Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 8,854 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here gotten LASIK done recently? If so, I'd like to hear your experience. I've been looking around and doing research and came up with a few places that I'm interested in. If someone could give me referrals that'd be great as well.

Also has anyone had experience with these doctors?

1. Dr. Paul Lee
2. Caster
3. Maloney

I know caster and Maloney charge you around $6000. And I need to think about it before I make a decision to go see them. I'm not trying to be cheap especially when I'm dealing it involves my eyes but I don't think higher prices necessary mean the best doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,985,517 times
Here's Kathy Griffin's take on Maloney:

Kathy Griffin - The Official Site of Kathy Griffin

Old 04-19-2013, 09:10 PM

17,932 posts, read 27,351,852 times
Why do you want to get Lasik, honestly? Why do you think you might be or might not be a good candidate?

Do you think the surgery will make you free of glasses? Pain? Dry eyes? Bad vision?

Are you a high myope? Do you have astigmatism? How thick are your corneas? Do you wear contacts? Are you diabetic? How old are you? Why not a nice pair of glasses?

Old 04-20-2013, 12:18 AM

5 posts, read 8,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Here's Kathy Griffin's take on Maloney:

Kathy Griffin - The Official Site of Kathy Griffin
WOW, thanks a lot for this. I think I'm crossing off Maloney off my list of options. Maloney might have excellent credentials and many celebrities might go to him, but I get this cocky and not so good vibe from him.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:15 AM

Here's a fallacy/trap that a lot of lasik customers fall into; pick an expensive lasik facility and you will be safe.

Who's to say whether or not you'll have a bad result from a great doctor or a great result from a notorious discounter?

If I was a potential "candidate" for lasik/prk/whatever elective surgery that becomes the next fad, I would first ask myself what I realistically expect from this elective surgery? What are the risks? In other words, what's going to happen to my corneas if the doctor screws up? If the pre/post/scrub/operating/microkeratome/etc tech screws up? If the laser screws up? If my eyes don't respond properly? If my eyes don't heal properly? If my eyes regress? If my corneas infect? If I have problems with dry eye, starburst, halos, ghosting,etc?

What really is "Lifetime Guarantee?" What is 20/20 or 20/15 post-lasik?

What kind of a lawyer does my doc have? Who's got deeper pockets?

Does the flap ever heal? Is there a good/best way to make a flap?

Will my vision really get better? Will there be long-term pain?

Are corneal transplants really a good deal? Why is this doctor bragging about being the first doctor to do corneal transplants?

If monovision is the laser's version of bifocals, then why not just treat one eye? Is it because the doc would lose half of their profit?

Why do so many people wear glasses post-lasik? Are you correcting for near or far? Why can't the laser do both? Oh, that's right, monovision! Right.

Don't those bifocals look sexy afterall?

How about this idea? Why not just wait until you need catarac surgery and have your vision corrected there?

Old 04-20-2013, 11:55 AM

448 posts, read 1,601,655 times
I had Lasik surgery about 8 years ago at Laser Eye Centers in Encino. I paid $2000 for their best procedure, which was called Custom Lasik. This is where the laser only focuses on the parts that need repairing rather than across the entire pupil.

Best decision of my life. I was so sick and tired of contact lenses and glasses. I still have 20/20 vision to this day and do NOT need glasses. Most of my family (5 and counting) has done Lasik as well and everyone is equally as happy.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:30 PM

Well I'm glad you had a great result as well as all of your family members.

I guess the surgery is 100% successful then. Silly me.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:15 AM

77 posts, read 173,976 times
im having my consultation tomorow to see if im a good candidate. im 46, had stigmatism in right eye since i was a kid. i couldnt pass my DMV because i couldnt see the eyechart! ( they said goto eye doc,come back so i did,costco doc gave me glasses. i went back to dmv, they didnt even retest me, they just wanted a doc to sign me off. my license was renewed) that was a few years ago. im 46 now im getting floaters in my good eye. i had hysterectomy/oofrectomy 2 years ago, since then my eyes are going FAST. it would be a blessing from above if im a candidate. im a caregiver, for 87 dad, and my 27 yr old has congestive heart faliure. i cant loose my eyes. i am a bit nervous, but the shepard eye clinic santa maria,ca is doing the surgery. they are the best. im praying this goes well.. so nervous!

Old 08-06-2013, 02:51 AM

164 posts, read 605,611 times
I had it done about 7 years ago. So far, so great. Not in LA though.

Do your online research on the various procedures for the tradeoffs: Lasik vs. PRK vs. Lasek

Some clinics only do Lasik. Others do Lasik as well as PRK.

Generally speaking, if you have astigmatism and/or a heavy prescription, PRK is the safer choice. The biggest drawback to PRK is the recovery time (with Lasik, the recovery time is 24 hours which is why it's so popular, while PRK is at least a week where you're basically not able to do much, and the first 4-6 months require a bit more care), but it generally has less risks longer-term.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,866,103 times
I had lasek. Lasek, like RPK, has less risks long term than lasik. But you will not be able to work or do much for a week, and your eyes will require care like eye drops, vitamin C and sun glasses for up to 4 to 6 months.

But its totally worth it. Do your research and find a good doctor. I paid 5k for both eyes for Lasek, done in NYC.

Sebrin, hope your consultation goes well.

I did it to get rid of my glasses and contacts forever. Besides, I like swimming, and you can't do that while you wear glasses (I used to wear contacts and goggles on top of them, but I became allergic to every contact lense solution out there). So finally I ended up having lasek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles