Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 AM

36 posts, read 112,221 times

Advertisements

South of the main shopping district are many 3 bedroom homes that still cost a fortune. My wife wants to take a look at those neighborhoods to rent for a year because of the wow factor of the BH name. On the plus side, it is the BH shool district. On the negative side, the homes look like a lower middle class neighborhood in suburban Cleveland. Has anyone lived there or knew someone that lived there and can comment on safety and neighbor friendliness of that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 11:57 AM

733 posts, read 939,337 times
Lower middle class looking 3 bedroom homes are a slum?

Old 02-24-2013, 03:10 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,692 times
I'm guessing that you are talking about the areas around Olympic Blvd. That area is very safe. As for prices, BH is expensive. I've never lived there so can't comment on the people. I will say that if your reason for wanting to live there is for the "wow" factor of a BH address - and you find yourself with a lot of snobby, shallow neighbors - you should fit right it.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:10 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
There aren't really any bad (dangerous) areas of BH. The areas that you're likely looking at are "bad" because they are on busy streets, congested, parking issues, may or may not have a parking spot along with your apartment, etc.

As far as neighbor friendliness, these neighborhoods often host recent (legal) immigrants from Iran, the middle east, and have many Jewish families as well. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but they tend to stick to themselves, and may not be overtly welcoming to newcomers of other backgrounds.

I would challenge your desire to live in BH - renting anywhere for the "wow" factor is simply silly.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I lived in Beverly Hills growing up. I went to the public school till 5th grade...didn't have the best experience really but might of been worse in a different area.

I agree that paying more for the "wow factor" is pretty dumb...

The schools do appear to be rated pretty highly , so maybe that makes more sense.

Most kids I went to school with with were Persian or Jewish , almost all the persians were Jewish.

You do get much better services, Police, etc versus city of L.A and probably anywhere else in L.A county...

If you have the money for it I guess I'd say go for it ...but I wouldn't do it for the "wow factor"

I'd do it to live in a safe area with better than average public schools...

Personally I think I'd rather live in Burbank than Beverly Hills...it doesn't have that wow factor...but it's a nice safe area and the schools are good. I think it's much more family oriented than Beverly Hills too..
Also going to be a lot less expensive...but even if I had them money I'm not sure I'd want to live in Beverly Hills if I had kids. The whole culture is pretty weird...

One of my friend's mom once stated that

"Beverly Hills is the center of the Universe"... That seems to be the attitude of many residents..

Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You do get much better services, Police, etc versus city of L.A and probably anywhere else in L.A county...
Thats partially true - BH PD/Fire are better than LA City offerings, but on par (no better/worse than) with independent cities in the area. Santa Monica, Culver City, El Segundo, Torrance, even Inglewood - all have great city services.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:47 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
Lower middle class looking 3 bedroom homes are a slum?
The OP might be Persian.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
The OP might be Persian.
We are not Persian, but ethnic diversity doesn't scare me. As for my comment on the "wow" factor, please consider that my wife, kids and I would be moving from suburban Cleveland to California with the nearest family two hours away in China Lake. It is likely that almost any city we choose in socal would have WOW because it's missing 70 inches of snow. What we do not want is a city loaded with unfriendly people. Ultimately, through our young kids, we would likely build a network of friends.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:45 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
That area of BH is called the "Flats". I lived there, though some time ago. It is very safe. Always has been.

Now, if you rent in the area - would you also buy there? I can't see renting in an area where I wouldn't be buying.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
That area of BH is called the "Flats". I lived there, though some time ago. It is very safe. Always has been.

Now, if you rent in the area - would you also buy there? I can't see renting in an area where I wouldn't be buying.
The Flats is north of the main shopping area, and the minimum monthly lease is $11,000. That is a lot out of our price range. South of the the shopping district can go for $5,000. However, we are looking to buy after one year, but we want to lease first because we might really not like where we just moved to. My wife's cousins lived in BH, and they recommend Santa Monica. The public high school there though is very very big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles