Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM

270 posts, read 837,947 times

Advertisements

What would you guys say are the lowest traffic parts of the westside? I'm talking in terms of driving to nearby amenities, not commuting anywhere specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Generally further away from the 405 the better. Unfortunately traffic is found everywhere, even on the coast and thru Sunset Blvd in the Pacific Palisades. The only sure shot where there would seldom be traffic is commuting within the city limits of Santa Monica, particularly north of Wilshire Blvd.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Generally further away from the 405 the better. Unfortunately traffic is found everywhere, even on the coast and thru Sunset Blvd in the Pacific Palisades. The only sure shot where there would seldom be traffic is commuting within the city limits of Santa Monica, particularly north of Wilshire Blvd.
Yeah - and crossing a highway always turns into a mess, avoid at all costs. Areas immediately surrounding main surface street arteries are naturally congested - Wilshire, Pico, Venice, Jefferson, Washington, Bundy/Centinela, Sawtelle, Sepulveda, etc. The further into neighborhoods - ie - away from these streets you get, the less traffic you will see. Of course, there are pockets of traffic everywhere on the west side, especially around small shopping areas which attract people from other parts of the City.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:30 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
I would say almost everywhere.

Streets and areas that have gotten worst in the last 10 years. Santa Monica. All of it. Esp around Arizona? That use to be a sleepy little street. But then you add an ice rink, a bunch of offices, suddenly it turns into a typical SM street (say on the weekends).

San Vicente, and Brentwood have always struck me as crazy and aggressive. Wilshire is virtually the 2nd 405 now.

Parts of Culver City have remained reasonable by LA, westside standards. Pico has gone insane. Westchester is another reasonable area. I think the lack of shopping and development (by LA standards) has kept it reasonable.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:53 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
San Vicente in santa monica and brentwood rarely gets backed up though. All the worst backup occurs about a half mile leading into the 405, either direction. So Barrington going east, Westwood or Veteran going west.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
San Vicente has always struck me as very fast.

Pico sure has become a mess, esp around the 405. Westwood might be the most undrivable part of west la (at least in my opinion). So little parking.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
When living in West L.A , I really noticed the difference between Mon-Fri Traffic and weekend traffic. The West L.A area didn't have much traffic during the weekends for the most part , and it was pretty pleasant driving around. Weekdays were pretty much a nightmare.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times
This is like asking for the least smelliest transient at the Santa Monica beach.

I don't think a low traffic part of West LA exist (anymore).

Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Bundy is probably the fastest of the north/south arterials.

Ohio Avenue was my go to street for passing through under the 405. It only works during non peak hours though. Otherwise, it's as jacked up as the others.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
San Vicente has always struck me as very fast.

Pico sure has become a mess, esp around the 405. Westwood might be the most undrivable part of west la (at least in my opinion). So little parking.
Agreed, always took it as a shortcut. If we're talking San Vicente in Brentwood/Santa Monica area...

Also, to me, driving Westside is all about timing. Where I live, (Palms) and the adjacent areas, are only bad in early morning and after 5 but that's also dependent up which way you're driving. I say stay out of Santa Monica between the hours of 5-7 especially on Fridays. Venice moves except in early morning and between 5-7 but other than that most westside traffic isn't that bad to me. Beverly Hills is pretty bad though, forgot about that. But usually around same hours. If you can work close to home and you'll never feel the burn that people in LA complain about when it comes to traffic. I can't say that traffic bothers me that much in LA, i've never really commuted to work and when i did it was always against traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles