Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:43 PM

4,645 posts, read 4,509,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Way too close together. 1/2 mile at the closest.

I've lived in a place with stops that close together. It's miserably tedious.
I would put metro/subway stops 1/4 mile apart in the denser areas and further apart in the less dense residential areas. I would also add dedicated express tracks for skip-stop service.

I would locate the stations in the downtown areas of the surrounding cities (or adjacent to the downtown areas to accommodate parking) with recreational bike paths throughout each city connecting the transportation hubs with the downtown areas, schools etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 11:56 AM

10,084 posts, read 15,774,395 times
Keep in mind this is only possible if we are playing with Monopoly money:

I wouldn't change anything about the actual layout of the city, I think the grand commercial boulevards every 1/2 mile or so with dense residential on the streets in between is a great way to build a city as it makes nearly every part of the city relatively walkable and close to transit.

I would build out the LRT/HRT system so it has the coverage of the old Red Cars but with grade separation nearly everywhere. Like Mr. Zero I would also build double tracking for express service.

In a 2 mile radius from DTLA stations would be about 1/4 mile apart. From about 2-10 miles they would be 1/2 mile apart. Beyond that stations would be 1 mile apart, with the exception being towards the Westside, where they would remain 1/2 mile apart.

I would through-run, electrify and double track the Metrolink, making it run more like a BART-type system.

On most major boulevards (Hollywood, Sunset, Santa Monica, Beverly, 3rd, Wilshire, Olympic, Pico, Washington, Venice, Adams, Jefferson, Vernon, Slauson, Florence, Manchester - Figueroa, Vermont, Western, Crenshaw, La Brea, Fairfax, La Cienega) I would make bus-only lanes that run a service similar to the Metro Rapid, with stops spaced out similarly to the Metro Rail system described above. The Westside would also have something like this provided by BBB. Somehow would also create some bus-only lanes on the more scattered Eastside (the hills make the grid non-uniform and harder to run buses just down one street). I would also implement something similar in the Valley, though under the branding of the Orange Line.

I would promote building 3-4 story mixed-use residential on the mostly-commercial boulevards, preserving the medium-density and low-density neighborhoods between the big streets. I would also implement narrowing and traffic-calming measures on these residential streets, to discourage motorists from cutting through them to avoid the traffic of the main roads.

I would completely implement Express Lanes on all major freeways (101, 110S, 10, 134, 210, 405, 105, 5), discouraging the use of the already-massively-congested routes and encouraging the use of the incredible transit system (not that anyone needs encouraging, it's the best in the world now!)

I would purchase several of the country clubs / golf courses in the middle of the city and convert them into large parks ala Balboa Park in the Valley.

Lastly I would encourage more of these small lot quasi-townhomes that are being built all over Hollywood and the Eastside. They are nice sensible density and provide the middle class with some purchasing opportunities. I would also encourage back yard residences, which preserve the character of SFH neighborhoods while increasing the number of residential units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles