Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,316,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
This is 100 percent accurate.

There was an article on Curbed about how some people in the hills around Pasadena want to block a new Child Care facility from being built at CalTech because it will cause too much traffic and noise.

A real-life quote:

A neighbor, who complains that, if the child-care center is built, her house on a nearby hill won't be "quiet and peaceful like it should be for a $5-million home."
Right, and that attitude could be in Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Palos Verdes, Pasadena, La Canada, Santa Barbara, Calabasas, Hollywood Hills... there's no designation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 03:14 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,631,903 times
I think people just associate the Westside as the epicenter of snobiness because of the media.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:16 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,313,382 times
I don't go to the west side much, sometimes we will go exploring and go to the west side and other parts of the LA area to understand the different regions and for variety's sake. But I don't really have much of a reason to ever go to the west side.

Consequently, if I lived on the west side I don't think there would ever be much reason to go to the "east side" other than for the same reasons that we currently go to the west side for - variety.

The vast majority of stuff in both areas is the same. That's the main reason people don't venture to the other side of the city much...why? There are certainly differences but not the kind of stuff you need to venture out on a daily basis for.

I personally feel more at home around a JPL or Caltech nerd crowd than a "west side" or "east side" crowd, but both segments have their good and bad. Both are snobby in their own right. A lot of the criticisms one has for the other...both of them actually have similar faults.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:29 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,858,095 times
I'm on the eastside all the time for work and for pleasure. But I wouldn't want to live on the east side. The crime rates are much higher and the criminally insane are allowed to roam the streets.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Both are snobby in their own right. A lot of the criticisms one has for the other...both of them actually have similar faults.
OK, unless you're talking about hipster lifestylism, I can see your point but other than that and I cannot stress this enough....people relating their disdain or distaste of elitists who use their luxury brand life as a mark of exclusivity is not akin to snobbiness. Some people also mistake that as "envy" but it what it's really saying is "why aren't things more easily attainable"?

Equating the two as one in the same is just missing the bigger picture.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,313,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
OK, unless you're talking about hipster lifestylism, I can see your point but other than that and I cannot stress this enough....people relating their disdain or distaste of elitists who use their luxury brand life as a mark of exclusivity is not akin to snobbiness. Some people also mistake that as "envy" but it what it's really saying is "why aren't things more easily attainable"?

Equating the two as one in the same is just missing the bigger picture.
The way I see it is that all of these little subcultures that people are generalizing about here very often have their own little marks of exclusivity. Just because one group uses money as their "scorecard" doesn't necessarily make them more snobby than a bunch of academics who use "works published" as some kind of indicator of exclusivity, or the ranking of schools they attended/work for. Or who has the most amount of eco friendly or "sustainable" crap or who is involved in the most political activism or whatever the metric is.

I think you are making an assumption that money is an inherently more obnoxious indicator just because it's more visible than some of this other stuff. And maybe it is, I don't necessarily disagree. But I think the gap of snobby and obnoxious behavior is a lot closer than most people think.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:53 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,881,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I'm on the eastside all the time for work and for pleasure. But I wouldn't want to live on the east side. The crime rates are much higher and the criminally insane are allowed to roam the streets.
The crime rates are not that much higher. And I have no idea what you mean by "criminally insane are allowed to roam the streets."

Old 03-06-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
if your family is rich why are you constantly bringing up class warfare and class issues? I'm not doubting they exist but it seems to be your #1 focus on every thread. this thread is about westsiders if they go east.
Did it not dive into a discussion about snobby westsiders vs working class eastsiders without me though? It started off by defending nighthouse's posts. I only bring up class issues because it boggles my mind how much poorer working people defend the rich when I can tell you that living in a rich household, most rich people could care less about working people and show it constantly. Yet, it's just out of some corny idea of mutual respect that a working person would be out of his bounds to say something like that.

Talking about LA without the grand canyon of a class divide that relates to the westside/eastside tiff is like talking about the Civil War without talking about slavery.

I agree I probably bring it up too much and go way into a social science overload and I apologize for that but I do wonder why does it make people so uncomfortable.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,316,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Did it not dive into a discussion about snobby westsiders vs working class eastsiders without me though? It started off by defending nighthouse's posts. I only bring up class issues because it boggles my mind how much poorer working people defend the rich when I can tell you that living in a rich household, most rich people could care less about working people and show it constantly. Yet, it's just out of some corny idea of mutual respect that a working person would be out of his bounds to say something like that.

Talking about LA without the grand canyon of a class divide that relates to the westside/eastside tiff is like talking about the Civil War without talking about slavery.

I agree I probably bring it up too much and go way into a social science overload and I apologize for that but I do wonder why does it make people so uncomfortable.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
When has one "working poor" person defended the rich? Give me an example?

Go to brentwood, pacific palisades, and north santa monica and a lot of the "working poor" who are in the service industry there despise the rich and show it. Even when rich are giving them huge tips. I speak from experience. Was harassed by gardeners, plumbers, housekeepers, cooks, counter service people as a kid growing up.

If anything wealthy westsiders, especially women, are too guilty and nice to the poor. They pay housekeepers $40 an hour, give 50% tips on takeout food, and go out of their way to help the poor and causes. It may be phony guilty white liberal bs to deal with their own egos/issues, but hey, its help.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:08 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,278,198 times
In real life who talks about this crap? I don't live in LA but have lot's of fiends and family who do. From the valley to the beach to DTLA, they travel to and fro to do the things they like to do and never discuss east/west issues. But I will say this, when it DOES come up is when some of the people living on the Westside say they would like to live in Los Feliz or whatever but don't want the commute to their westide jobs. The majority of the time the only thing tying someone to a place is the dread of a commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles