Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 01:36 AM

2 posts, read 9,210 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me about how the traffic is from Santa Monica to Torrance in the morning and vice-versa in the evenings? From what I've seen on other threads, it looks like traffic will be light to Torrance in the mornings but the return commute is looking closer to a 45 min jaunt?

I'm a single male in his mid-late 20s moving to SoCal from NorCal for a job in Torrance. If Santa Monica to Torrance is too unbearable a commute, what other areas would you recommend that has a more sane commute? Like many others on this board, I'm looking for a place that's got decent restaurants, nightlife, and where I'll be able to meet people (I don't know too many people in SoCal). I'm willing to spend up to 1500-1600 for my own place. I probably will be actively contributing to the local economy (read: blowing most of my paychecks) wherever I land so I wouldn't mind living in slightly expensive areas. Any suggestions are welcome !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 08:51 AM

23,506 posts, read 23,980,674 times
Distance wise, that is not a long commute. But, I recall 405 freeway, which is probably what you will be taking, was always pretty heavy in both directions, in both morning and afternoon commutes. I lived in Redondo and commuted to Marina Del Rey.

These South Bay communities are nice: Torrance, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, etc.
They would be a closer commute and the beach cities offer good nightlife.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Check out Sigalert.com Irving Traffic Map DURING your expected commute times.

By the way, Sigalert just came out with an Android app.

Sigalert.com Press Releases

Old 04-01-2013, 12:58 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,302,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYPL View Post
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me about how the traffic is from Santa Monica to Torrance in the morning and vice-versa in the evenings? From what I've seen on other threads, it looks like traffic will be light to Torrance in the mornings but the return commute is looking closer to a 45 min jaunt?

I'm a single male in his mid-late 20s moving to SoCal from NorCal for a job in Torrance. If Santa Monica to Torrance is too unbearable a commute, what other areas would you recommend that has a more sane commute? Like many others on this board, I'm looking for a place that's got decent restaurants, nightlife, and where I'll be able to meet people (I don't know too many people in SoCal). I'm willing to spend up to 1500-1600 for my own place. I probably will be actively contributing to the local economy (read: blowing most of my paychecks) wherever I land so I wouldn't mind living in slightly expensive areas. Any suggestions are welcome !
Haha. 45 minutes either way is a little crazy, if you're going during rush hour. Expect more like 60-90 minutes.

You could consider living in the Beach Cities (Hermosa or Redondo, Manhattan pricier) which has decent nightlife and a good amount of young(er) people.

Also, Marina del Rey is considerably closer to Torrance than santa monica and has an okay amount of stuff going on. But is close to santa monica/venice nightlife.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:26 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
santa monica is a great place to live, but it's not worth the commute IMHO. as was mentioned, the south bay beach cities are nearly as lively as santa monica and are considerably closer to torrance.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:17 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,489 times
According to the post below, the commute from Santa Monica isn't bad (25-35 minutes.) For $1500-1600 you'll probably only find places in south Santa Monica which should help keep the commute shorter. I agree that the OP should consider just living in the south bay but it has a completely different vibe than Santa Monica.

//www.city-data.com/forum/23999084-post11.html

Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,210 times
Thanks for the responses everyone. According to google and sigalert it looks like I'm not going to run into traffic if I live in SM and heading to Torrance. I checked the traffic this afternoon and it was close to 40 minutes to get back. It's not great but it beats my hour commute each way now and days!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM

56 posts, read 150,714 times
Before you commit to Santa Monica, seriously check out the South Bay - Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach! These are great places with lots of young professionals, fewer tourists and the commute is much shorter.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:15 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,586,608 times
I commuted from SM to El Segundo for years, and it was completely tolerable, as LA commutes go. I took surface streets, but for full disclosure, as a small business owner, I typically work 10am-7/8pm, so the commute was a bit staggered. I did, however, often go in at normal hours, and it wasn't much worse. Avoid the 405 - you can find streets to make the drive just as fast.

But as BR said - he's pretty spot on - if I had to do it over - I would have bought in El Segundo or Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles