Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 PM

242 posts, read 499,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I don't think everything is negative on this board actually.

I was born and raised in this city and I have grown to be a bit disenchanted with it.

I get the feeling a lot of natives feel the same way....but the people that moved here from somewhere else seem to be really enchanted with L.A...maybe the honeymoon isn't over?...and I hope it never is for them..

I think a lot of the frustration or disappointment and "not nice" things come from the fact that services and many neighborhoods have really declined. When rents and housing prices are so high , but services suck people generally get upset.

This is only recently being spoken about in publications like the L.A Times

This is a good article about that :

L.A.'s next mayor will face stark budget problems - Los Angeles Times

A good quote from that article:
""Every place I used to go as a kid, it's tired, it's old, it's beaten up," said Smith, a project manager at an engineering firm who made a losing run for City Council two years ago out of frustration. "Other cities manage to maintain older facilities. I'm not really certain why Los Angeles can't do a better job.""

This guy was speaking about the valley, which in my opinion in pretty neglected by the city except in certain areas.

I do agree in the idea that people should have the mentality that they can succeed anywhere...

but I think many people also question "Is the price worth it?" , "Do I want to go for a career that pays well but I don't really enjoy just so I can live decently in L.A?"

"Even if I buy a house here...the public schools are generally rated poorly..is this a good place to raise kids?"

I do hope your adventure works out for you.
thank you jm1982.
i understand a bit better now about how frustrating it must be for all the real la people to watch their city go down.
my best friend just moved back to the valley after moving around the united states. he said that this time when he returned that it was actually the first time he felt that the valley was home. he said that he tried to find greener pastures in other cities but he never did. upon returning home 2 months ago, he now says that he will never ever leave the valley again.
i guess people become so used to things that they never realize that what they have and take for granted, there are others just dying to be in their shoes.
lessons learned, i am sure.
thanks again for your clarification on this. i am smiling again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
I am glad that your friend is happy again in the valley...might I ask what area of the valley he lives in?

I would like to see the city be a great city once again, and for the city to have great leadership..I think it deserves a lot better!

Also I saw the post where you mentioned NYC rent...true NYC rent is a lot higher than from what i've seen...but of course a lot of people in NYC don't have a car too which adds a lot more to the expenses.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:21 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Ignore this guy ^^^^

Los Angeles IS a great city. It's mainly on these forums that you get this self-loathing stuff about the place. It isn't the most provincial place in the world, but most people are happy here. There are drawbacks, but with the exception of the traffic, which is exceptionally bad, they are found in other cities as well, including those that are more "beloved" in the public conscience.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 04-02-2013 at 09:53 PM..

Old 04-02-2013, 09:26 PM

my best friend lives in van nuys. he was born in la and went to high school and cal state. he recently moved back home and is living with his father until he is better, he has cancer. it went into remission a few weeks ago but he is still a bit weak from the chemo.
this is actually the main reason i am moving out to la, he and i were originally going to get a place in phoenix, where he just moved from to home. i will be getting my own place although he said if he is feeling better he would love to be roommates with me. that would be great but it's something i don't know for sure will happen. it all depends on how he's doing when i arrive in la.
he does know the city well and so he is also helping me with the good areas and the bad areas. he used to work for sherman galleries and also when he was in high school he was a courier so he knows all the surface streets. i have known him for about 20 years, i guess i am dating myself now huh/ hahahaha age is nothing but a number.
thanks for all your help.
going to dc tomorrow for the day, the cherry blossom festival is going on now. it's going to look like a pink wonderland.
yes, rents in nyc are outrageous so compared with la, it makes la rents look affordable, at least the rates in the valley... for me.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 PM

i do have a car and it's paid off so i do not have to worry about a car payment. paid off all my credit cards too and only have one credit card now for emergencies. have full coverage on my car but i am going to just get the cheapest legal coverage. i will be getting my student loan bills but i can get a furlough on that for now. other than that i really have no bills. i live a simple somewhat carefree life these days. things i like to do don't cost me much money either. i love walking, biking, hiking, and any outdoor activity, nature. i love libraries and museums, picnics and meditation. these things are all free, wow, how wonderful!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Sorry to hear about his health condition and hope him a serious recovery.

Van Nuys is not too bad in parts...I like the Lake Balboa area which is kind of part of van nuys..but considered it's own community now.

Oh and you shouldn't ignore me...you should ignore RaymondChandlerLives ... last time I checked Pasadena wasn't in the city of L.A!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Sorry to hear about his health condition and hope him a serious recovery.

Van Nuys is not too bad in parts...I like the Lake Balboa area which is kind of part of van nuys..but considered it's own community now.

Oh and you shouldn't ignore me...you should ignore RaymondChandlerLives ... last time I checked Pasadena wasn't in the city of L.A!
hahaha.
yes, he admits that where his father lives is not the best of areas to other people... but they like it there still he says that his neighbors are nice people and they are mexican working class that work hard and take great care of their homes.
my friends and i are not prejudice, we respect all people as long as they respect themselves and others too.
he told me that when his parents bought the house over 30 years ago that it was a great area but slowly it has gone downhill. he said that a couple of blocks north of his family home is panama city and it's bad.
his brother lives in lake balboa and has a 2/2 and loves it there. i have also been looking in that area as well. also looking in the encino area close to ventura blvd too.
he told me that the south side of van nuys is good, around van nuys blvd and burbank and further south into sherman oaks.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:12 PM

here is a link to facebook. this is the old san fernando valley pictures.
https://www.facebook.com/valleyrelics

Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 PM

4 posts, read 3,436 times
ive been visiting los angeles (california) for over 20 years, sometmes for a couple of weeks, sometimes for 3 months at a time, i walk around for miles wether im in downtowm LA. or the valley late in the evening on my own, i have never had any problems, im also planning to move to LA,and settle there. i live in the uk and crime is getting worse here. i find american people more friendly. yes you are gona see crime where ever you go and live, but alot of people are posting threads on here making LA a no go city. see you in LA..........

Old 04-03-2013, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 11,042 times
Default La

Great place. Thought I'd say something nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles