Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,149 times

Advertisements

I certainly don't want to minimize health risks! I thought the OP would be interested in the links I shared from the EPA and real estate writer Elizabeth Weintraub, indicating that a popcorn ceiling containing asbestos can be regarded as benign if in good condition and left alone.

To quote from the EPA web site:
Asbestos-containing materials that aren’t damaged or disturbed are not likely to pose a health risk. Usually the best thing is to leave asbestos-containing material alone if it is in good condition.

Generally, asbestos-containing material that is in good condition and will not be disturbed (by remodeling, for example) will not release asbestos fibers.
Although they did add in the next paragraph:
Asbestos-containing materials may release fibers when they are disturbed, damaged, removed improperly, repaired, cut, torn, sanded, sawed, drilled or scraped. Keep an eye on asbestos-containing materials and visually check them over time for signs of wear or damage.
Senno, it sounds like you might have information I wasn't privy to ... and I'll be grateful if you can share it with us. Can you please post a link to data you have indicating that these asbestos-containing ceilings can be dangerous even when in good condition? You may help the OP, and others who discover this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Vagabond View Post
I certainly don't want to minimize health risks! I thought the OP would be interested in the links I shared from the EPA and real estate writer Elizabeth Weintraub, indicating that a popcorn ceiling containing asbestos can be regarded as benign if in good condition and left alone.

To quote from the EPA web site:
Asbestos-containing materials that aren’t damaged or disturbed are not likely to pose a health risk. Usually the best thing is to leave asbestos-containing material alone if it is in good condition.

Generally, asbestos-containing material that is in good condition and will not be disturbed (by remodeling, for example) will not release asbestos fibers.
Although they did add in the next paragraph:
Asbestos-containing materials may release fibers when they are disturbed, damaged, removed improperly, repaired, cut, torn, sanded, sawed, drilled or scraped. Keep an eye on asbestos-containing materials and visually check them over time for signs of wear or damage.
Senno, it sounds like you might have information I wasn't privy to ... and I'll be grateful if you can share it with us. Can you please post a link to data you have indicating that these asbestos-containing ceilings can be dangerous even when in good condition? You may help the OP, and others who discover this thread.
Same info you have, just less risk tolerance. And a history of dealing with asbestos claims. /shrug

Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
The best question asked, thusfar, is was this acknowledged prior to you purchasing the home? If not, you may have recourse for the seller to pay for the abatement. When I purchased my first home around 1987, the furnace had an asbestos blanket that we had removed and then sealed by an abatement company. This is not a minor issue. And it has nothing to do with will it fall or will it not. If you have a heating or cooling system in the house, that's enough to send fibers throughout. I know. My SO is with a firm that deals with asbestos cases.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 AM

30 posts, read 73,893 times
I just finished my house a few weeks ago and it is doable. It contained 6%, for it to be "safe for removal" you need less that 1% asbestos. I understand how it is such an eyesore and definitely agree with you that it is worth removing. I worked with my friends who were contractors and did a lot of research into what the abatement companies actually do. It is a simple job and most of the high cost for removal is there for getting permits and because they can charge you that much. Most contractors will tell you they just collect the cash and have laborers do the job using the equipment they provide, no special training or professionals necessary. As others have said if left alone you have no safety concerns. We followed the same procedure as the abatement company ourselves for my 3200sqft home and it cost us around $500-$600 for supplies. I want to emphasize that you cannot live in it while you do this removal if you want to do it right, and for 1500sqft the removal will at least take 2 days and another 2 days for prep work. Not to mention retexturing the ceiling and painting afterwards, plan on it feeling like a renovation. You need the proper safety equipment for yourself and any workers with you. pksafety.com sells a great asbestos removal kit with a HEPA filter dust mask, goggles, gloves, booties, and disposable suit. If you are interested in the steps I am happy to help. Upon completion we paid the abatement company to come in and leave air circulators in the house for a day which will take air samples and let you know whether the house was contaminated with asbestos. That test cost $300 and gave us peace of mind. Worst case scenario if you contaminate it you can pay them to clean up using HEPA filtered vacuums which will then set you back a couple thousand dollars. It is hard to contaminate the house if you take your time and follow the steps to cover everything. Asbestos is not a nerve gas that spreads upon touching it. Keep it wet, protect yourself, prep properly, and it will be a very easy process. You have to screw up the job pretty bad through carelessness to contaminate your house. Prep and cleanup is the most time consuming part. So worth it when finished though, makes it feel like a new house.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:46 PM

65 posts, read 268,309 times
Please see my recommendations on the attached thread
//www.city-data.com/forum/house...ceiling-3.html

Old 02-22-2013, 08:05 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
my parents had some rental units where they remodeled & got rid of the popcorn ceiling by plastering over it. The plaster encapsulates & covers over the texturized ceiling without disturbing & causing the popcorn to become friable. You do need a skilled plasterer though to avoid dips & cracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles