U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 01:10 AM

75 posts, read 139,553 times

Advertisements

I have a weird question. I have been looking to buy a used desk with a chair and a dining table on Craig's List. It seems to me like 80 to 90% of the people in LA posting on Craig's List have ridiculous prices and in many of the cases the price for the same items brand new are less than what they are asking for it on Craig's List used. I have never seen this in other cities so I was wondering why this seems to be common for Craig's List in LA?

For example, people with used ikea furniture trying to resale it at the same price it is listed on ikea's website. I realize this is a free country so anybody can sell their stuff for whatever price they want and I definitely accept that but I was wondering are there places where one can buy a used table and desk for a reasonable price without having to go through countless repeated adds of overpriced stuff. Does LA have any flea markets where furniture is sold? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 02:30 PM

6,663 posts, read 27,566,051 times
I think many may price high so they can negotiate down. Hard to ever raise the price.
I will not answer emails that ask "what is your lowest price?" I have listed my price, anyone is welcome to offer less. The worse is that I say no.

Many buyers seem to think that everything is available for 5 cents on the dollar right now.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:09 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,869,593 times
Craigslist for sale section is a cesspool

Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 PM

25,305 posts, read 17,119,296 times
Yeah I would just offer what you are willing to pay.

If they want to sell it maybe they will accept the offer.

There are flea markets in L.A ...but I don't know if the prices are really going to be lower than craigslist..

You could also try garage sales as there are always many in L.A each weekend...but of course if you are looking for a particular piece it might be hard .

There are garage sales listed on craigslist los angeles garage & moving sales classifieds - craigslist and they usually state what kinds of stuff they have. So if you see one mentioning furniture maybe it's worth checking out...or maybe the person hosting it would be willing to sell to you before the yard sale? I don't think many people expect to get much at a yardsale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles