Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 02:07 PM

12 posts, read 21,288 times

Advertisements

Well you say you are finicky about hotels but based on the attractions you plan on visiting and your 200 a night budget, I get the feeling you may not be so finicky. Try a Best Western of some sort.

If you want to see LA a little nicer, I would suggest maybe at least springing for a room at the W, renting a car (public transportation here is sketchy if not dangerous depending on time of day especially), visiting Malibu for lunch one day, the Griffith Observatory, a quick walking tour around Hollywood Blvd (it's yucky there), Universal Studios (try a weekday if possible), and maybe downtown Chinatown for dim sum. You should also visit Rodeo Dr. at least just to check it out.

I would honestly considering staying at the beach, like in Santa Monica..but not sure if it's what you can spend. You should consider driving up to Santa Barbara for a night too. Maybe you can take Amtrak there or something. It really is difficult to be in LA without a car though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 PM

8 posts, read 10,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNita View Post
I visited LA last summer for 6 weeks. Forget the hotel I rented a house with off street parking. I will email you the place where I stayed right in Hollywood. It was convenient to everything and reasonably priced. I did months of research before I settled on this place. This was my first visit to LA so I understand the anxiety. Here is my original thread on this web site seeking advice. It has a lot of information.

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...things-do.html
Your list is awesome! Thank you for the link also!

Old 03-09-2013, 08:22 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Los Angeles: Itinerary Ideas - TripAdvisor

Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 PM

218 posts, read 362,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivy_michigan View Post
Great! Thank you all so much! The information has been very helpful. I'm not opposed to public transportation - just figured we would need a car to get to the beach. However, I am coming from Michigan where parking is typically on site and not an additional cost. Would you recommend forgoing the car rental?
I highly recommend a car.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:31 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,692 times
It's a lot easier with a car because things are so spread out and public transport leaves a lot to be desired. But almost all motels charge for parking - generally, the nicer the hotel, the higher the charge for parking. I would add that parking enforcement here is brutal. So if you drive and park on the street, be very clear on the regulations and don't be a minute late moving your car. I cannot stress this enough. I'm not trying to scare you - just kind of forewarning you so you know what to expect. Parking lots in some areas, such as the beach, are pricey. So consider that when you budget. $200 a night is not a lot for a hotel in LA - remember there is tax on the room rate - and since you are self-described as "picky" I'm not sure what to suggest except that you do read the review on Trip Advisor - some of which have photos taken by guests. Start with the Hollywood area - it'll give you a good idea on prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles