Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times

Advertisements

Wow, it's pretty funny reading all those former posts from the OP. Sure, there is nothing wrong with moving across the country and taking a leap of faith. But you need to have a plan, and not leave the next day at the first sign of trouble.

I picked up and left. It is possible. And sometimes people do go with no plan and it works out, but the OP is young, had no plan, and was oblivious to what awaited him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,077 times
Seems like he read to many Anthony Robbins and similar motivation books... Nothing wrong with that because I've occasionally do read them, but ya need to do more than read the book and jump into the water unprepare.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Wow, it's pretty funny reading all those former posts from the OP.
Here's another one: //www.city-data.com/forum/28593783-post4.html

Old 03-26-2013, 12:23 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
This thread reminds me of some sort of screwball action-comedy they'd make back in the 1980s...

Young guy shows up from the sticks--gets off the bus in LA in the morning--and the entire day turns into a series of wacky misadventures all over LA as the poor innocent out-of-towner gets taken by the sleazy and wacky locals--except for one beautiful hooker with a heart of gold who's willing to help him out... After a series of comic vignettes taking in a cross section of LA life including Beverly Hills fat cats and stereotyped gang members (ala the Michael Douglas thriller Falling Down albeit with laughs) and a plot involving missing gold belonging to a local crime boss or something our plucky hero manages to beat the odds, but ends up taking the first bus back to Texas with his new found love the next morning.

"No thanks, LA," he says as the bus pulls into the desert towards Barstow...
I think I watched this one - was it Jeff Goldblum or Steve Guttenberg as the small towner, and Michelle Pfeifer as the hooker with the heart of gold?

Seriously, if the OP's story is true, he should flesh out a script over where he is living now in BFE, mail it in, and maybe he can really swim with the sharks the next time he drops in on us in LA with a script in production!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Now that's a good one. Hey, I've been here over a month. I didn't decide to leave within my first 3 hours.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Right on!

Yes!

Sound advice.

All you need is faith.

JUST BELIEVE!

Go get'em tiger!

Bonne Chance!

Oh ...
Ahahaha!

I can't stop laughing.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:29 AM

872 posts, read 2,028,921 times
Saddly, this happens nearly every single day Im sure. Kids packing up their stuff to move to the big city with no clue how to survive. Its called patience, my friends. All you need is a little patience. This isn't the 60's or 70's when people just moved to LA and randomly became millionaires over night. LA is a different city these days.

Although, if you are young and you dont want to go to college, my advice is to get a job at In-N-out burger. If you work hard enough for 10-15 years, youll be making $150k/year

Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
my advice is to get a job at In-N-out burger. If you work hard enough for 10-15 years, youll be making $150k/year
Hearsay on the web says that's for regional managers after they are put through school....

Old 03-31-2013, 09:11 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Wow, I always assumed OP was a long time LA resident based on the fact they always give advice on LA.

Moving to a crappy area with no money, job or acquaintances isn't the best idea.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
So my story is finally here. After talking about LA on this forum for God-knows how many years, I finally made the move 2 days ago. I was moving from a small town in FL to the big city of LA. Got here on a Saturday. I was very surprised at the weather. When I was in the plane, the sky was clearly blue. When I got off the plane, it was overcast. So that was weird. Got my luggage. Waited for my shuttle. We get to the place I'm staying in near Koreatown. I think the area was Rampart Village or whatever. The people were nice. They helped me with my things up the stairs. I get inside, the place is a disaster. Dirty, cramped, and disorganized from head to toe. I didn't know what to think. It certainly didn't look like that from the photos on the internet. I was going to be renting a bunk in a room basically like a hostel. The place was a mess. Not only that but the owner didn't even have my bunk ready. After he met me and introduced me to the place, he took me upstairs and looked around because he didn't know where I was going to sleep! I was so shocked he didn't have this prepared before hand. So he gave me his bed (yeah he lives there too!) and he was going to move to the girl's room. I couldn't believe this. I got stressed and sat on the stairs in the house for hours contemplating what I could next to get out of this situation. I was mortified. I was willing to deal with the place if the area was safe and I could do what I need to do like look for jobs. But literally no one was giving me a straight answer.

The owner lied to me the day before when I called him and asked about the area. He hesitated and said yeah..it was pretty safe. PRETTY SAFE??? Some people in the house told me crime was up and down and others told me to watch your back. That did it for me. I was NOT staying there and risking my life. The deal breaker for me is crime. Plain and simple. I will move halfway around the world to get to a place I want to be in. But if my living situation is not clean and safe, I'm done. So my sister called and she basically invited me to come out to Texas so I booked a greyhound for the next day. Made a stupid move and paid for the cheapest hotel I could find - which was all the way down in Gardena. I ended up paying more in taxi fees than the hotel.

I am now in Texas. All I can say is LA was definitely a learning experience. I have no judgements for the city because I only stayed in one area and saw a few sights. So I don't think that would be fair to do. But I will say that I will be back and do things the right way next time. I am going to have alot more money in savings ($5,000+) and will rent out a room instead of a bunk. I am going to get a transfer from my job so I have a job ready. And I will VISIT the area first before I live there. I absolutely will be back.
sorry you had such a bad experience, but it was a learning one at least. Even saying you will rent a room next time and have at $5,000 in savings might not be enough. Now, as for visiting, of course you want to visit the area first..There are many great areas in and around Los Angeles, but they are not cheap..There are many areas you wouldn't want to walk around at night, they are cheaper...Good luck next time..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles