Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,089 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
This is my first post, and I'm sorry if this is a repetitive topic, but after doing a search of other posts, I haven't quite found the information I'm looking for. I currently work on Wilshire and South Virgil, and take the Red Metro Line from Universal City to Wilshire/Vermont and walk that last block north from Vermont to work. I've done this for over a year now, leaving work at 1pm when there are plenty of people and activity going on. However, I've just accepted a job teaching the night class in the same building, from 6-10:30 (though more realistically from 6-8 or 9 at the very latest,) for the summer. I accepted the position on the condition that I'd carpool with a friend who works further south on Wilshire, but that has now fallen through.

My question is, am I putting myself at risk, as a young woman, walking alone from S. Virgil to Vermont and taking the Red Line at that time of night? My concern is that the daylight and bustling crowds that act as a buffer for the crazy during the day will dissipate, or disappear, after dark. Am I naive to think that the longer daylight hours and increased activity of summer tourist season might make a difference?

I realize ultimately I'm the one who has to use my own judgement to make the decision, and no one can make predictions, but any input is very much appreciated. Thank you so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 PM

25 posts, read 49,255 times
You do have to make your own judgement, however, I would say it's not that safe.
Let me put it this way: I would not walk here at night.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,274,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maritimeone View Post
Hello all,
This is my first post, and I'm sorry if this is a repetitive topic, but after doing a search of other posts, I haven't quite found the information I'm looking for. I currently work on Wilshire and South Virgil, and take the Red Metro Line from Universal City to Wilshire/Vermont and walk that last block north from Vermont to work. I've done this for over a year now, leaving work at 1pm when there are plenty of people and activity going on. However, I've just accepted a job teaching the night class in the same building, from 6-10:30 (though more realistically from 6-8 or 9 at the very latest,) for the summer. I accepted the position on the condition that I'd carpool with a friend who works further south on Wilshire, but that has now fallen through.

My question is, am I putting myself at risk, as a young woman, walking alone from S. Virgil to Vermont and taking the Red Line at that time of night? My concern is that the daylight and bustling crowds that act as a buffer for the crazy during the day will dissipate, or disappear, after dark. Am I naive to think that the longer daylight hours and increased activity of summer tourist season might make a difference?

I realize ultimately I'm the one who has to use my own judgement to make the decision, and no one can make predictions, but any input is very much appreciated. Thank you so much!
Just one block from Southwestern law school? I think it should be fine - this is 9 pm we're talking about, not 3 am. Wilshire is perhaps the busiest street in Los Angeles, and the intersection of Wilshire and Vermont will still have tons going on at 9 pm. Am I going to say it's the safest trip - no - but it's only a block or two, and plenty of people will be around. Just use judgment.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,469,103 times
I'm not telling you how to dress, but I would suggest not wearing any kind of sexy clothing like miniksirts or bikinis, and pretty much just stay on the well lighted areas of Wilshire boulevard and don't venture unneccessarily on any of the side streets.
By the way, have they started construction on that condo building that's supposed to go up on the corner of Wilshire and Virgil yet?

Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 AM

671 posts, read 1,185,328 times
Uh, Virgil is MORE than one block from Vermont, and there in lies the risk. I would NOT want a woman alone to walk it. Maybe for a young healthy looking guy, but not worth the risk for you. However, if you can take the bus the 3 blocks to Vermont, that would be fine. The trick would be NOT having to wait at the bus stop alone too long.

I would find out who else at the school walks to the Red Line at that time. You may consider even walking with students who also take Red Line. If you can walk with others to the Red Line, it should not be a problem. I can tell you that south of Wilshire in that area VERY close to the Southwestern University are very serious problems, but even 6th street at that time of night is creepy.

Reach out to others at your school, and, as a teacher, don't be too big to have an agreement to walk with students to the Red Line, at least 3 is good, but at least with one other. Make Red Line walking buddies. You'll find everyone is willing to help each other out. There HAS to be a few others at your school who also take Red Line at about that time.

Also, MTA (well, Sheriff's Transit Bureau responsible for security on Metro) is finally getting serious about cleaning up the problems on Metro rail. I think the acronym is TRUST, as in operation or the TRUST program. It is a program of saturation in known problem or intimidating portions of Metro rail. They have started on the Blue line, but they will rotate this system wide with rolling saturation on all lines with no advanced warning all designed to keep the those who don't never knowing where or when the saturation will be. Soon, those people will find Metro rail too big a risk to be on if they have no legitimate business there or don't behave appropriately: JUST LIKE IT USED TO BE BEFORE THEY LET IT SLIP TO THIS LEVEL. They handed out hundreds of citations and more than a few arrests the very first day of the operation on the Blue Line. YEAH! FINALLY! So, look for a safer or less intimidating Red Line at night.

Last edited by HarryKerryJr; 04-19-2013 at 01:04 AM..

Old 04-19-2013, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
Uh, Virgil is MORE than one block from Vermont, and there in lies the risk. I would NOT want a woman alone to walk it. Maybe for a young healthy looking guy, but not worth the risk for you. However, if you can take the bus the 3 blocks to Vermont, that would be fine. The trick would be NOT having to wait at the bus stop alone too long.

I would find out who else at the school walks to the Red Line at that time. You may consider even walking with students who also take Red Line. If you can walk with others to the Red Line, it should not be a problem. I can tell you that south of Wilshire in that area VERY close to the Southwestern University are very serious problems, but even 6th street at that time of night is creepy.

Reach out to others at your school, and, as a teacher, don't be too big to have an agreement to walk with students to the Red Line, at least 3 is good, but at least with one other. Make Red Line walking buddies. You'll find everyone is willing to help each other out. There HAS to be a few others at your school who also take Red Line at about that time.

Also, MTA (well, Sheriff's Transit Bureau responsible for security on Metro) is finally getting serious about cleaning up the problems on Metro rail. I think the acronym is TRUST, as in operation or the TRUST program. It is a program of saturation in known problem or intimidating portions of Metro rail. They have started on the Blue line, but they will rotate this system wide with rolling saturation on all lines with no advanced warning all designed to keep the those who don't never knowing where or when the saturation will be. Soon, those people will find Metro rail too big a risk to be on if they have no legitimate business there or don't behave appropriately: JUST LIKE IT USED TO BE BEFORE THEY LET IT SLIP TO THIS LEVEL. They handed out hundreds of citations and more than a few arrests the very first day of the operation on the Blue Line. YEAH! FINALLY! So, look for a safer or less intimidating Red Line at night.
Way too alarmist. They are 2 short blocks apart. If OP wants a 100% chance of being safe, okay, don't walk. But this is 9 pm, not 3 am. There will be plenty of people around. And use comment sense/judgment.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 PM

671 posts, read 1,185,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Way too alarmist. They are 2 short blocks apart. If OP wants a 100% chance of being safe, okay, don't walk. But this is 9 pm, not 3 am. There will be plenty of people around. And use comment sense/judgment.

Umm, it's THREE blocks, and not for a woman alone. Even with people there, it does have problems at night.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,089 times
Thank you all for taking the time to reply, and for allowing me to make a more informed judgement. I guess I'll just be careful and feel it out as I go.

And yes, HarryKerryJr, you are right, it's more than a block, technically, but I guess I was estimating that it's roughly a major city block's worth of walking.
And Yamota, not sure about the corner of Wilshire and Virgil but there is a huge construction site just across from the station on Vermont, which I'm assuming are condos. Thanks again!

Old 04-19-2013, 11:35 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,228,554 times
Yes, the condo project is called 'The Vermont'. And what specific 'problems' is the Sheriff dealing with on the Metro? I ride it and I'm not aware of any issues warranting an operation to address.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
Umm, it's THREE blocks, and not for a woman alone. Even with people there, it does have problems at night.
Wow, big difference between two and three blocks. and at 9 pm, wilshire blvd will still be packed with cars. I never claimed it's the safest walk, but it's doable with some common sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: