Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 PM

193 posts, read 465,205 times

Advertisements

Car free in LA is definitely possible and definitely doable though it has constraints

I think the ideal is the hybrid of having a car and using transit. Lots of things where a car would be nice, especially the more naturey stuff and some areas not as well served by transit. However, there are some things where transit is great. And the in between where one would drive to a metro station, park and just take the train the rest of the way

For a vast region with a relatively new system (im not talking historically with the red cars, just the current iteration of MTA) I think the system is great, and I was able to explore A LOT of LA without a car though I am also not one to care if I have to walk extra since I love to walk around anyways. I cant wait till it expands more though-- when more lines are built I think it might have at least some domino effect where MTA will finally make more of a presence. MTA really sucks at promoting themselves though. A good chunk of the general public opinion on what public transportation is like here is stuck like 15 years in the past
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times
What do you (or anyone else) think the effect the completion of the Expo line will have? It's supposed to be up and running to Santa Monica in 2015 or 2016, right?

I'm looking forward to it. LA Live/Downtown LA to Santa Monica in 45(?) minutes. One person here said it will just invite more homeless into the Westside, and that it won't make a difference as everyone will just drive anyway.

I think it will be a good thing, but whether it has a big impact is another question. I'm looking forward to all the improvements Metro makes, whether or not I actually use their services.

The above post hit the nail on the head, it seems like car-lite is a good way to go in LA. However I bet most people just drive all the time because it's so much easier. I could see myself becoming car-lite, but then I might just be tempted to drive all the time.

Still, LA is trying. Some other cities wouldn't put this much effort in.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:05 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
I do agree it would be difficult to get around without a car.

I crucial aspect though is what area you live in and where you work.

L.A does have a reputation for sprawl , but it is true there are quite a few areas that are walkable too.

Also since Zipcars were mentioned , I recently noticed that there a are a couple of sites where you can rent cars (or rent out your car ) by the hour or day from individual owners. Kind of an "AirBNB" model for cars..

Getaround - Peer-to-peer car sharing and local car rental

https://relayrides.com/

I guess one advantage might be that you could find a car close to your home versus zipcar. Not sure too much how prices compare, but the prices seemed pretty affordable. It said some cars even have onstar which allows the owner to unlock the car remotely and then you can get the keys from inside.

Not totally sure if I'd want to rent my car out ....but it seems like it could be a possible way to make some extra money if you are on vacation or out of town or something...

Might be fun to rent one for a day or so to try out a convertible or a different kind of car and seems you can probably get different types of cars than you could get through a rental agency.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
As a lifelong resident, I'll give the other view. Not everyone goes out of their way to unusual areas. I've had a car since I could drive, and I've never driven anywhere outside of LA county. Ventura twice for work related stuff. No South Bay (once or twice), no Long Beach. The neighborhood I live in now, everything I need is walkable (this applies to much of West LA, West Hollywood, Hollywood, Koreatown, Downtown, even parts of Santa Monica).

I wouldn't waste leisure time driving around neighborhoods for no reason. True, some unusual ethnic cuisine may only be reachable by car, but a variant of it will be walking or bus distance.

The only reason I personally hesitate to give up a car is work. If you solely rely on public transit, depending on your field, your access to jobs can get very limited or very frustrating (like 3 transfers and 3 hours). Everything is you don't need a car for here.
I can't imagine this at all - in LA or anywhere else. But I really like to drive. When I'm in Tennessee I go for drives in the country all the time. When in LA, I love to go up to Big Bear, out to Joshua Tree, down to the San Diego Zoo or Safari Park. Just tons of great places to go. I love historic and natural areas, and there are many but they require a drive.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Yeah that is true, there is a lot to see within a relatively short drive of the L.A area...but I guess the question is whether or not it's "worth it" to buy a car , pay payments, insurance, maintance, etc on the car year round if you can get around using public transportation...an then when you want to go to Big Bear, Joshua Tree,San Diego etc renting a car for the weekend..

I'm guess it just depends how often you do plan on getting out of town for the weekend versus staying in town.

I've lived in L.A my whole life and there's still tons of stuff I still haven't checked out in the L.A metro area alone.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,302,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I can't imagine this at all - in LA or anywhere else. But I really like to drive. When I'm in Tennessee I go for drives in the country all the time. When in LA, I love to go up to Big Bear, out to Joshua Tree, down to the San Diego Zoo or Safari Park. Just tons of great places to go. I love historic and natural areas, and there are many but they require a drive.
That's you. And that's fine you like drives. but a lot of people (myself included) don't care for long aimless drives. for me, driving = gas costs, freaking out about police pulling over, and worrying about other nuts on the road. plus parking.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,459 times
Quote:
That's you. And that's fine you like drives. but a lot of people (myself included) don't care for long aimless drives. for me, driving = gas costs, freaking out about police pulling over, and worrying about other nuts on the road. plus parking.
I wasn't suggesting my opinions were universal or that everyone should share them - just adding my two cents. Driving here is a real challenge. When want to just drive I tend to head up the 5 toward the Grapevine, or out to the Antelope Valley - it's the path of least resistance.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:03 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Quote:
Fear. That explains your self-imposed insularity. You're missing a lot of good eats out there, not to mention funky, out of the way places to see.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 PM

57 posts, read 86,174 times
Quote:
I hear you. Something i'm facing myself. I've had a car since I was 16, but the costs of maintaining and keeping a car is getting tiresome. Car insurance is astronomical, regular services, gas is only going up, constant fear of speeding tickets/parking tickets/fender benders, paying for parking, getting stuck in traffic. Going carless would save me several grand a year EASY.

But it only makes sense to go carless if you live in a central area where public transit will get you from pt a to pt b easily. Like Santa Monica to Westwood, or even Santa Monica to Downtown. If you're living in Beverly Hills and working in Burbank, you're SOL. 3 buses and 3 hours. Therefore, going carless will save you tons of money and headache, but limit where you can work.
gotcha!

nope, it won't limit where you can work. why? simple. as soon as you get a job you like, find a home right nearby which will allow you to bike or walk to work or use some type of easy transport. people refuse to move. that's the problem.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:12 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,844,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Fear. That explains your self-imposed insularity. You're missing a lot of good eats out there, not to mention funky, out of the way places to see.
My mindset is - Places like that are why I have a car that mostly collects dust. I'd rather not drive, but if I have to I am certainly more than capable of it.

There is a reason so many had their minds blown by Cyclavia... by getting out of their cars for once, they saw a city that had been blurred at 30 MPH. The next one is going to be awesome, DTLA to the Beach via Venice, a street that is surely rarely walked or cycled down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles