Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 05:46 PM

82 posts, read 111,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
You should re-read that post. Some homeless people are dangerous, something that was acknowledged by AllTimeLow99. The ones in Hollywood tend to be of the more mild variety, which is also my experience.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:51 AM

34 posts, read 198,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Sunset near Sunset Strip area in West Hollywood is pretty safe. Not sure where you live, but you'd want to take the same precautions you would in any city. There are a lot of police though it seems around that area and it's pretty upscale actually.

I used to live off Sunset near the guitar center, and grew up in L.A . The sunset strip used to be a lot more popular/rowdy back in the day.

A fun place to check out would be the Rainbow Bar & Grill on the strip..It is next to the Roxy theatre

You probably have heard of it if you've heard of the Whiskey. The rainbow bar is where a ton of famous bands would hang out Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, earlier and then Motley Crue, Guns and Roses, Poison later on.

Rainbow Bar & Grill - West Hollywood - Los Angeles, CA

There are also a bunch of taxis on the Sunset strip too if you get too drunk to walk !
Thanks a bunch. We live in a small town but are pretty good travelers, and my husband is a fairly large guy so he does not get messed with too much! Lol..we do plan on going to the Rainbow Room also. Very excited!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
To Universal Studios, I think it would be easier and faster to drive there.

From the motels listed, you would need to take the subway at Hollywood/Highland. but require taking:
1. Take #2/302 bus at Sunset Blvd to Highland Ave. Walk 2 blocks to Hollywood Blvd and catch the subway for one stop, cross the street and get the free Universal Studios tram up to the entrance.

2. Take the #4 bus on Santa Monica Blvd to Fairfax and transfer to the #217 or 780 north to Highland Ave cross the street and catch the subway from there.

Using public transit will take between 40-60 mins depending on the bus and traffic.
Using a car will be less than 20 mins or more if there is heavy traffic.

You can also drive and park the Hollywood/Highland complex where the subway is or one of the nearby cheaper lots nearby or at Hollywood/Vine subway stop. This way you can be a tourist at Hollywood (walk of fame, grauman's, etc) and avoid part of the afternoon traffic through the hills.
OMG I think driving there sounds like the best idea. We do not have a bus system in our town, so the only time we use it is when we do travel and it's still a fairly foreign object to us. thanks for all the help!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:29 PM

56 posts, read 150,719 times
Something to be aware of when you are planning your trip - cover charges. The evening can get expensive if you are planning to hit multiple clubs the same night.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,459 times
Jim Morrison used to stay at the Alta - check out the "Jim Morrison Room"

Jim Morrison Room - Worth a visit for Doors fans! - Review of Alta Cienega Motel, West Hollywood, CA - TripAdvisor

Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Also I recommend you download the Happy Hour App (if you have a smart phone)_ ...it's Go Time Happy Hour I think.

It shows you what happy hours are going on near the location you are at..you can also search by time and area too

There's also a site too
Los Angeles Happy Hours, Specials, Bars, Clubs, & Restaurants | GoTime

It's pretty handy.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 AM

Thanks for all the info. Trip was great! We had no problem walking from the Whiskey or the Comedy Club to our hotel at 1am. Our hotel was definetly more on the scuzzy side. It was a place to sleep nearby but I think in the future I would have gotten something better and just taken a cab. Having never been there though, it's always hard to plan for everything. But, it was good, Universal STudios was easy to get to and fun. Two days was not enough but that's all we had!

Old 05-30-2013, 03:00 PM

25 posts, read 52,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray chick View Post
Hi all. My hubby and I are doing a road trip in a couple of months. While in the L.A. area, we are staying one night in Santa Monica and are good with our itinerary there, but we want to spend a couple nights in L.A. We would like to stay near a couple places that we want to go check out at night such as the Whiskey A Go-Go and the Comedy Store. Then we will go to Universal Studios during one day and walk along Sunset the other day checking things out there. Anyway, we are looking at a couple cheap motels near Sunset Blvd so that we don't have to worry about parking.

Does anyone have any experice with The Holloway Motel or the Alta Cienega? This is totally in our price range as basically we just need a place to sleep that's clean. We know it's basic & cheap, we just want clean and safe.

We are thinking we could take the bus to/from the Whiskey one night and just walk the half mile from the Laugh Factory the other night. We've never been to L.A. and only have the two nights so we would rather be close to our destinations. I guess there is a subway to Universal Studios??? Or would it be easier to just drive and pay the $15 to park?

Thanks for any info.
The only danger you'll encounter is the possibility of getting runover by drunk D-list "celebrities" trying to escape the paparazzi.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:03 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray chick View Post
Thanks for the info. Having never been to the area, it's hard to plan a two-day vacation. We wanted to hit a couple of the places that have been on our list for years and we are children of the 80's so the Whiskey is an iconic place to go! But I don't want to spend my trip stuck in traffic trying to get there. My husband is a pretty big guy so we usually don't mind walking a little bit. We don't plan on getting too drunk to walk back but just want to have fun! Thanks again!!
The Whisky is the absolute worst venue in LA. Unless you have heard of the bands playing I would recommend skipping it. Just because The Doors played there 45 years ago doesn't mean you can expect anywhere near the same quality of entertainment today.

Mostly really awful pay to play bands who buy slots because they can't get booked on their own merits elsewhere.

Okay, I scrolled down and saw you already went to the Whisky. Curious who you saw and how it was. I go to club shows several times a week and make it to the Whisky maybe once a year and sometimes go years without setting foot in the place.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:19 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,844,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
The Whisky is the absolute worst venue in LA. Unless you have heard of the bands playing I would recommend skipping it. Just because The Doors played there 45 years ago doesn't mean you can expect anywhere near the same quality of entertainment today.

Mostly really awful pay to play bands who buy slots because they can't get booked on their own merits elsewhere.

Okay, I scrolled down and saw you already went to the Whisky. Curious who you saw and how it was. I go to club shows several times a week and make it to the Whisky maybe once a year and sometimes go years without setting foot in the place.
Most of the clubs on the Sunset Strip are just showcase venues for major labels. While there are some interesting and unique bands and things to see there, the music is mediocre at best. The really excellent music venues are now spread all over the city. I've seen great shows in East Hollywood, Echo Park, Hollywood and West Hollywood.

However as a tourist the Sunset Strip is probably still worthy of a look due to the historic nature of these clubs, which were once great and ground-breaking. The best venue in that area these days is by far the Troubadour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles