Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 04:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,044 times

Advertisements

This is the first time I am writing a post on this website, so I hope I am doing it right. I am going to be moving to LA in a couple of months, as I just got a new job. I was wondering which part of LA would be best for me and are there any specific neighborhoods in those areas you could recommend. I am a young (26 going to be 27 years old) clean cut straight white guy. Now some have put a negative stereotype, but I am the quintessential “white preppy pretty boy with a trust fund”. I am well educated (Harvard graduate with a MBA for Wharton Business School). Now as far as what I can afford on rent, my salary will be in the high six figures, so my budget can be very flexible. Also my jobs requires me to meet people all over LA, so commuting will not be an isuue as to where I live. My inertest include sporting events plus going to bars and restaurants’. I love to play golf & tennis, and polo. Also I love to swim, play water polo and crew (rowing). As I will be a newbie to the city I want to live in a neighborhood that has other people in my age group/demographic. For me the most important thing is to make some great friends whom I can do things with. I am a people person so I need people around me and in my life. So, based on this info what would be the best place for me in LA and if possible what would be the best neighborhood in that location……………… Thank you

Last edited by EPL2013; 03-03-2013 at 04:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 10:08 AM

23,279 posts, read 23,649,722 times
It sounds that you can afford to live almost anywhere in the LA area. Beverly Hills or West LA would be good parts to starting looking. If you like the beach, try Manhattan or Hermosa Beach.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:11 AM

74 posts, read 180,646 times
LA is the perfect city for upper middle class and rich people. i think you should try Beverly Hills. you can brag to your friends about living in a world famous place. just be careful with your money,if you are ever poor,LA is the worst place to live without money.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:58 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,291,837 times
To EPL2013 , I would probably look into West Hollywood or Santa Monica maybe over Beverly Hills...those areas would probably have more people in your age group/demographic. Beverly Hills generally has more older people living there..it's not really too great for going out..they make sure places close early and don't get too rowdy. West hollywood is mostly where people who live in Beverly Hills would hangout and party as it is adjacent to BH.
___
to Nobody067, I'm not sure about that ...it seems it's not the worst place to be poor ...if you can apply for all the social/welfare programs available in the city..that's the reason a lot of poor people stay.

But I do think it's a pretty crappy place if you are poor and don't quality for any of these programs or don't feel right applying for these programs like many working poor.

It is probably close to an ideal place for upper middle class and rich people though. The restaurants, clubs, entertainment, services, availability of nice mansions (not possible in NYC) , relatively cheap supply of immigrant labor make it a playground for the rich.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:23 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,100,014 times
Brentwood is the first place that comes to mind.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:29 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,291,837 times
True I guess Brentwood would be a lot more preppy than WeHo perhaps..and would be right next to Santa Monica and Beverly hills and not too far from WeHo..

I just don't really think of Brentwood having much of a younger demographic I guess I could be wrong..also it's mostly residential so if walking to nightlife or restaurants is important it might not be the best pick.

But nobody walks in L.A anyways right?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:51 PM

21,573 posts, read 16,079,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPL2013 View Post
This is the first time I am writing a post on this website, so I hope I am doing it right. I am going to be moving to LA in a couple of months, as I just got a new job. I was wondering which part of LA would be best for me and are there any specific neighborhoods in those areas you could recommend. I am a young (26 going to be 27 years old) clean cut straight white guy. Now some have put a negative stereotype, but I am the quintessential “white preppy pretty boy with a trust fund”. I am well educated (Harvard graduate with a MBA for Wharton Business School). Now as far as what I can afford on rent, my salary will be in the high six figures, so my budget can be very flexible. Also my jobs requires me to meet people all over LA, so commuting will not be an isuue as to where I live. My inertest include sporting events plus going to bars and restaurants’. I love to play golf & tennis, and polo. Also I love to swim, play water polo and crew (rowing). As I will be a newbie to the city I want to live in a neighborhood that has other people in my age group/demographic. For me the most important thing is to make some great friends whom I can do things with. I am a people person so I need people around me and in my life. So, based on this info what would be the best place for me in LA and if possible what would be the best neighborhood in that location……………… Thank you
If I were a 26 year old Harvard MBA about to earn high six figures while rowing, playing polo, golf, and tennis I would focus on Hollywood where I could try to sell fiction as I mixed and mingled with the other beautiful people.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:00 PM

83 posts, read 155,910 times
The true value in the neighborhood you choose will be population density. West LA, Hollywood and Santa Monica are hell holes. You probably have the money to get away from these crowds and inherent crime. Try Pacific Palisades/Malibu/Bel Air to the North or Palos Verdes/South Redondo to the South. These are all highly exclusive areas where most posters on the this list including me can't afford to live. Manhattan Beach/Hermosa as highly touted as they are have been overbuilt and is very crowded and crime prone due to the high tourism traffic. You can choose to go to where the action is at night but don't be fooled. Friends are made thru bonding in common interests and for that everyone must commute to get there. You may want to join a yachting club where they will be glad to meet you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles