U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 PM

25,302 posts, read 19,730,685 times

Advertisements

Yes it's kind of like New York where you have a lot of poverty amonst rich people in Lofts...although DTLA prices are nowhere near Manhattan prices yet.

I think living in DTLA could be very exciting with the changes happening. There are a lot of possibly negative aspects too; such as homeless,etc and i'm not sure exactly what the city is doing if anything to change this.

But new places opening all the time, lot's of subways/transit, streetcar coming, lot's of development money and city focuses nearly all their resources on downtown says there is tremendous upside potential. Especially if you work near the area it seems like a good idea to live there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 12,575,472 times
New York has a VERY different feel when it's poor amongst the rich. To me it feels nothing like of the way it does in downtown LA.

However I was glad to see just how much new stuff had opened in downtown since I was there in the summer. I just wouldn't want to live or work there.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 PM

True and from what I realized on trips to NYC and from what I have read...NYC has fought pretty hard to reduce the homeless in Manhattan . They haven't been eliminated of course.

I agree NYC can't really be compared to DTLA.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:46 AM

5,838 posts, read 14,569,339 times
That pic that GG posted looks like Beloit and Massachusetts avenues in West LA.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:45 AM

15,408 posts, read 5,785,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
DTLA has a prevalent working class identity, with most of the stores and restaurants catering to low-income folk, and the majority of its population and pedestrians being working class. Foot traffic can occasionally be busy around a couple streets and blocks, but truthfully DTLA is not vibrant outside of that small area.

While there is a great desire for DTLA to become the center of LA's urban heartbeat, it has a long way to go. You certainly won't find the amount of well-to-do people channeling down the city streets that you'll find in Santa Monica, Westwood, Pasadena, etc. Visit DTLA in 10 years and I'll say that it might rival those other urban centers, but not as of today.

And no, DTLA will NEVER stand up to Manhattan. It still trails far behind other urban centers like SF, Chicago, Philly, etc...
Can't even match Pasadena yet? I can understand not matching the coastal/near the coast areas. Then it must also trail Seattle, Portland, Denver, and Minneapolis, too. I'll check it out in ten years. I am sure you are correct. I have heard it has made progress.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 PM

10,086 posts, read 14,976,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Can't even match Pasadena yet? I can understand not matching the coastal/near the coast areas. Then it must also trail Seattle, Portland, Denver, and Minneapolis, too. I'll check it out in ten years. I am sure you are correct. I have heard it has made progress.
I'd take everything that poster says with a grain of salt. Very prone to hyperbole.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:52 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 12,575,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Well, it is behind those four cities you mentioned. Nobody is going to argue that.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM

10,086 posts, read 14,976,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Well, it is behind those four cities you mentioned. Nobody is going to argue that.
Minneapolis? Denver?

Yeah it is not as "squeaky clean" as those cities' but it certainly can compete with them (and in my opinion blows them away in size / scope). Portland and Seattle are much closer and probably about in the same league (for now). I've said this before but the foot traffic in DTLA is only a step below what I experienced in Boston.

So I guess it depends on what you are arguing about.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:21 PM

Yeah but a lot of the foot traffic is regular working class Latinos so they probably get ignored because they aren't yuppies or hipsters .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles