Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:48 PM

281 posts, read 750,249 times

Advertisements

I was just out in LA and spent a whole week driving around with friends and relatives and in my own rental car pretty much through the entire area. WOW! I thought traffic and housing prices were incredible in the Washington DC area but Los Angeles got it all beat. I just could not believe the traffic. The rush hour is 22 hours a day.

But the funny thing was many of my friends and relatives that live in the greater LA area commute for over 50 miles each way to work so they can afford a house and a yard without being in a rough neighborhood. One works near LAX but commutes to Riverside County to afford a home in a safe neighborhood. Another works in Irvine but commutes from Pasadena. They spend 2 hours each way in bumper to bumper traffic to live the LA Dream. Seems more like a nightmare to me.

The Palm Trees and 70 degrees were nice in February but it did not seem worth it. One guy was offered a great job at the same pay in Chapel Hill NC but did not want to leave LA and the warm sunshine. In Chapel Hill NC he could have nearly doubled his standard of living and had no commute. Is the long commute worth it?

Tell us your commuting horror stories and your thoughts about the question: Is a long commute worth it in LA to get a larger house in a safe neighborhood while still working a job you love in a bad or expensive community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 04:13 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
One works near LAX but commutes to Riverside County to afford a home in a safe neighborhood.
I'd rather put a .45 inside my mouth.

Quote:
Tell us your commuting horror stories
My daily commute is approx 20 feet so I can't contribute, but last week I did have to drive from Fontana to Santa Ana during off-peak hours in the late morning. The trip from my house to the Windy Ridge toll plaza on CA-241 normally takes 30 minutes at that time of day, but due to encountering three crashes on I-15 it took me 65 minutes to get there.

That's as horrific as it gets in my world.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:17 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,123 times
Quote:
But the funny thing was many of my friends and relatives that live in the greater LA area commute for over 50 miles each way to work so they can afford a house and a yard without being in a rough neighborhood. One works near LAX but commutes to Riverside County to afford a home in a safe neighborhood. Another works in Irvine but commutes from Pasadena. They spend 2 hours each way in bumper to bumper traffic to live the LA Dream. Seems more like a nightmare to me.
This I don't get. Pasadena is a very lovely town, but a nice place there wouldn't be much cheaper than Irvine, if at all. Is this a temporary job/home situation?

Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
My commute is not as bad as some of these examples. I live in the Northern part of North Hollywood and commute to Brentwood area for work. It's not that far but it's just the traffic is really bad. Usually like 1hr 15minutes each way...but for 18miles thats pretty bad..

You mentioned people commuting to get a larger house in a safe area...but I think the issue is people can't get any house (or condo) because homes are so expensive where the jobs are.

We do have several people where I work that actually commute from Fontana . I believe they drive to downtown LA then get on a shuttle here. I think their hours are maybe 6-2:30 or something like that though so they miss some of the traffic..but I cant imagine waking up that early..

I really don't see why people don't look into moving out of state ... The people that do commute from Fontana are in facilities most likely not making too much but had an opportunity to buy a house there when prices went down.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
This I don't get. Pasadena is a very lovely town, but a nice place there wouldn't be much cheaper than Irvine, if at all.
It's possible this person bought a place in Pasadena and at some later time changed jobs. That's one of the downsides of buying vs. renting. It isn't as easy to just pick up and move for the sake of convenience.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 PM

23,508 posts, read 23,980,674 times
I used to commute from Pasadena/La Crescenta/South Pasadena to Woodland Hills & Calabasas. Usually 45 minutes, sometimes as long as 90 minutes (one way) and average of one hour.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,796,777 times
I'm not a SoCal resident, but last April, I stayed in a hotel in Buena Park, CA. I had a meeting at USC. It took about one hour, 25 minutes to drive the 22 or so miles.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,062 times
My commute is 25 feet, my wife's is 15 minutes. We live in a nice, quiet, safe neighborhood. It is horrible! Oh, the horror!

BTW, I think making threads that try to only isolate "bad" experiences with LA are kinda lame.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
LOL...so it seems people's commute is either 25 FEET or 1HR +

Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
LOL...so it seems people's commute is either 25 FEET or 1HR +
I think it's because those of us who care about not driving will create a life so they don't drive. If my wife changes jobs, we will move 5-15 minutes away from where she works. Makes life living in this city a lot easier. A side benefit is you don't have to spend 30-50% more to buy a house, you can just rent one, and you reduce your car expenses because you aren't spending 25-56 cents a mile to commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles