Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:55 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times

Advertisements

Here's one for all you commuters. I've lived in NE Los Angeles for about 20 years. I know the area fairly well, I use some shortcuts, but there is one commuter trick that I cannot figure out.

Sometimes I take the 110 south from Mt Washington, getting off at Stadium Way if the traffic on the freeway is bad. Without fail, there is always one or more commuters who get off with me. The difference is that instead of continuing down surface streets into downtown like I do, they get right back on the freeway! If there are ten people getting off at Stadium Way, 7 will always stop at the 110 South ramp (wasting time), then turn right back on to the freeway. I tried this myself once and gained absolutely no advantage from it. It was slower (big surprise), and I ended up in worse traffic than when I got off, taking longer to get to the office.

Any idea why anyone would do this every single workday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 06:01 PM

671 posts, read 1,190,810 times
Those people may be trying to get to Figueroa Terrace that runs into Beaudry. That is a good shortcut to get into downtown, especially if the destination is around LAUSD building area and even Bunker HIll or the Financial District. However, it may not make sense for your destination.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:42 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Having lived in Southern California for 20+ years, and having witnessed such behavior many, many times. The main reason is that folks want to "move" rather than being stuck in traffic. Getting off and getting back on allows that, but the real progress is negligible.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
I notice this too , people getting on 405 near Skirball Center/Sepulveda even when you can see there is traffic on the freeway... just going down Sepulveda seems to make more sense

Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 PM

Your describing MY goal. It's the people who get off like they are going to use that shortcut but don't that mystify me. I can understand getting off the freeway just to feel like you are moving forward (even if you are not), but getting off a crowded roadway only the get back on it is behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
Those people may be trying to get to Figueroa Terrace that runs into Beaudry. That is a good shortcut to get into downtown, especially if the destination is around LAUSD building area and even Bunker HIll or the Financial District. However, it may not make sense for your destination.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 PM

I see what you mean, but their 'progress' is non-existent. They are taking far longer dallying around with getting off, stopping, getting back on, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Having lived in Southern California for 20+ years, and having witnessed such behavior many, many times. The main reason is that folks want to "move" rather than being stuck in traffic. Getting off and getting back on allows that, but the real progress is negligible.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I do this sometimes. It's a frustration reducer for me.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM

337 posts, read 897,001 times
Like others said, probably just a placebo effect... they want to constantly be moving

But I'm the guy on the motorcycle squeezing between lanes so I can't justify such behavior

Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
i've used the same trick of getting off, then back on (with mixed results) when heading south on the 405 at santa monica blvd because the freeway exit and entrance are so long. the time savings is hit or miss depending on how long you sit at the light at SMB. if you exit and immediately get a green light, then you can cruise straight back to the freeway entrance lane and make up some ground on the cars that stay on the freeway, especially in very heavy traffic. if you hit red and have to sit and wait a while before proceeding back on the freeway, then you will most likely have lost ground on cars that stayed on the freeway.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
There's no way this behavior does anything but make the traffic worse for everyone. In San Jose, most freeway entrances have metering lights, so I never see it happen during commute hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles