Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 01:50 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm new here, but I'm one of those people that think the Westside is the best side. To me, it defines Los Angeles. Sure, all those things you mentioned do exist over here, but I find the overall quality of life to be much better on the Westside.

I've been exploring LA over the past month, and I can confidently say those other areas don't interest me too much. I really like the Westside.

And holy cow, 180 a month for Equinox.
I'll say, I love the westside and I think because of the weather, it's definitely one of the best areas of LA. I will say people tend to label all the Westside as the same but it aint. Palms, Culver, Marvista and the like are nothing like Brentwood, Beverly Hills, and the like. But no matter what we have plenty to do and everywhere is within 20 mins unless you're stuck living in Santa Monica or western brentwood where it can be a pain to get out or into due to traffic. Having said all that, I love Pasadena, love DTLA, love the valley and love say areas like Larchmont and Hollywood. I don't want DTLA to become like the westside. I like the diversity of what and who you meet in DTLA, there's all sorts of things going on over there. I'm doing a photo series for the artwalk there this summer so I've been spending a lot of time in DT taking pics and etc., and I love the different feel I get over there from the westside. The westside is a dope side but there's a lot of pretension I must admit, not all but a lot of the negative stereotype rightly stems from the people of the westside. Although, Silverlake and Los Feliz people are starting to rival them just in a different way...but that's another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 03:18 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,810 times
Quote:
I'm new here, but I'm one of those people that think the Westside is the best side. To me, it defines Los Angeles. Sure, all those things you mentioned do exist over here, but I find the overall quality of life to be much better on the Westside.

I've been exploring LA over the past month, and I can confidently say those other areas don't interest me too much. I really like the Westside.

Pasadena: the GENTEEL "westside." Or South OC: the more pleasant "westside."

NO native Angeleno nor native of the entire LA Metro area seems to aspire to live on the "westside." Meaning they have been there and visited long enough, as other areas in southern CA, and I've NEVER come across anybody FROM here who want to live on LA's westside, although I have met plenty who would like to LEAVE the westside for other parts of southern CA.

Sorry, but in my decades of living here (born and raised), the locals seem pulled by Pasadena area or south OC as the places that are what they are looking for in an affluent part of the LA metro area with epicurean restaurants and the superior south OC beaches and more their "quality" of people, and less traffic and parking challenges and FAR more beautiful along most of the streets and coast than the ugly things of LA's Westside mentioned in an earlier post. It's the transplants who are drawn to Santa Monica and LA's westside, not those who are born and raised here and KNOW all the areas. That's what I hear from everybody LOCAL born here and even from LA westsiders, many of whom have moved south. Newport Beach is LA's westside on south OC. Then there are the places south of Newport, as well. South OC really is Beverly Hills transplanted with South Coast Plaza with all the same Beverly Hills stores and Newport with the same Beverly Hills or westside dealerships or at least selling the same expensive cars, just like the westside.

Ironcially, it is south OC that really is the stereotype of LA, not the westside, nor has the westside EVER REALLY been the what outsiders know of LA. It has always been OC (and, perhaps, Malibu) with surfer culture, beach living, more "white" and conspicuous wealth and speaking with that quintessential "LA" stereotype southern CA nasal quality and accent and cadence, with blondes named Courtney and Jason and Shane, etc., NOT the westside. Westside is far too multi-ethnic, varied in income, too dense, too uptight, and too urban for what most think of LA., and now subway and light rail will really kill the entire myth of LA's westside.

Last edited by HarryKerryJr; 04-01-2013 at 03:37 AM..

Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
^I agree that South OC fits the "stereotype" of Hollywood/Malibu more than LA actually does. But you must be out of your mind if you think that's paradise, that all LA natives aspire to move south/want to live there. I'll take multi-ethnic, varied income, dense, urban, and "uptight" over the racist, classist, boring, isolated. I'll agree OC has better beaches and less traffic, but LA has better everything else. Literally everything else. If you want to live in a majority white conservative NIMBY area, move to South OC. If I want variety and challenges, I'll stay in the Westside.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times
Yes, now that inner Los Angeles has shipped all of its problems out to the suburbs and exurbs, it can thrive again...

But if you happen to live in Riverside, Moreno Valley, Rialto, San Bernardino, Victorville, Hemet or Lancaster, you best watch your back!

Parts of the San Fernando Valley, even west of the 405, have been "dumped on" too.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:49 PM

193 posts, read 465,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
^I agree that South OC fits the "stereotype" of Hollywood/Malibu more than LA actually does. But you must be out of your mind if you think that's paradise, that all LA natives aspire to move south/want to live there. I'll take multi-ethnic, varied income, dense, urban, and "uptight" over the racist, classist, boring, isolated. I'll agree OC has better beaches and less traffic, but LA has better everything else. Literally everything else. If you want to live in a majority white conservative NIMBY area, move to South OC. If I want variety and challenges, I'll stay in the Westside.
Agreed-- except that I prefer the south bay beaches over OC

I also agree with the person who was talking about usage of the term "ghetto"-- I really hate how that word is thrown around because a lot of the time it refers to working class immigrants who may not be educated but are hard working peaceful good people who would never hurt anyone. In my opinion the term is sometimes used with a tinge of racism and classism-- I see it a lot with my sister who lives in OC and some of the more "sheltered" UCLA students during my time at undergrad and med school now. I would use ghetto only to refer to an area that is gang infested to the point where it dominates the area (but obviously not meaning that every person there is ghetto)

I also dont understand the extreme westside love or hate. I live here and love it-- I find the stereotypes to be grossly exaggerated. However there are also great areas to live in the LA county outside the westside too (I am not directing this at the person I quoted, just at posts Ive been seeing in general)

Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
^^^My thoughts exactly after reading dude's post. And not to mention, I've met plenty of people that wanted to move to the westside, have no clue what he's talking about. I hate the OC, it's a bubble for those that like comfort and a lack of diversity. LA all day baby! Great post DisG!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 AM

26 posts, read 55,777 times
The westside feeling that I am referring to is more the consistency and quality of life that is erupting downtown that is very much there on the westside. I absolutely love downtown, and I believe its the future of Los Angeles and ironically very much ahead of the rest of the city in terms of urbanization and planning. I do however want to see certain qualities (consistent safety) come downtown. I guess thats what I meant. Didn't mean to make it sound like a gym is doing that. But basically there are missing pieces of the downtown puzzle that are coming together and amenities like these help a lot!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshualevi View Post
The westside feeling that I am referring to is more the consistency and quality of life that is erupting downtown that is very much there on the westside. I absolutely love downtown, and I believe its the future of Los Angeles and ironically very much ahead of the rest of the city in terms of urbanization and planning. I do however want to see certain qualities (consistent safety) come downtown. I guess thats what I meant. Didn't mean to make it sound like a gym is doing that. But basically there are missing pieces of the downtown puzzle that are coming together and amenities like these help a lot!
I agree. Years ago, Ralph's was a huge piece. More recently, the 7th/Fig and Target redevelopment has been a huge piece. If the rumors of a Whole Foods are true, that would blow the lid off of DTLA.

It's seemingly isolated amenities like this that gradually build up to make DTLA a fully-serviced neighborhood where one could realistically go months without ever needing to leave (assuming they work there of course).

Old 04-09-2013, 09:21 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Yes, now that inner Los Angeles has shipped all of its problems out to the suburbs and exurbs, it can thrive again...

But if you happen to live in Riverside, Moreno Valley, Rialto, San Bernardino, Victorville, Hemet or Lancaster, you best watch your back!

Parts of the San Fernando Valley, even west of the 405, have been "dumped on" too.
LA didn't ship its problems, they shipped themselves.

And looking at the crime rates of those cities explode with these new arrivals, good riddance.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:

I think the west side is a joke since it didn't allow transit. You guys are stuck with the 405 until further notice. I see the west side as the most incomplete part of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles