Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:45 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,313,757 times

Advertisements

USC students have a lot more options now than a few years back. So many more options of places to eat, and with the Expo line it really opens up a lot of the city to those without a car.

I graduated from there back in 2003 and it's amazing to see the changes in the last 10 years .

I don't know if the current crop of students realize how good they have it compared to how it was.

Also students that will be at USC when the Village at USC is completed are really going to be spoiled..

Unless drastic changes happen in WestWood Village it looks like the USC area is going to blow Westwood Village out of the water.

Conceptual Plans · The Village at USC

Pretty exciting stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 01:06 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,344,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
USC students have a lot more options now than a few years back. So many more options of places to eat, and with the Expo line it really opens up a lot of the city to those without a car.

I graduated from there back in 2003 and it's amazing to see the changes in the last 10 years .

I don't know if the current crop of students realize how good they have it compared to how it was.

Also students that will be at USC when the Village at USC is completed are really going to be spoiled..

Unless drastic changes happen in WestWood Village it looks like the USC area is going to blow Westwood Village out of the water.

Conceptual Plans · The Village at USC

Pretty exciting stuff
Those plans look interesting. But USC still has a long way to go. There is a certain stigma attached to the area there. I don't know if it can top Westwood Village.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:17 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,777,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Those plans look interesting. But USC still has a long way to go. There is a certain stigma attached to the area there. I don't know if it can top Westwood Village.
Westwood Village is a joke compared to what it used to be.

I think in 10 years USC will be considered in prime-located university in Los Angeles and not UCLA. I was reading an article about LACMA and how for decades it was considered to be in a terrible location, far from freeways while the Getty was perfectly situated along the 405. But now, because LACMA is right next to the future Fairfax station, its future looks very bright while Getty is trying to figure out how to cope with its freeway-reliance (especially with 405 closing a lot recently). Same thing with USC vs UCLA - USC is in a considerably more fortuitous location vs. UCLA being tucked away in a corner of the Basin.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:22 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Westwood Village is a joke compared to what it used to be.

I think in 10 years USC will be considered in prime-located university in Los Angeles and not UCLA. I was reading an article about LACMA and how for decades it was considered to be in a terrible location, far from freeways while the Getty was perfectly situated along the 405. But now, because LACMA is right next to the future Fairfax station, its future looks very bright while Getty is trying to figure out how to cope with its freeway-reliance (especially with 405 closing a lot recently). Same thing with USC vs UCLA - USC is in a considerably more fortuitous location vs. UCLA being tucked away in a corner of the Basin.
Really? I had never heard any of that. What was Westwood Village like before? And I had always thought the location of UCLA was preferred due to it being so close to the beach and near other communities.

But USC is right next to downtown. However what about USC being next to the ghetto? So many people worry about that when talking about USC.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 PM

5 posts, read 7,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamyashu View Post
I am considering an offer to go to USC for grad school, but I hate driving (lived in nyc for many years) and my stipend is pretty low (20k a year) so I don't know if I could even afford a car. Is it possible to get by without a car out there / take public transportation, or is that crazy? also, is 20k way too little to live on in LA?
I have never met anyone who enjoyed their time in LA without having access to a car. All these people moved back home or transferred schools after a year. This is especially likely to be true if you want to have access to the same range of services you're accustomed to in NYC. (My one caveat is that many people who "hate driving" just haven't done too much of it. There's a difference between driving in midtown Manhattan and driving on the 105 freeway. As for money, leasing is expensive, and buying a decade-old car isn't ideal, but I'm not convinced you end up significantly worse off than paying for subway-and-occasional-taxis-trains-and-airfare in an East Coast city.)

Old 04-08-2013, 01:58 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,313,757 times
Yes there definitely is a stigma attached with the area around the USC campus , but it's definitely changing quite a bit.
There have been some terrible incidents , but it's not the worst area in L.A

A ton of money is going to be spent on this project. The largest project even in the history of South L.a

Also the city is really really pushing for development/improvement in the downtown area.

Westwood Village once used to be more happening and lively.

I could see people travelling quite a distance to hang out at this Village @ USC if it turns out to be the way they are promoting it.

It's a massive project...not a little bit of remodelling. There is no doubt it will change the entire area forever.

As it is now despite the bad reputation of the USC area property in that area isn't really cheap.

Apartment buildings about what they go for on the Westside..which is pretty crazy.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:36 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,972,436 times
Consider buying a bike to get around. Or even a moped. Cars are a hassle and expensive

Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes there definitely is a stigma attached with the area around the USC campus , but it's definitely changing quite a bit.
There have been some terrible incidents , but it's not the worst area in L.A

A ton of money is going to be spent on this project. The largest project even in the history of South L.a

Also the city is really really pushing for development/improvement in the downtown area.

Westwood Village once used to be more happening and lively.

I could see people travelling quite a distance to hang out at this Village @ USC if it turns out to be the way they are promoting it.

It's a massive project...not a little bit of remodelling. There is no doubt it will change the entire area forever.

As it is now despite the bad reputation of the USC area property in that area isn't really cheap.

Apartment buildings about what they go for on the Westside..which is pretty crazy.
If this development really pushes for a complete overhaul of the area surrounding USC, then that will be interesting. But still, even if the surrounding area around campus becomes awesomeness, the areas immediately past that are horrible.

I am now curious to know how Westwood Village was better before. People graduate, so maybe the crowds were better with that class of students? I live right in the heart of Westwood and love it, and to me it seems like it couldn't be more happening.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:52 PM

611 posts, read 1,584,702 times
Just google westwood village decline. It's slowly starting to pick up again but it's still a shadow of what it used to be.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
Just google westwood village decline. It's slowly starting to pick up again but it's still a shadow of what it used to be.
Well that's very interesting. Complete news to me. Places are opening in Westwood left and right. The area seems thriving to me.

Maybe it has a hard time getting upscale shops and restaurants in the area, and places are going to Santa Monica and the like instead, but there's still so much there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles