Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 03:04 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
No, they aren't the same ... But a lot of people have been moving there, their population has increased and it is a no doubt a popular place to live. I haven't heard many people complain about it versus L.A.

If you are just using population ....then Austin is more populated than San Francisco

So I guess you could say that Austin is more popular than San Francisco?..

..And Detroit is more popular than Boston , Seattle or Washington D.C

Top 50 Cities in the U.S. by Population and Rank | Infoplease.com

Also note that Austin saw a 41% increase from 1990-2000...for L.A the increase was 6%..

I guess you could say Austin is getting more popular than L.A
Anyone who says that LA is more popular than Austin or Houston, another booming Texas town with a pop. increase, is deluding themselves. There are far more CA licence plates in TX than TX ones in Cali.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Thank you.

There's a lot more to the entertainment industry than wannabe actors, writers, and directors trying to make it. The rest of us forgotten behind-the-scene folk have pretty normal lives, can carry conversations past our favorite Game of Thrones television moment, don't gawk at celebrities and big name events like the Oscars, and are basically just normal people. Imagine that. The vocal minority paints a loud picture.
I think you guys are being way too harsh and I am sure that the people in here were intending to mean if the industry were to be replaced by another anchor industry. Yes, there are people behind the scenes.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:21 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
No, they aren't the same ... But a lot of people have been moving there, their population has increased and it is a no doubt a popular place to live. I haven't heard many people complain about it versus L.A.

If you are just using population ....then Austin is more populated than San Francisco

So I guess you could say that Austin is more popular than San Francisco?..

..And Detroit is more popular than Boston , Seattle or Washington D.C

Top 50 Cities in the U.S. by Population and Rank | Infoplease.com

Also note that Austin saw a 41% increase from 1990-2000...for L.A the increase was 6%..

I guess you could say Austin is getting more popular than L.A
You might want to recheck that:

The Bay Area = 7.6 million
Metro Austin = 1.8 million

The San Francisco CSA is more populous than any metro region in Texas, and obviously more expensive.

Growth by percentage means nothing. If a household of three people adds another person, it just grew by 50%. You have to look at the total numbers.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:10 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Anyone who says that LA is more popular than Austin or Houston, another booming Texas town with a pop. increase, is deluding themselves. There are far more CA licence plates in TX than TX ones in Cali.
Please, it's nothing more than a fad. Houston is nothing more than a wannabe LA that still has a long way to go. No way Houston is more popular.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:42 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Percentage growth (2010-2012):

Houston 4.2%
Los Angeles 2.0%

Houston looking good. Now look at total population growth:

(2010-2012)
Los Angeles +361,991
Houston +257,105

And that folks, is why percentages don't tell the whole story.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 7,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Beyond the fact that what you said is purely anecdotal, I find it baffling that you think a greater volume of vehicle registration in California proves Texas is "more popular."

Old 04-07-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Please, it's nothing more than a fad. Houston is nothing more than a wannabe LA that still has a long way to go. No way Houston is more popular.
Of course it's a fad. It's economic growth is limited and spurred on by a few industries. The cost of living is low but while wages are rising poverty is growing. How is this happening? A huge portion of the job growth is low wage service work. Houston is neglecting social services, city services, etc. and in roads into the higher paid sectors. Soon they'll be faced with economic geographical unevenness.

It's not what it's cut out to be like Forbes is saying. It's another bubble.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador1 View Post
Beyond the fact that what you said is purely anecdotal, I find it baffling that you think a greater volume of vehicle registration in California proves Texas is "more popular."
I just meant that a lot of Californians and other out of Staters are buying the hype behind the Texas fad and moving to Austin, Dallas and Houston.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Percentage growth (2010-2012):

Houston 4.2%
Los Angeles 2.0%

Houston looking good. Now look at total population growth:

(2010-2012)
Los Angeles +361,991
Houston +257,105

And that folks, is why percentages don't tell the whole story.
Shouldn't something be said to the fact that you would kind of expect LA to have numbers like that but that Houston is clearly the winner with that kind of explosive growth? I am of the opinion that the Houston thing is a fad but that doesn't negate that it is a pretty popular destination now.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I don't see people moving to Texas cities as a fad. Cost of living of course is another big factor ( no state income tax, much lower housing costs, lower gas,etc) Their unemployment rate is much lower. There are other factors too traffic , etc .
Median home price $229 in CA versus $84 in Texas...that's not a little difference..that's a HUGE difference. 274% more expensive.

I'm not saying Texas is better than California or Austin or Houston are better than L.A but..

The fact is that more people are moving out of California every year than are coming in . For all the talk of the rich leaving it's the middle class and poor that are leaving for the most part.

Jobs Aren't Leaving California For Texas, But People Are - Forbes

"Since 2005, far more Californians have turned Texan than the other way around: 183 Californians moved to Texas for every 100 Texans moving to California."

"Will more Californians leave as the economy recovers? Probably, yes. The most important factor slowing the out-migration of Californians in 2008 to 2011 was that home prices fell more in California than in the U.S. overall, making California more affordable relative to the rest of the country than during the housing bubble. However, the housing recovery is now lifting home prices in California."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles