Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:42 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times

Advertisements

Yeah exactly...there seems to be this big myth that jobs pay so much better here..but they don't seem to be based on facts.

To test this out.. offer a job on craigslist at min wage and see how many applicants you will get..

Would be interesting to know how many of these hipsters from the midwest and other areas living it up in L.A are being supported by out of state family money.

Boosting the prices up for everyone else.

i had read an article recently stating that the rich aren't moving ..it's the middle class and some of the poor moving out and it's more rich people replacing them in L.A .

This is why you see that areas that used to be 'middle class' are now considered upscale desirable areas.

You see shopping areas that used to have 'normal' stores being torn down and replaceed with upscale boutiques.

Dive bars replaced with upscale cocktail lounges,etc etc .

The Key Club on Sunset is closing to become an outpost of an exclusive NYC club.

Exclusive NYC Nightclub Replacing Key Club on the Sunset Strip: LAist

This could all be great if you are part of the 'elite' or moneyed class....but I don't think many of us are in that boat..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 01:02 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Nor does a $35k/yr office worker in Dallas or Des Moines suddenly get $70k for the same job in LA to offset the cost of living increase.
Yes, but that move would only make sense (in dollar terms) if the job was a move UP.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:03 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah exactly...there seems to be this big myth that jobs pay so much better here..but they don't seem to be based on facts.
I think the perception is there because you can make a lot of money in certain fields. If you're in video production, you're probably going to do a lot better in LA than Omaha. Software developers are going to have more high-paying opportunities in San Jose or even LA than Memphis. But for less specialized, more mid-skill jobs, you're going to make similar money almost anywhere in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
i had read an article recently stating that the rich aren't moving ..it's the middle class and some of the poor moving out and it's more rich people replacing them in L.A .

This is why you see that areas that used to be 'middle class' are now considered upscale desirable areas.
Cities like LA are moving toward a two class society. Many more former middle class areas are now lower class slums. The wealthy crowd into small but very expensive areas to avoid the poor areas.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 PM

Yeah what is kind of scary about this is that it is very similar to third world countries where the elite are in safe secure areas and the rest is poor people .

It seems that's the way we are going here too if not already there.

Last edited by jm1982; 03-19-2013 at 01:31 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 02:35 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Everytime I read these threads I just shake my head. I just don't see what people are talking about.

I don't "pay" for the good weather. Good weather believe it or not is just icing on the cake.

And I don't think a lot of people necessarily pay more, if they really want to live here. They simply: accept smaller living space.
California living is like Europe. You just have to accept smaller living spaces, and most Americans don't want to do that.

Now personally, I struggled for a little bit when I got here for the first several months, and still somewhat am, but it has NOTHING to do with LA. I simply wanted to continue my career here, and it takes time to get your feet in the door, gain senoirity, which takes time. My costs are not any different for me personally. Its just in a city, in where the hinterlands are all flat, private farmland (midwest, Texas) with nothing to explore, I would value buying a home with a yard, whereas in California, much less of a priority.

The reason I don't need much space, is because I have seemingly limitless public lands to explore. Now yes I could live in other western states, but I'd be breaking the 9th or 10th commandment a lot, and coveting my neighbors wife, because most of the rest of the west, is 3 single guys to every single girl. Plus, California has way more natural diversity to explore even more than other western states. I'm better educated myself going on roadtrips to natural areas, and feel more qualified to teach my subject matter, than I would if I were in the midwest. Plus, I'm self conscious moving from an already blue state to a red state, as I'm not that macho.

Thats my story.

FYI: My favorite areas in LA, are those that close to nature:

Playa del Rey area on the coast and some extent, MDR/Venice somewhat (free parking by beach if you know where to look and few remaining wetlands), the neighborhoods between DTLA and Pasadena (Eagle Rock, etc.), Topanga for obvious reasons, including all and any foothill communities (including obviously Pasadena), the stretch from Santa Clarita to Palmdale, and the surrounding Thousand Oaks area.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
The reason I don't need much space, is because I have seemingly limitless public lands to explore.
This makes no sense. Being able to drive 20 miles, then pay to park, and take a walk in "nature" (which is still likely within earshot of houses) is not a substitute for an extra bedroom or two.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:19 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Well, there is the factor known as the "sunshine tax" or "sunshine discount" - where there is a premium attached to living in an area with balmy weather. You find that in California cities, Hawaii, Florida, and even Vancouver, BC (which has relatively mild weather for Canada).

Old 03-19-2013, 04:33 PM

630 posts, read 994,437 times
LA has the best weather in the country, no question about it! It's worth all the costs.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:55 PM

silverkris, you mentioned Florida...but there are some really great deals there right now in nice areas near the beach.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:45 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
This makes no sense. Being able to drive 20 miles, then pay to park, and take a walk in "nature" (which is still likely within earshot of houses) is not a substitute for an extra bedroom or two.
I don't pay to park.

Every area in California is truly different. Even with 20 miles of LA. Topanga area is nothing like the Angeles National forest is nothing like the Palos Verdes peninsula. My degree is in physical geography. I know about diversity in climate zones, ecosystems, and geologic formations, and how California compares to other states.

I also don't have a family. So I don't need an extra bedroom or two. Besides I was referring more to my own yard. I don't need my own yard. But if I was living somewhere where its all private farms with nothing to do or see, you would need your own yard to connect with nature in anyway.

And whats this "nature"? in quotations??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles