Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 03:44 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

To be fair a lot of New Yorkers don't have good transit access either. Staten Island has only one train, and big parts of Queens and Brooklyn are inaccessible by train. Manhattan is very accessible by train, but that is the smallest borough of NYC. Getting around NY by car can be a lot quicker than by train. To go from where I live in the North Bronx, to Queens by subway is 1 and 1/2 hours. By car its only 25 minutes. As a result New Yorkers with at least teacher level money typically have cars and drive.

So the lifestyles in New York and LA aren't as different as people make them, at times, and I have lived in both places. Commuting by public transportion in LA can be rough. With that said, the buses and trains have lots of people on them. Its doable. Not fashionable, but doable.

Its easiest if you're going from say Hollywood or North Hollywood to downtown, or from Culver City to downtown. Or Pasadena to downtown, or vice versa. Now trying to take public transportation from the West Side to San Fernando Valley could take you three hours, or trying to go from San Gabriel Valley to San Fernando Valley could take you three hours. So you'd have to make sure where you live, where you work, and where you hang out on reasonable distances, preferably on the same bus and train routes.

But these things are also issues in NYC itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 03:51 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
To be fair a lot of New Yorkers don't have good transit access either. Staten Island has only one train, and big parts of Queens and Brooklyn are inaccessible by train. Manhattan is very accessible by train, but that is the smallest borough of NYC. Getting around NY by car can be a lot quicker than by train. To go from where I live in the North Bronx, to Queens by subway is 1 and 1/2 hours. By car its only 25 minutes. As a result New Yorkers with at least teacher level money typically have cars and drive.

So the lifestyles in New York and LA aren't as different as people make them, at times, and I have lived in both places. Commuting by public transportion in LA can be rough. With that said, the buses and trains have lots of people on them. Its doable. Not fashionable, but doable.

Its easiest if you're going from say Hollywood or North Hollywood to downtown, or from Culver City to downtown. Or Pasadena to downtown, or vice versa. Now trying to take public transportation from the West Side to San Fernando Valley could take you three hours, or trying to go from San Gabriel Valley to San Fernando Valley could take you three hours. So you'd have to make sure where you live, where you work, and where you hang out on reasonable distances, preferably on the same bus and train routes.

But these things are also issues in NYC itself.
That really depends. It's really based upon what kind of lifestyle someone is living in NYC. It's not as perfect as some like to say, but it's far away one of the best cities in the world to live without a car.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:42 PM

164 posts, read 347,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
To be fair, that was a tiny minority of business owners. The vast majority of Rodeo Drive businesspeople are in support of the line. But you are right, divisive politics have hindered our progress towards a world-class system.
Well, your right but still, it was shocking to see what the minority had to say. L.A. is one of the worst places to experience change. If you look at the history of the politics in L.A. within the past 3 decades or so, you can easily see how L.A. has been stifled by people in the more upper-middle class and affluent areas. The NIMYism in L.A. had gotten so bad in the 80's, that it made national headlines. One of the most embarrassing moments was when homeowners in Studio City tried to get a car-wash labeled a historic landmark to prevent development. People couldn't believe what we were going through at the time. L.A. was experiencing a major economic boom and a booming and more diverse population, but the status quo didn't want to except it, so they tried to implement "slow growth" policies that were a disaster and slowed the city's economic growth dramatically. However, it didn't prevent population growth which resulted in a urban sprawl: gridlock traffic, heavy air pollution, and less open space was a consequence. City planners seen this coming and that's why they called for a world-class system, including plenty of subways and lightrail. Unfortunately, the politicians in L.A. didnt and still don't have any backbone to stand up to the affluent NIMBYs. They run this town until this day. However, their power is diminishing slowly because as you can see, we have a new generation and we are ready to finnaly put all of the prejudice, discrimination, and the status quo behind us and finally move forward to the future, something that was suppose to happen decades ago. The "character" of their neighborhoods are no longer a valid argument to oppose transit and growth.

Last edited by rob3gd; 04-14-2013 at 04:51 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 02:18 PM

82 posts, read 111,820 times
This is what I can tell you having ridden the lines dozens and dozens of times in the last year.

They are wonderful for getting around the -immediate- Area of Hollywood, Mid-town, downtown.

Other than that, you just have to be lucky that your destination is along one of the other lines(green, blue, etc)

The red line is superbly clean and well-maintained as well as being super safe. The blue line can be trouble and you need to watch yourself(long beach line)

Overall, they have saved me hundreds in gas an parking, and I highly recommend them.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Glad I have no reason to go to Long Beach.

Imagine today if they had a line going all the way down wilshire already? I'd like to see a raised line above street level.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Glad I have no reason to go to Long Beach.

Imagine today if they had a line going all the way down wilshire already? I'd like to see a raised line above street level.
The Expo Line has a few portions that are elevated. So does the Green Line (and a the Gold Line for a short distance between Union Station and Chinatown).

Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 12,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Well, LA is supposed to global world class city up there with New York and Chicago. I expect to better than say Boston or Philly or even Baltimore.
I don't mean to bust your bubble... but LA is not that great. At least compared to a city like NYC or Chicago anyway. Not even close. LA is cool in a different way. Think of LA as the biggest suburb you have even seen.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:45 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTimeLow99 View Post
This is what I can tell you having ridden the lines dozens and dozens of times in the last year.

They are wonderful for getting around the -immediate- Area of Hollywood, Mid-town, downtown.

Other than that, you just have to be lucky that your destination is along one of the other lines(green, blue, etc)

The red line is superbly clean and well-maintained as well as being super safe. The blue line can be trouble and you need to watch yourself(long beach line)

Overall, they have saved me hundreds in gas an parking, and I highly recommend them.
I agree with you 100%!

But I guarantee that for each one of you and me, for each one of Chicano, and others who enjoy the public transportation and want to see more of it, there are 10 people who refuse to leave their cars...who insist public transit is unsafe...who adamantly refuse to try something different.

Scared of their own shadow.

Parking is such a cluster%%^% in DTLA, mid city, K-Town, and Hollywood that I can't imagine driving all over the place. But despite that, the idiots still drive. I guess it shouldn't bother me that traffic in downtown is so terrible. I really should just laugh at everyone stuck in their cars.

I wonder if they'll ever learn.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That really depends. It's really based upon what kind of lifestyle someone is living in NYC. It's not as perfect as some like to say, but it's far away one of the best cities in the world to live without a car.

Why do you keep pumping NYC , are you not happy in L.A ?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:49 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Why do you keep pumping NYC , are you not happy in L.A ?
Hahahaha. Goes both ways, eh? Well I'm presenting facts, NYC is the better place to live car-free. I'm happy in LA, but no question NYC could provide a better lifestyle for some of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles