Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:21 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
30 is old now? I figured it was the new "25"? Maybe that is just me being too optimistic since I am 28.

LA is a town where people do not want to grow old and that is not a bad thing.

Try growing up in small town Texas where if you're not married by 20 and have three kids by 25 then you're considered a selfish immature idiot who doesn't want to "grow up". But I realized that all of those people back home are just compensating for mistakes they've made in life (a lot of them started to "grow up" as soon as they found out they were knocked up). I don't mean to be mean but its true. Biology tends to determine when you mature more than culture. You get the feeling of not being able to enjoy the things you did at a younger age because you're brain lacks the high sensation stimulation it had in youth. It's not really because you've somehow hit a plateau and now suddenly feel the need to mature.

There are eighty year old men I’ve seen here with Brian Glazer style spiky hairstyles dyed blue, I kid you not. I’ve seen it. I’ve seen 40-50 year old men dress like Justin Bieber. They look silly but they’re living their life and loving it. Nothing wrong with it. It’s better than listening to the culture back home and tricking yourself into thinking that you’ve “matured” when really you just gave up on life and succumbed to the daily routine.
Amen! What I love about this city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 11:54 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
When do you become “too old” for LA?
When traffic on the 405 during rush hour(s) moves faster than you can run or wheel your wheelchair.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
I moved to LA years ago, in my early/mid 20s. Now that I’m 30, I’m starting to feel “too old” for this city. As much as I was in love with this place when I first moved here, the high cost of living, traffic, taxes, parking, wages, etc… definitely are starting to get to me. I’m not sure if it’s worth the young, fun, always sunny, beach and outdoorsy lifestyle that I loved in my 20s.

Is this a common way to feel? Has anyone else felt something similar?
it all depends on why you move to a location: for many, so Ca particularly does mean, party, beach, the good life and the life for the young...That is what they expect to find in Ca. As we become a little more mature, reality sets in and the old life gets boring. if you move to Ca to raise a family, live in the burbs, have a decent job and love nice weather it probably never gets old or not until you reach your 60s and are afraid to even drive a few blocks because of the crazy Ca drivers: No, I don't think they are any crazier than a lot of places, but when you reach a certain stage in life, crazy takes on a new meaning. of course the cost of living does play a part...I would rather be an engineer or starting a career living in states like Texas than trying to survive on a similar salary in the Los Angeles area...

Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,489 times
Hey man I am 55 and only just getting started.
LA is life itself..

Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
There are "old" and "young" parts of LA. I get the young parts like WeHo, Studio City, Hollywood, Venice, Silver Lake, Downtown, to name a few are not the best replaces to raise families. Good for partiers, artists, singles, trend followers, alternative lifestyles.

But if your goal is to raise a family and live a boring old quiet life, there are neighborhoods/adjacent cities like Woodland Hills and Tarzana. Sylmar. Burbank and Glendale. pasadena and simi valley. If wealthy, Bel Air, North Santa Monica, and Pacific Palisades.

So you're never too old for LA. I think you just get too old for certain neighborhoods. That's why there are a lot of bitter rent controlled fogies in the youthful, party parts of Weho and santa monica.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
I moved to LA years ago, in my early/mid 20s. Now that I’m 30, I’m starting to feel “too old” for this city. As much as I was in love with this place when I first moved here, the high cost of living, traffic, taxes, parking, wages, etc… definitely are starting to get to me. I’m not sure if it’s worth the young, fun, always sunny, beach and outdoorsy lifestyle that I loved in my 20s.

Is this a common way to feel? Has anyone else felt something similar?
The city is colossal, and a good chunk of it is made up of sleepy quasi-burbs. Whatever feelings you're having can still be alleviated within the city. The only time to pack up is when you have kids, because the public school system in Cali is 37th in the nation, but that's an average of a state with 1/8th of the US population, so that doesn't mean they're all that bad.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:26 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
There are "old" and "young" parts of LA. I get the young parts like WeHo, Studio City, Hollywood, Venice, Silver Lake, Downtown, to name a few are not the best replaces to raise families. Good for partiers, artists, singles, trend followers, alternative lifestyles.

But if your goal is to raise a family and live a boring old quiet life, there are neighborhoods/adjacent cities like Woodland Hills and Tarzana. Sylmar. Burbank and Glendale. pasadena and simi valley. If wealthy, Bel Air, North Santa Monica, and Pacific Palisades.

So you're never too old for LA. I think you just get too old for certain neighborhoods. That's why there are a lot of bitter rent controlled fogies in the youthful, party parts of Weho and santa monica.
Hey, as I kind of implied earlier in this thread, my mom and dad moved to Studio City when they were in their forties and raised two teenagers there, myself among them. It was a good place for us as teenagers growing into young adults, and it was also a good place for them as middle agers growing to be elderly. It simply is a pretty nice part of Southern California for any age.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
Hey, as I kind of implied earlier in this thread, my mom and dad moved to Studio City when they were in their forties and raised two teenagers there, myself among them. It was a good place for us as teenagers growing into young adults, and it was also a good place for them as middle agers growing to be elderly. It simply is a pretty nice part of Southern California for any age.
Fair enough, maybe i shouldn't have included Studio City in that list. I have family that grew up in Studio City back in the 50s thru the 80s when it was Leave it to beaver land. But I think Studio City has changed. It's less family oriented than it used to be, and definitely less than the west SFV.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:08 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,930 times
That's one of great things about LA. People never feel like they are old for this city. I see women in thier 50's, still wearing tight dresses, and men at a similar age wearing skinny jeans. You can never "grow up" in LA.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
So I guess the general consensus is ... One might not ever be "too old" for L.A ...but one can become "too poor"

It seems like all the older people at least the ones living a decent life in L.A bought in great areas when prices were much much more affordable.

If these people never bought a home the studio city or other decent areas would they still be "Lovin the L.A life?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles