory as to why Hollywood has become so seedy. There are many Hispanics/Latinos moving there from Mexico just so that they are able to say they live in Hollywood. Everyone just has this dream of living in Hollywood, and the Latinos think it would be great to live there. However, with so many moving there, the crime has gone up.
Uhm, MH, many on this board state that Hollywood is less seedy than in the 1990s.

Richard Geib wrote an account of 1990s Hollywood here: Hollywood Days! LA gangs, runaways, drugs, ad nauseam - all the problems in the world! - this was written in the 1990s.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:00 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Certain parts of Hollywood are seedy because there is an abundance of very, very cheap apartment buildings. Where talking $450.00 per month single apartments. Take a look at apartments along Vine street just south of sunset along La Mirada. Very cheap units that are full of immigrants.

I think the crime is a result of Americans who move there from other parts of the country who bring with them their drug problems and backwoods hillbilly ways. The immigrants who are there for the most part seem to be hard working people who are not involved in criminal activity.

There is a large and growing Russian immigrant population living alongside the hispanics in Hollywood. Plummer park just off of Fountain in Hollywood is also known as "Russian Park" because of the number of Russian immigrants who enjoy it there.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:39 PM

101 posts, read 581,919 times
Here's how I remember it: Hollywood was great in the fifties and early 60s--everyone went there for big movie openings and fun date nights--cruising too. Then came the late 60's and the rise of the drug culture. It went to pot (smile) and has never quite regained its footing.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:46 AM

252 posts, read 1,127,540 times
I don't think thats the reasons why. I know many who live in metro LA (Hollywood incl) because its the cheapest and closest place to their work. That by itself is not the problem. But no need to rehash whats been debated here ad nauseum.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:33 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,388 times
No part of Hollywood has gotten worse in the last few years. Many parts have gotten better.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
No part of Hollywood has gotten worse in the last few years. Many parts have gotten better.
You are correct. With the Arclight theater, the new Borders and shopping on Vine, it really is getting to the point where I almost would want to live there. I mentioned before that my housekeeper Sveta lives just a couple of blocks from the Arclight and she loves it. Probably because there is a large Russian population there as well and she really doesnt speak english.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:38 AM

188 posts, read 989,215 times
Quote:
I think that this is the story for many places in L.A.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:02 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,815 times
Quote:
They dont move there because they think "Oh, I want to live in Hollywood". The latinos who live in Hollywood have been living there for decades and other family members arrive and live with them. Hollywood is a very expensive place to live. My friends family moved to North Carolina recently and they paid a $900 dollar rent in Korea town, once they moved they raised the rent to about $1,200 for the same apartment. They only paid that low amount because they had been living there for a very long time. I personally think that one of the reasons African Americans and Latinos are so gang affiliated is because they were very segregated only a couple of decades ago. Latinos were only allowed to live in the Eastern part of Los Angeles for a certain period of time and that created many of the barrios and ghettos we see today. If you put ANY certain race of people in a specific area with poor living conditions you can't expect prosperity but only bad things to develop within.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:08 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,655 times
Speaking of "bad" areas, personally I have more problems with the redneck types than with any other race. I am caucasion and I get along better with mexicans and african americans. Our white trash parts of town are far worse than our "ghettos." Are there any white trash/redneck parts of L.A.??? All the times I've been there I've never seen one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles