Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 05:11 PM

9 posts, read 24,836 times

Advertisements

Leal elementary in Cerritos looks like a great school but the only issue is there is no after care or late pick up. Ill have to pick up the kids most likely and we need a school with aftercare or at least some after school option. We dont have friends in the area to ask about helping to pick them up and we can't afford a nanny. Im not sure what others do when both parents work and there are no late pick up options. I'll look into thr Fullerton area too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 03:37 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,621 times
I'm sorry, but I don't like Downey these days. Great chunks of it are ugly now with low income folks and problems while smaller numbers of the affluent still call Downey home. Further, Downey is a heck of a place for commuting. The city itself is bisected by freeways and rivers and it is VERY difficult to get around during the busy times with tons of street traffic and legions exiting the freeway because of slowing or accidents. The last time we tried to get out of Downey during the rush, it took us FOREVER. UHHHH! Also, the Mid-cites or Gateway Cities of LA County (where Downey is located) is among the most ugly, flat areas of southern cal where travesties of 1950's and 1960's architecture reign.

I agree, there are nearby cities with an easy commute to Downey that would be preferred. Cerritos was a good suggestion. Also, La Mirada or even Whittier offer better neighborhoods and schools and an easy drive commute. Heck, at odd hours, even Fullerton is an easy commute to Downey using streets. If your hours are odd, then you may have an easier commute from further away, and perhaps you ought to live closer to Hollywood for your hubbie's work. What would your hours be because the freeways open up after 8PM until about 6AM.

However, the big problem is going to be the HELL of your husband's commute from that general area of Mid-Cities/Gateway Cites area to Hollywood. If your hubby has traditional 8-5 like hours, then he could commute using Metrolink commuter rail to Union Station , and then transferring to Metro Red line subway to Hollywood. A pretty easy and fast commute.

He would use the Metrolink Orange County Line or the 91 Line to get to Union Station. Both of those lines serve stations near your work/living area with stations in Buena Park and Nowalk/Santa Fe Springs, although the latter requires permits to park at that station. His Metrolink ticket or pass also provides FREE transfer to Red Line subway all day, so no extra fare for subway.

Please refer to these sites for more info:

www-dot-mta-dot-net (Metro bus, subway, and light rail including subway to Hollywood)

www-dot-metrolinktrains-dot-com (Metrolink commuter rail serving 5 county LA area. Orange County and 91 Lines serving stations near your work/live area.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:53 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
Alhambra, Mntry Park or South Pas might be good options for a nice enough neighborhood with decent schools. the commute might still be tough, but its do-able.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:51 PM

671 posts, read 1,190,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
Alhambra, Mntry Park or South Pas might be good options for a nice enough neighborhood with decent schools. the commute might still be tough, but its do-able.
To Hollywood, not too bad of a drive the back way (although Los Feliz is an absolute nightmare at the rush) with Gold Line providing transit to Union Station to subway, but NOT to Downey.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:27 AM

367 posts, read 673,076 times
South Pasadena is your best option

Old 07-23-2013, 11:49 AM

110 posts, read 236,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't like Downey these days. Great chunks of it are ugly now with low income folks and problems while smaller numbers of the affluent still call Downey home. Further, Downey is a heck of a place for commuting. The city itself is bisected by freeways and rivers and it is VERY difficult to get around during the busy times with tons of street traffic and legions exiting the freeway because of slowing or accidents. The last time we tried to get out of Downey during the rush, it took us FOREVER. UHHHH! Also, the Mid-cites or Gateway Cities of LA County (where Downey is located) is among the most ugly, flat areas of southern cal where travesties of 1950's and 1960's architecture reign.

I agree, there are nearby cities with an easy commute to Downey that would be preferred. Cerritos was a good suggestion. Also, La Mirada or even Whittier offer better neighborhoods and schools and an easy drive commute. Heck, at odd hours, even Fullerton is an easy commute to Downey using streets. If your hours are odd, then you may have an easier commute from further away, and perhaps you ought to live closer to Hollywood for your hubbie's work. What would your hours be because the freeways open up after 8PM until about 6AM.

However, the big problem is going to be the HELL of your husband's commute from that general area of Mid-Cities/Gateway Cites area to Hollywood. If your hubby has traditional 8-5 like hours, then he could commute using Metrolink commuter rail to Union Station , and then transferring to Metro Red line subway to Hollywood. A pretty easy and fast commute.

He would use the Metrolink Orange County Line or the 91 Line to get to Union Station. Both of those lines serve stations near your work/living area with stations in Buena Park and Nowalk/Santa Fe Springs, although the latter requires permits to park at that station. His Metrolink ticket or pass also provides FREE transfer to Red Line subway all day, so no extra fare for subway.

Please refer to these sites for more info:

www-dot-mta-dot-net (Metro bus, subway, and light rail including subway to Hollywood)

www-dot-metrolinktrains-dot-com (Metrolink commuter rail serving 5 county LA area. Orange County and 91 Lines serving stations near your work/live area.
low income and problems? where?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:23 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
In the mid-seventies and throughout the eighties it was clean, quiet, & very safe, but it has certainly gone downhill since then.

My top two choices would be Cerritos (if you can afford it) and Lakewood.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 PM

110 posts, read 236,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
In the mid-seventies and throughout the eighties it was clean, quiet, & very safe, but it has certainly gone downhill since then.

maybe south downey and the apartment areas, but other than that it's just a plain old boring suburban neighborhood

Old 07-25-2013, 02:00 AM

98 posts, read 847,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post

This!! I've lived and worked in both, and highly recommend each for safe, family friendly neighborhoods. In Lakewood, keep in the 90713 area code.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 AM

273 posts, read 672,818 times
Just a quick question - based solely from seeing the Google Maps and what I have read on the forums, would Bixby Knolls be an option? It looks very nice an I have read good things BUT it also seems quite affluent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles