Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,215,297 times

Advertisements

i live in the valley so i don't think it's a bad place. however, the commute to the westside can be difficult to say the least. especially when you're in grad school and will have a significant amount of studying to do, spending hours in the car commuting would not be ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 12:35 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,017,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyLady13 View Post
this link is craig's list for sfv and allow dogs.
It's not uncommon for apartments to allow dogs. They usually have a weight limit below that of the OP's dog. Couple that with the OP's limited housing budget and it's going to be extremely hard to find a place that will take a 60lb. dog. The running joke around here is new members asking where they can cheap housing by the beach, in a safe neighborhood, that will take them plus their two great danes.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:16 AM

5 posts, read 15,440 times
I'm also interested in knowing the opposition to the valley. Granted, I don't know much about any of these areas so I'm flying blind.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:40 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,391,639 times
Nearly all of Westwood apartments north of Wilshire Blvd are occupied by UCLA students or staff. Also a large part of south of Wilshire up until Santa Monica Blvd. It tends to get mixed family/professionals around Santa Monica Blvd south and towards Century City. Another major group where students live is Palms which is cheaper than Westwood and one of the cheapest in the westwide. Other areas are West LA, south Brentwood which are just west of the 405, Also west of the 405 freeway is Mar Vista. Some students used to live in east Santa Monica but prices went up really high the past decade. The rest commute from their parents house or live in the Valley, Ventura, South Bay, Eastside, etc. Apartment hunting is really difficult especially in Westwood. Every summer students search for apartments looking for the cheapest rent or best apartments or whatever reason. There are few vacancies in Westwood by the end of summer. Most students especially undergrads live 4 people in a 2 bedroom. Parking is impossible since you are given 1-2 spots for 3-4 people who have cars. The rest circle for blocks and sometimes park a mile away just to park. Some students walk 20-30 minutes up and down hills each way from Westwood to get to their class North or South Campus. It is typical if you live west of the dorms. on the west side of campus. People south or UCLA have the choice to walk , bus or use the UCLA shuttle.

For your situation, you should look away from Westwood. I dont know many places that takes dogs, or students who would want to share an apartment with pets or maybe things have changed, but not when I was there about 10 years ago. Check padmapper.com to see what rentals average around certain areas. Also check craigslists to see what places pop up for pet friendly. By the way, if your class schedule is flexible and outside of rush hour commute, you can live farther away like Hollywood, Koreatown or Downtown. Take the bus plus any subway connections and be in Westwood in less an hour via the #2/302 bus, 20/720 bus.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:44 AM

82 posts, read 150,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajosh View Post
I'm also interested in knowing the opposition to the valley. Granted, I don't know much about any of these areas so I'm flying blind.
Why don't you use the Office of Student Housing? I'm sure they have all the resources you will need. If there's anyway you can live on campus, then, I would recommend doing so. I've heard that off campus student housing is scarce around UCLA. Anywhere in the Golden Triangle, you're looking at a roommate situation.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 AM

23,585 posts, read 24,114,904 times
The commuting to UCLA from the Valley would be time consuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajosh View Post

Old 03-30-2013, 11:05 AM

242 posts, read 500,026 times
to indianajosh, do you have any other options as to another college to go to just in case los angeles doesn't work out for you?
my nephew just graduated last spring from ohio university with his MFA. his tuition/everything was paid because he interned as an assistant art instructor while doing his 3 years there, plus he got paid a salary. he lucked out that he had gotten an apartment 1 block from the college so he could walk to school and not worry about parking, although he had street parking at his place and cars could not be parked in the same spot for longer than 24 hours at a time. anyway, i remember he was always broke and his parents were constantly sending him money to help him out.
it would be awesome if you could find an affordable place for yourself and your dog close to the school since this is where you really want to be. but i am also thinking of your dog, the commuting times will be cutting into the times you have allotted for your 'dog's time'. add the commuting times and your study times to your school day and your dog will not get the quality of life that i am sure you want for him.
i wish you all the best for you and your dog.
p.s. i am looking in the valley for myself and i posted those links for you. people are saying it's going to be a long commute from the valley to your school which is a shame because the valley prices for apt is reasonable/affordable.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:11 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,061,494 times
indiana, you didn't specify if you had a car or not. In SoCal, this is a major concern.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:23 PM

5 posts, read 15,440 times
Thanks for the wonderful responses, everyone.

@saybanana, i want to smother you in affection right now for your extremely thorough and informative response. you gave me a lot of things to consider.

@GypsyLady13, I have also been accepted into UC Santa Barbara's grad school with a full ride, plus stipend and teaching positions---although this is for a PhD and UCLA is for a Masters. I'm not entirely sure at this moment I want to commit myself to a PhD program, so I thought UCLA just seemed all around better. I'm also not entirely sure that the logistical issues (housing, finances, dog, etc) would be at all remedied by choosing Santa Barbara over LA.

@nightlysparrow, I do have a car, and a pretty reliable one at that. I also have a small, light, nimble cafe racer motorcycle that I usually use to zip around otherwise congested traffic areas, as well as a road bike for cycling.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think I'm leaning towards passing up on what would otherwise be a dream grad school offer (UCLA, full ride, $17k/year, teaching position--all for a Masters program) if I'm unable to find accommodation for me and my dog and which would provide both of us with a decent quality of life. But, we'll see. Still plenty of research to do.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 PM

34 posts, read 66,906 times
Hey man,

UCLA is a great school. Alumnus myself so I have to say that, but your best bet would be to look in the Palms area. Another concerned poster here passed me on to this thread and I'm leaving town for work in the fall and would totally sublet my apt to you (it's reasonable) and right near where you're looking for on Pelham and Santa Monica Blvd but they don't allow pets. However if you'd like I can help you in your search. Feel free to message me if your interested in taking me up on my offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles