U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:05 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,145,788 times

Advertisements

I always felt that while LA has its share of traffic issues, overall it was slightly better than NYC. After a recent visit to San Francisco, not surprised by their ranking either.

10 cities with the most frustrated motorists - Yahoo! Autos
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 11:23 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 11,337,958 times
Can I switch with you? What I would give to be able to live in NYC.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:28 AM

25,305 posts, read 17,119,296 times
I'm sure NYC traffic sucks..but you can get anywhere in the city by subway for the most part and bus.

It's a lot different in L.A where it's oftentimes faster to drive...unless you are going from subway station to subway station.

PDF, didn't you just move to L.A? ...and now you already want to move to NYC?

Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 AM

6,774 posts, read 10,587,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Didn't you just move to CA? And your already talking about living somewhere else?

Old 03-09-2013, 11:39 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 11,337,958 times
Gee! I have no problem with LA. But I've spent extensive time in NYC over the past few years, so I'd have moved to NYC instead of LA in a heartbeat if I had the money.

NYC has always been my endgame, a move to LA doesn't change that.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:07 PM

So you're just using L.A as a stepping stone to bigger and better things ..I see how it is .

It's not your true love...just a fling .

Old 03-09-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
In a New York Minute!!!!!

Old 03-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I'm sure NYC traffic sucks..but you can get anywhere in the city by subway for the most part and bus.

It's a lot different in L.A where it's oftentimes faster to drive...unless you are going from subway station to subway station.

PDF, didn't you just move to L.A? ...and now you already want to move to NYC?

Mostly true for Manhattan, then Brooklyn and The Bronx. Not so easy for Queens or Staten Island, and only commuter rails for Long Island and Westchester.

At the same time, the ridiculous number of water crossings between boroughs makes for major bottlenecks. Throw in some bad weather and it really is an unbearable nightmare.

One of the things we liked about LA was the lack of bridges and tunnels and the number of alternate side street routes available to many areas. OK, not so much between LA basin and the valley.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 PM

Those water crossings sound like a pain in the ass!

When I last went in October , stayed in Long Island City in Queens..but that's very close to Manhattan...and also pretty expensive to live there it seems....although def not as crazy as Manhattan.

I take it you don't like NYC or Bloomberg much, LOL.

I wish we had a bloomberg to clean up L.A though.

NYC seems to be tough on their regulations and laws while L.A is totally the opposite..not wanting to enforce anything...

what's the point of paying them if they don't want to enforce the laws?

Old 03-09-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Those water crossings sound like a pain in the ass!

When I last went in October , stayed in Long Island City in Queens..but that's very close to Manhattan...and also pretty expensive to live there it seems....although def not as crazy as Manhattan.

I take it you don't like NYC or Bloomberg much, LOL.

I wish we had a bloomberg to clean up L.A though.

NYC seems to be tough on their regulations and laws while L.A is totally the opposite..not wanting to enforce anything...

what's the point of paying them if they don't want to enforce the laws?
Trust me you do NOT want Bloomberg to do anything. He did not clean up NYC, he handed it over to his rich buddies so they could gut the soul out of it. But I digress.

Interesting comparison, thanks to jm1982's post.

He mentioned Long island City where I taught for 15 years. I lived in Bayside which is also in the same borough, Queens.

So I went onto Google maps to see what that commute maps out like. Also did a comparison between West Hollywood and the Fashion District in LA which roughly parallel the two communities.

Bayside to Long Island City: 12 miles, 21 minute driving commute ideal, 45 minute driving commute reallistically (based on experience), 55 minute public transportation commute (this is true for one part of Bayside but it becomes 2 hours for the northern side by experience)

West Hollywood to Fashion District: 12 miles, 21 minute driving commute ideal, 30 minute driving commute with traffic (google maps), 60 minute public transportation commute (google maps).

The major difference is that the NY commute is mostly through some pretty dingy gray areas about 10-15 minutes out of Bayside while the drive in LA has a slighly more pleasant view and never has to be done in snow!

Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or