Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,903 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at moving to LA to work for a business located in Downtown LA about 2 blocks from the Metro Center subway station.

I'd like to ditch my truck and be able to primarily use public transportation, with the occasional use of a ZipCar or renting a car on the occasions when I need a vehicle.

I'm looking for a one bedroom rental (apartment, condo or whatever) in an area where I could walk to a good grocery store and other basic needs, that would have good transit connections to downtown, preferably 30 mins or less travel time, and with Owl service (all-night bus routes) in the area.

Some nightlife in the general area would be great--but not an absolute necessity. I'm gay, so an area with an urban vibe is always interesting (I mean coffee shops, small independent businesses, etc-but it doesn't have to be too "gritty")-but also 50 years old--so I don't go out like I used to.

And I'd like to keep the rent to not more than $1600--but I'd really prefer to keep it around $1000 if I can (even cheaper is better-but I'm not going to be ridiculous and look for the impossible).

What areas would people recommend I look? Am I looking for the impossible? Or how close to my wish list can I get?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 12:28 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,352,605 times
Well, good luck on keeping the rent low. Especially if you want to live in a happening area.

Try looking into Pasadena, easy commute to downtown LA on the Gold line.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:23 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,786,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambear62 View Post
I'm looking at moving to LA to work for a business located in Downtown LA about 2 blocks from the Metro Center subway station.

I'd like to ditch my truck and be able to primarily use public transportation, with the occasional use of a ZipCar or renting a car on the occasions when I need a vehicle.

I'm looking for a one bedroom rental (apartment, condo or whatever) in an area where I could walk to a good grocery store and other basic needs, that would have good transit connections to downtown, preferably 30 mins or less travel time, and with Owl service (all-night bus routes) in the area.

Some nightlife in the general area would be great--but not an absolute necessity. I'm gay, so an area with an urban vibe is always interesting (I mean coffee shops, small independent businesses, etc-but it doesn't have to be too "gritty")-but also 50 years old--so I don't go out like I used to.

And I'd like to keep the rent to not more than $1600--but I'd really prefer to keep it around $1000 if I can (even cheaper is better-but I'm not going to be ridiculous and look for the impossible).

What areas would people recommend I look? Am I looking for the impossible? Or how close to my wish list can I get?

Thanks for the help!
Hollywood, East Hollywood, Koreatown are all urban, transit friendly and have units at your price point - I've seen a couple really nice 2 BR's in those areas recently, so surely finding a 1 BR will not be an issue for 1k-1.5k a month.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:38 PM

919 posts, read 1,777,100 times
It's always amusing when someone asks about a certain area that we need to consider someones sexual preference, read gay, as being important, and, in addition, that being gay then means that a certain "urban"vibe is needed in order to find happiness. Let me ask you, you can't find contentment as a gay person in, oh, a bedroom community without an "urban" vibe, whatever the hell that means? Or are you stuck in some make believe world of media spin and PR which tells you how to live and what to think? I guess it's nice to know that gay people aren't any different than breeders, they're just as delusional as anyone else....

Old 03-17-2013, 04:43 PM

23,335 posts, read 23,735,200 times
South Pasadena is a nice area. Safe, with an upscale downtown area. The Gold Line has a station on Mission Blvd, which would make commuting to Downtown LA a breeze.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,903 times
Default Talking about being gay in posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
It's always amusing when someone asks about a certain area that we need to consider someones sexual preference, read gay, as being important, and, in addition, that being gay then means that a certain "urban"vibe is needed in order to find happiness. Let me ask you, you can't find contentment as a gay person in, oh, a bedroom community without an "urban" vibe, whatever the hell that means? Or are you stuck in some make believe world of media spin and PR which tells you how to live and what to think? I guess it's nice to know that gay people aren't any different than breeders, they're just as delusional as anyone else....
I mentioned this because at least in my experience from living in Chicago, Dallas, and Washington D.C. this implies living in neighborhoods that are non-suburban, more artsy and full of small shops and interesting people. It also tells people that I'm not necessarily interested in the quality of the schools. You're right--I should probably have described myself as just single--which would have said much the same thing.

But I don't appreciate the comments about being delusional when I think I was being pretty open about my hopes and understanding that I might be asking for too much. However, I think its better to ask for what you hope to find and be told you'll have to scale back than it is to wind up missing out on finding a place you might have missed because you didn't know about it.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:08 PM

18 posts, read 41,592 times
You should check out koreantown. Downtown is easily reachable by public transportation or perfect if you're into biking. You can find places on the lower end of your budget and use the extra funds to spend in coffee shops, small businesses, etc.. I must note that koreantown might not meet all of your social life requirements but will do if you're only going out 1-2 nights a week(commuting). If you want to be an in ideal setting that will more than likely meet all of your requirements, i would highly suggest west Hollywood. About 40% of all the males there are gay. It has many coffee shops and "sophisticated " bars if you're into that. You could also always find a roommate to free up extra money.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:58 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,592,712 times
You'll like Downtown itself.

If you have issues, please post them and I can answer, but I'm positive from your posting you will like DTLA.

Studio loft in the heart of downtown!!

BTW, if you contact the above place, or for that matter answer any craigslist ad, make absolutely sure that you contact the buildings management office before you sign anything. The building in that ad has their own units, and then others under private ownership who also rent them out. You need to be certain the person you are leasing from does in fact have the rights to lease out that unit. The above building...well theres good and bad depending on your tolerance. Its right next to a metro station(but you'll want to walk to work...the next station near where your work is is only about 5-6 short blocks), its very close to all the bars and restaurants on Spring, Main, Broadway, and 7th, and its in the middle of artwalk(monthly). Unfortunately the street element in the area isn't the greatest. But this is just a low cost example.

And oh yeah, across the street at Pershing Square, theres an Enterprise with $9.99/day 150 mile max rentals.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,250 times
Default Another Carless NYC > LA Inquiry

I'm going to jump on this thread because it seems like it's the most relevant to my situation. I currently live in Manhattan and have been offered a job at USC. I've been spoiled in Manhattan because I haven't needed a car. Hell, I've lived here my whole life -- I don't even have a license! And that's never been an issue. I've been to LA several times, so I know that it's car culture. I also know that if I live Downtown, I can commute to USC by train. If I live Downtown, will I be OK without a car for basic things like a bank, post office, grocery store, and yoga studio? Is that part of LA bike friendly? I'd love to hear from folks who live Downtown now, or who have experience with the USC/Downtown commute. Are there furniture stores nearby? Does Ikea deliver? Any - and all! - stories are welcome! Thanks!

Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 PM

671 posts, read 1,185,328 times
Also, people of all sexual orientations would like to be near places where they can socialize with others like themselves and find some intimate companionship or live in an area that won't even notice the most flamboyant of individuals or at least live in an area that just doesn't care who the person is or whom they with to sleep with. There are parts of the LA area where intolerant church goers still rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles