Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

If you'll likely be spending $1300+ on a 1 bedroom..and you'll still have a car in L.A not sure if I see how you'll be in the same or better position as making $100,000 in NYC and paying $1750 in rent..

Maybe I am missing something though?.. It seems like you could be in a lot worse situation with 65k here versus 100k there even if your rent is a little lower.

I know parking a car can be a huge expense in NYC too though and there are other costs I might not be thinking of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
The most expensive part would be the insurance, depending on your driving record.
Driving record should be close to perfect. I've gotten a couple of tickets for speeding but that's about it lol.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If you'll likely be spending $1300+ on a 1 bedroom..and you'll still have a car in L.A not sure if I see how you'll be in the same or better position as making $100,000 in NYC and paying $1750 in rent..

Maybe I am missing something though?.. It seems like you could be in a lot worse situation with 65k here versus 100k there even if your rent is a little lower.

I know parking a car can be a huge expense in NYC too though and there are other costs I might not be thinking of.
I have no car in NYC...also the taxes here are higher....everything is higher in cost...

you go to almost any decent sit down restaurant and you're going to spend at least 40 dollars on it.

go to a decent lounge/club and you'll pay 18 for a long island, 8 on a beer, etc. to give you an idea.

the worst of it all is housing. im paying 1750 for a studio thats probably 300 sq ft in a building that has no elevator, doorman, or laundry room. it blows. LA id pay 1200-1500 but it'd be a decent building, in a bigger apartment with washer and dryer in the building at least.

groceries here are also expensive as ****. a jar of organic peanut butter is like 12 dollars. lol?

edit - just got an email back from the manager at the company, he said hes gonna talk to his boss about me asking for 70k. i dont think ill make the move on anything less than 70k.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 PM

I haven't lived in NYC , but only visited. I'm guessing the high end lounge/club areas here aren't going to be too much cheaper.. but there are a lot of bars that have happy hour and stuff.

Not sure what you consider decent sit down restaurants..but they could also be $40+ too.

i know housing can be cheaper for sure though.

Good luck on your move.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:38 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
NYC has much more fine dining than LA does. It's not even a comparison. And bars/clubs in NYC are so much more expensive. LA is cheaper overall.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:46 PM

So I'm guessing NYC doesn't have many midrange places to eat , and it's mostly upscale or cheap eats like $1 pizza or cheap hot dogs? That makes NYC suck more if you are not rich and like to eat!

A lot of this probably have to do with cost of rents being higher,and spaces being smaller. Dive bars can probably exist in L.A because profit margins are higher than food and they might have a very long lease with low rent...but to build anything new rent is going to be sky high.

Every NYC bar that i've been in or seen seems pretty small compared to the average L.A .

I guess it all comes down to real estate costs.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
So I'm guessing NYC doesn't have many midrange places to eat , and it's mostly upscale or cheap eats like $1 pizza or cheap hot dogs? That makes NYC suck more if you are not rich and like to eat!

A lot of this probably have to do with cost of rents being higher,and spaces being smaller. Dive bars can probably exist in L.A because profit margins are higher than food and they might have a very long lease with low rent...but to build anything new rent is going to be sky high.

Every NYC bar that i've been in or seen seems pretty small compared to the average L.A .

Yeah, the big issue here is housing. Everything is smaller and more expensive. Renting a 1 bedroom in a building with an elevator start at around 2,500 / month.

in newer buildings, you will literally pay almost FOUR GRAND for a 1 bedroom.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:

NYC has all your typical eat-out places LA or any other city does. But I was saying that NYC has way more upscale dining choices.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 PM

Oh ok I see. I did get that sense too. I'm not too keen on the upscale places since I don't have much $ and don't like feeling ripped off...although some can provide a 'good value' i guess..

Old 04-16-2013, 10:13 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times
Single, of course. Family, probably not.

65k is good money for a single guy if you're not moving into a place that's too expensive or drive a hummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles