Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,945 times

Advertisements

Recently been approved by santa monica to transfer my housing voucher from Seattle , Im soooo excited and love los Angeles .
I guess santa monica and L.A have different programs for section 8 . I chose santa monicas housing because well who wouldn't its a great atmosphere
Apparently before I made this arrangement I was clueless on how hard it was going to be , I'm sure some residents of SM feel me please if your on housing lead me to the right direction before things start looking sour for me .thanks guys

Old 05-25-2013, 09:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Do you have a job?
Age?
How will you support yourself?
Vehicle?
Married? Kids?

Old 05-25-2013, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,945 times
No job currently working saved over 4 thou . Hoping that'll take care of deposit .my share of rent .furniture nd rainyday fund
Transfering credits to smc
Ride a bike
No kids
Single

Old 05-28-2013, 11:16 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times
You've saved over $4,000.00 so far????

Well, who wouldn't when they have the government (taxpayers) paying most of their rent for them????

Lucky you!

I wish I could get the taxpayers to pay for digs for me in Santa Monica!

Anyone else see why we need to overhaul this (Section 8) program?

Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post

Well, who wouldn't when they have the government (taxpayers) paying most of their rent for them????
And utilities.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:39 PM

13 posts, read 41,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post

Lucky you!

I wish I could get the taxpayers to pay for digs for me in Santa Monica!

Anyone else see why we need to overhaul this (Section 8) program?
Seriously. Absolutely infuriating. I hate this crap. I worked to go to school, get a good job, etc...and these people get to live in a nicer place for much less than I would pay because I make too much money.

Overhaul indeed...at the very least there is no need to provide luxury apartments in prime areas (such as the new buildings all over downtown SM). Completely ridiculous.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:09 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asunday View Post
Seriously. Absolutely infuriating. I hate this crap. I worked to go to school, get a good job, etc...and these people get to live in a nicer place for much less than I would pay because I make too much money.

Overhaul indeed...at the very least there is no need to provide luxury apartments in prime areas (such as the new buildings all over downtown SM). Completely ridiculous.
It is infuriating. I'm not against the government providing housing for low income people per se, but why in very expensive, nice areas? Seems OP has more savings than many working Americans and is fit to work.

This reminds me of a 40 something spry guy I went on a hike with, who collects over 2000 a month on disability because he once threw his back out at work.

Or a young man I know totally financially supported by parents, but was able to get an EBT card because he had nothing in his bank account, which he uses sells for cash to buy alcohol.

Must be nice to be able to chill all day by the beach eating Taco Bell (EBT benefit) with Uncle Sam paying your rent, utilities, even spending cash

Last edited by disgruntled la native; 05-28-2013 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 01:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
The only thing you can do it contact the housing authority for a list of places that currently accept section 8. There is not much in SM itself but there is at least one building I know about that used to accept sec 8, the waitlist is unknown though and that is what you need to know.

What work will you be planning on doing? Unless you are permenantly disabled or something that may force a move from section 8 to plane old "cheap" housing in a different area once you get a job, so I wouldn't count on relocating to SM for any length of time unless you have some great skill or are open to roommates. Even with housing partially covered you need to work to live there, you won't get enough benefits to be a full timer.

Last edited by Ceece; 05-28-2013 at 02:36 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 01:29 PM

171 posts, read 530,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
And utilities.
Actually, I pay my own utilities. The only amount of money I've been able to save over the years is the $1000 I have in a payable on death account for my cremation (which hopefully isn't imminent). I don't live in luxury, and most days I'm in too much pain to even get to the beach. Also, I don't even have an EBT card. So, people here shouldn't judge everyone who gets help with housing costs based on one person.

And since I don't know the full life story of the OP I won't make any comment about them.

And if anyone wants to make a comment about my having a computer and internet access -- well, when people upgrade to better systems I've been able to get their unwanted computers over the years, and I stick to cheap dial-up. My TV broke a couple of years ago and I still haven't managed to save enough to replace it and never have had cable or sattelite. So, I'm glad I have the internet for the days I have to stay home. So again, not everyone who receives assistance from the government is scamning and/or living in luxury.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:39 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,012,512 times
you'll be lucky if you make it for a month on $4000.00 - in a dumpy area.
Santa Monica is one of the most expensive areas of LA.

Hope you have some marketable skills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles