Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 06:43 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
Yes, they are very different. Not necessarily better or worse than the other, it just comes down to what you prefer. Perhaps because I grew up on the stuff I prefer Tex-Mex hands down. But had I grown up in LA I might think differently.

In LA was the first time I ever had a soft tortilla taco, like from the taco trucks. They don't have those in Tex-Mex. I am not saying you can't find them in Texas, but it isn't something that is served in a restaurant. I'm sure you can get them from a taco truck though.

Even something as simple as enchiladas are totally different. Tex-Mex enchiladas are made with corn tortillas, whereas those in LA are typically flour. Even the cheeses used are different.

The Herrera's restaurant I love in Dallas has the best ground beef I have ever had anywhere. I can't remember the Spanish name for it. But I think it's ground beef with corn meal and spices. It has an amazing flavor. I haven't run into anything like it anywhere else.

where did you have enchiladas made with flour tortillas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 06:46 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
where did you have enchiladas made with flour tortillas?

I don't remember actually. I've stopped getting enchiladas for the most part because I haven't been able to find any good ones out here. It's been a while.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:35 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,704 times
Mexican food in CA is vastly superior to what you get in TX. I lived in Dallas for a short time, went to tons of Mexican restaurants. I found a very good one but the vast majority were terrible compared to what you can get in CA.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:29 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CALI MEX!!!! seriously, you cant compare. and i think LA has a greater variety of mexican places. you have DF places, oaxaca places, tortas GDL style. it is more authentic. and flour tortillas for enchiladas is blasphemous!!! who does that? i do agree that there are a lot of marisco places in LA. even trucks that offer mariscos. thats the diversity that LA has. all of mexican cuisine, from high cuisine fusions to veracruz style fish. LA hands down.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:39 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Carne Guisada is like a stew. Carne Asada is usually grilled. There's a difference.

I don't know about the rest of Texas, but in Houston, Carne Asada is probably similar to Tacos Al Carbon, or fajitas.
NO...lol...carne asada is not like fajitas!! I can get fajitas anywhere....

Old 11-07-2007, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 6,518 times
I've lived in California my whole life and only visited Texas a few times. The only difference I've noticed is that the meat in Texas is fresher and tastier. Maybe the cattle have more room to graze and that keeps them healthier. I've seen cattle housed up in small quarters up the I-5 near Bakersfield and Fresno. I think that makes a difference.

As far as the rest of the spices and ingredients, I've tasted a huge variety of Mexican food here in the L.A. basin and some good food in Houston and Dallas. Quality-wise, I don't think Tex-Mex could be much better than what I've already tried here in Cali.

Oh, by the way, Ensenada style fish tacos and burritos are excellent when made well.......Taco Nazo in South El Monte rules!

Old 11-10-2007, 04:33 PM

65 posts, read 245,874 times
The only thing I miss about Texas is the chicken friend steak, and biskits and, whats that stuff??? Gravy? Right gravy.....I miss that stuff.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:32 PM

5 posts, read 21,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
It is different. Tex-Mex is tastier then Cal-Mex. Of Course New Mexican trumps all and there is nothing close to New Mexican in Cali.
And I say thats a good thing! I have been served food in New Mexico that was too caliente to eat. (However, those sopaipillas in Albuquerque were magnificent)

There are a few wonderful Mexican restaurants in LA/Orange County area. There are MANY poor ones. Same for Texas. We had a really awful meal in Amarillo one afternoon. The waitress was smoking a cigarette as she plunked our plates in front of us. Now, the food in San Antonio was a treat!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:50 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
Carne Guisada is chunks of beef stewed in a rather thick gravy. Carne Asada is almost the same thing but the gravy is thinner or more watery. Both very good.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:13 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
NO...lol...carne asada is not like fajitas!! I can get fajitas anywhere....
Carne Asada literally translates to "roasted meat." I've eaten Mexican food all my life, and everywhere I've been, Carne Asada is grilled meat - either sliced, or served as a steak.

Carne Asada

Carne Asada

Carne Asada (http://www.tacosalad.com/recipes/recipe.asp?recipeid=18 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles