Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 04:16 PM

517 posts, read 1,704,276 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are coming up to Cali in the next few days on more of a fact finding mission than fun tour. But we will spend a day checking out central L.A. obviously. We are both heavily into movies, rock music and also we like the coast. Want to drive around and get the "vibe" rather than spend the day in Universal.

I'm a little wary of the traffic we're going to encounter on this visit haha, so any advice on avoiding that would also be great.

So any ideas on what we should do? If we check out the coast where should we head to? Is there one street with a lot of music history, and an area with a lot of movie related stores and spots?

We'll probably be staying in Palmdale & heading in from that direction, which I'm hoping isn't too bad a location to drive down into Hollywood etc? I don't know how long that drive will be depending on the horror traffic I keep hearing about

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 04:26 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Hollywood Walk of Fame, Universal Citywalk, the gift shop at Universal Studios.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:35 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,848 times
Movies - Warner Bros. Deluxe Studio Tour
Music - Sunset Strip
The Coast - Pacific Coast Highway

Old 04-09-2013, 07:11 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
The Griffith Park Observatory has been used in movies and TV shows a great deal. There is even a bust of James Dean up there as it was used in "Rebel Without a Cause". Actually, the park is a popular filming location.

Official Site: Griffith Observatory Los Angeles, CA

Not knowing what kind of films you're into, it's hard to recommend places. Go downtown. The Westin Bonaventure hotel was used in a lot of films, including the original "Total Recall". The interior of the Bradbury Building is popular. You might want to try googling the movies you like + filming locations (movie title+filming locations). I've done that and found some interesting info

For music, the Sunset Strip - the Whiskey and Viper Room especially. Also the Troubadour which is on Santa Monica Blvd in West Hollywood, south of the Sunset Strip.

Welcome to the World Famous Whisky A Go Go

The Viper Room

Troubadour

Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 PM

Thanks guys

Old 04-09-2013, 09:41 PM

I once visited Paramount Studios in Hollywood, for a work related assignment. If you know someone there, you should ask for a tour, it is very nice. Unfortunately, it is not open to the public.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I once visited Paramount Studios in Hollywood, for a work related assignment. If you know someone there, you should ask for a tour, it is very nice. Unfortunately, it is not open to the public.
Nahhh, if they knew someone there, that person probably wouldve told them a better place to stay, which leads to my question...why in the heck are you staying way up in Palmdale for a trip to the coast and possibly Hollywood? Thats an incredible hike.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Nahhh, if they knew someone there, that person probably wouldve told them a better place to stay, which leads to my question...why in the heck are you staying way up in Palmdale for a trip to the coast and possibly Hollywood? Thats an incredible hike.
We're visiting to check out the Palmdale area first and foremost. But while we're in the general area we'll drive down to central LA to have a look.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:56 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
That's funny, we took the tour last summer. Not as good as Warner Bros. but interesting.

Paramount Pictures Studio Tour - Hollywood - Movie Studio Tours

Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the update. I visited several years ago, for work related meetings and the Paramount employee mentioned that we were getting a special, non-public tour of the place. I thought it was pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
That's funny, we took the tour last summer. Not as good as Warner Bros. but interesting.

Paramount Pictures Studio Tour - Hollywood - Movie Studio Tours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles