Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:24 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,426,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Monuments to what they ripped out so the freeways and homes could happen. The ones around here have grapes.
Yeah...the march of industry. Better some monument than utter debasement. The 10 around the 215 needs a little more consideration than what it is now, probably the ugliest stretch of freeway anywhere I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 04:24 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,928,172 times

Jerry Jeff Walker - L.A. Freeway - YouTube

Old 04-29-2013, 06:42 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,488,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Do people really feel this way or they just don't want to admit the city is poorly run.
I think these people just have low standards.

Personally, I would love to see the freeways get cleaned up. Heck, we could probably supply the world with enough oil for a year with the blown out tire scraps alone!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,636,284 times
The LA County freeway system is vast - much more so that OC or the IE so you can't really compare. And some sections are very old. Newer sections are nicer, which makes sense. I'm actually more interested in the roadbed being in good shape that what it actually looks like. Money is tight right now.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,776,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Trash is character!

Only in L.A.
Who said anything about trash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Tep - I get bored driving on I-5 between Tacoma and Seattle, but the drive between Santa Ana and Los Angeles is at least somewhat interesting.
I like em both, but the SA-LA drive has an edge to it. Scary almost.

Barb wire, graffiti, signs that haven't been replaced in my lifetime, overgrown brush, gray pavement, what's not to like?

Old 04-30-2013, 08:40 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,045,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Who said anything about trash?
The OP did. He said he didn't like the trash on the freeways. Your response was that they would be sterile without that "character" and should be left as is.

If left as is, you mean with trash. Right?

Old 04-30-2013, 10:43 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,934,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
The LA County freeway system is vast - much more so that OC or the IE so you can't really compare. And some sections are very old. Newer sections are nicer, which makes sense. I'm actually more interested in the roadbed being in good shape that what it actually looks like. Money is tight right now.
I drove to my friends house in Riverside. Wow, lol the IE does try to give you the ultimate "sh**** freeway experience". The 215 is a mess, no shoulders, narrow lanes, and randomly the right lane will disappear creating bottleneck traffic unexpectedly. And it's just got that California "style" to it. lol But if I had to choose between a messed up LA or anywhere else in SoCal freeway and some of those new Texas super freeways, I'd risk it and take the former lol

Last edited by Count David; 05-01-2013 at 05:56 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 04:24 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,855,983 times
The IE is undergoing massive freeway upgrades, especially in Riverside (this city feels like every street is under construction these days).

LA freeways compared to the IE are narrow, busy, and with more turns and angles. Driving in the IE gives me highway hypnosis- it's all flat and straight. Driving in LA is much more electrifying.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:00 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,776,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
The OP did. He said he didn't like the trash on the freeways. Your response was that they would be sterile without that "character" and should be left as is.

If left as is, you mean with trash. Right?
Meh, it could be worse.

I was referring more to the condition, the alignments, the signs, the walls, the guardrails, the trees, etc.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:42 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,462,384 times
you know why they're called highways in the east coast and freeways in california? Because in California, you're free to do anything you want! Miss your exit? No problem! Just back up the car, it's a FREE WAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles