Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I don't think there is one.

Where is Chicago's Times Square? Berlin's? Tokyo's? London's? Mexico City's?

Not all cities have that type of focal point.
I don't know about Chicago, Berlin, or Mexico City. But I think Tokyo's equivalent is the Shibuya Crossing and London's equivalent is most likely Piccadily Circus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 08:07 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm always in town. A few times a year. I will be there in the summer.
Irony ---> We will be spending the summer in LA!!!

Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Irony ---> We will be spending the summer in LA!!!
Enjoy yourself.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Of course it doesn't compare. Times Square is an experience not just a tourist attraction. It's a ride just getting off the escalator.

Highland and Hollywood gives you that a miniscule level. LA Live though is cool at night is quite a sight.

Dude, NYC is bad ass. I agree. But we're comparing two types of epic. One is Gotham City, just majestic and strong looking. LA is a neon jungle, it looks like a city out of a Manga; Neo-Tokyo, Blade Runner.
Being the Anime lover that I am, I truly would love to check out Los Angeles one day! I also love LA's romantic and majestic looking Noir-esque aesthetic that influences its Downtown, Historic Core, Santa Monica, Fashion District, Chinatown, Little Tokyo/Civic Center, etc. What are some of the areas and nabes in L.A. that unleashes its Neon character at night? I'm 20 btw, so I know Akira and Blade Runner are 80's movies. But, how are they? I heard that Blade Runner was a brilliant masterpiece and Akira was so iconic its considered a cult classic! Being that I'm part of the generation that treats Mass Effect, Halo, Ghost in the Shell, and Gundam almost religiously, I have a feeling that I might like those two films.

And yeah, New York City is truly one phenomenal city! Does it get overly-hyped up? Perhaps. But it just got such an amazing magic to it that it took me several weeks to shake off after visiting it for the second time last early October! LOL Manhattan was spectacular as always, we stayed in Lower Manhattan this time around and I loved its vibe. The only time we was in Times Square that day was when our cab was coming in from the Manhattan Bridge from JFK to drop us off at our hotel in Battery Park City. I really loved Brooklyn too! Would love to check it out more.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah there are lots of residences on the Hollywood Blvd back-streets, which explains the foot traffic there in addition to the tourists. But it's really nothing like Times Square.

There is no equal.
Oh ok. Is Hollywood Blvd as noisy as Times Square? That could also be another good indicator of why locals in LA would live near a major tourist area in comparison to the locals in the NYC living anywhere near the Times Square-Theater District. Plus, it seems like TSQ has more heavier and cramped foot traffic than Hollywood Blvd-Highland Ave.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,219 times
The City WAS shaped for transit over 100 years ago. Then the freeways replaced the transit system. Now we're trying to reverse it all. I bought a home by planned light rail almost 20 years ago. Now the line is active, my home values are back up, I can go drinking in Hollywood 'til 1am and get home without driving. Me happy Angeleno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Always figured sprawl was L.A.'s big joke. the whole reason for heavy traffic and smog. Taking transit in many parts of L.A. can be a pain, but so is a car. The lucky ones live near the transit hubs, the **** out of luck folks leave away from it. Rapid is good but when it's late, the rapid buses no longer run and the late buses lag it.
I still say **** it and use transit when I can unless a car is more necessary. L.A. is my home and I love it, but damn, I wanna sucker punch the people that shaped the city the past 100 years.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:03 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Oh ok. Is Hollywood Blvd as noisy as Times Square? That could also be another good indicator of why locals in LA would live near a major tourist area in comparison to the locals in the NYC living anywhere near the Times Square-Theater District. Plus, it seems like TSQ has more heavier and cramped foot traffic than Hollywood Blvd-Highland Ave.
No way. Though I've heard that depending where you live near Hollywood Blvd that you can hear noises going all night. But it's really nothing like Times Square, it's also pretty gritty.

Times Square is just something else. You would really have to have visited both in order to get a real comparison. But Hollywood Blvd really can't appeal to the masses like Times Square does.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 PM

I don't know, but Chicken Boy is OUR Statue of Liberty. And he's a helluva lot scarier than Miss Liberty...

Chicken Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegarlic View Post
So I am curious if there is an equivalent to Times Square in LA? Maybe Hollywood? I don't know and I want to.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
No way. Though I've heard that depending where you live near Hollywood Blvd that you can hear noises going all night. But it's really nothing like Times Square, it's also pretty gritty.

Times Square is just something else. You would really have to have visited both in order to get a real comparison. But Hollywood Blvd really can't appeal to the masses like Times Square does.
Yeah, people have been saying that Hollywood Blvd is kinda on the grimy side and even a little dirty. I first visited Times Square back in '03 for my 11th birthday. I remember it being fairly clean with some of the usual trash bags piled near the sidewalks. TSQ back in the '70s well into the early '90s looked pretty gritty as well, but nowadays it looks really polished for lack of a better word.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 PM

No, we don't have anything like that. Odd comparison. Does NYC have the same buzz of activity that Istanbul has when the Spice Market is bustling, and the Galata Bridge is packed with people cramming the trains and underground walkways trying to get a bite to eat, or find a bargain? Not bloody likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles