Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:57 AM

371 posts, read 816,069 times

Advertisements

When do people that don't technically live in the city of LA, say they live in LA? I think it depends on:

1) who you are talking to, and the context
2) where outside LA you live
3) your connection to where you live

I live in OC, and was born and raised here. I would never say I was "from LA," even if I was in NYC or London. But, I have co-workers who are from the East Coast and now live in OC, and to them it is less clear that OC has a separate identity, and they might be more likely to say they are from LA, if they were out of state.

I also think there is a difference between, say, Glendale or Inglewood, on the one hand, and Mission Viejo, Ventura and Palmdale, on the other hand. Places like Glendale and Inglewood are, in my mind, basically continuous with LA and not much separates them but an arbitrary line on a map. I think that, unless you are talking to someone in LA who knows the area, there would be little reason to say you were from Inglewood, and then have to have explain that its basically in LA.

I would not really see any of OC as being part of "greater LA." There just isn't enough of a connection. Very few people actually commute up to LA for work. The vast majority of people in OC, I would guess, don't travel there for entertainment or leisure on anything resembling a regular basis. And, I just don't think people in OC have that same pull towards LA, as other suburb areas outside places like SF, NYC, Boston etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:41 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
When do people that don't technically live in the city of LA, say they live in LA? I think it depends on:

I live in OC, and was born and raised here. I would never say I was "from LA," even if I was in NYC or London. But, I have co-workers who are from the East Coast and now live in OC, and to them it is less clear that OC has a separate identity, and they might be more likely to say they are from LA, if they were out of state.

I also think there is a difference between, say, Glendale or Inglewood, on the one hand, and Mission Viejo, Ventura and Palmdale, on the other hand. Places like Glendale and Inglewood are, in my mind, basically continuous with LA and not much separates them but an arbitrary line on a map. I think that, unless you are talking to someone in LA who knows the area, there would be little reason to say you were from Inglewood, and then have to have explain that its basically in LA.

I would not really see any of OC as being part of "greater LA." There just isn't enough of a connection. Very few people actually commute up to LA for work. The vast majority of people in OC, I would guess, don't travel there for entertainment or leisure on anything resembling a regular basis. And, I just don't think people in OC have that same pull towards LA, as other suburb areas outside places like SF, NYC, Boston etc....
The "pull" toward Los Angeles is manifested in the fact that LA is home to a huge international port (Port of LA/Port of Long Beach), international banks, a major international airport, the film/TV industry and many state and federal agencies.

Orange County, whether it likes to admit it or not, has more or less always served LA as an elite southeastern suburb. Ventura County is the counterpart of Orange County on the opposite side of LA County. Much of the wealth in Orange County is derived from Los Angeles or its proximity thereto.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:08 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:

I agree, except I would say Glendale and Inglewood are somewhat different from most of LA city. Just the lifestyle you have growing up there. But if someone grows up in Glendale or Inglewood and says they're from LA to an outsider, I wouldn't jump to criticize them.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:46 PM

371 posts, read 816,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
The "pull" toward Los Angeles is manifested in the fact that LA is home to a huge international port (Port of LA/Port of Long Beach), international banks, a major international airport, the film/TV industry and many state and federal agencies.

Orange County, whether it likes to admit it or not, has more or less always served LA as an elite southeastern suburb. Ventura County is the counterpart of Orange County on the opposite side of LA County. Much of the wealth in Orange County is derived from Los Angeles or its proximity thereto.
I agree, somewhat, but also disagree.

I agree that from an economic point of view, OC is tied to LA and would not likely be as relevant and wealthy as it is as a stand alone county. But, I don't think it is accurate to say that "much" of the wealth of OC is derived from LA. I think the vast majority of wealthy people and successful companies in OC have little or no connection to LA. This is different than other prominent suburbs. For example, I'm guessing that much of the wealth in Westchester County is derived from NYC, wealth in Marin County is derived from San Francisco, wealth in Fairfax County derives from Washington DC, and the wealth in Lake County derives from Chicago. Those places are wealthy not because they have their own thriving economy, but wealthy people live there and work in the big city. Not so in OC.

Moreover, unlike other prominent suburbs, we have many of our own amenities. We have our own airport, our own restaurants, our own newspaper, our own entertainment, our own sports teams etc.... Unless you are twenty-something club junky, very few in OC are traveling to LA for a night out. I'm guessing this is in stark contrast to other prominent suburbs around the country.

But, the kicker is the relative lack of people in OC who work in LA. I read not to long ago that only something like 5% of employed people in OC work in LA. I can't be sure that was the exact number, but I do remember it was pretty low, and I remember the article saying that in actual numbers, the flow of workers going from OC to LA County was not that far from the other way around. I'm guessing that in most prominent suburbs around the country, the number is significantly, significantly higher.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:37 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,761 times
Quote:

I agree that from an economic point of view, OC is tied to LA and would not likely be as relevant and wealthy as it is as a stand alone county. But, I don't think it is accurate to say that "much" of the wealth of OC is derived from LA. I think the vast majority of wealthy people and successful companies in OC have little or no connection to LA. This is different than other prominent suburbs. For example, I'm guessing that much of the wealth in Westchester County is derived from NYC, wealth in Marin County is derived from San Francisco, wealth in Fairfax County derives from Washington DC, and the wealth in Lake County derives from Chicago. Those places are wealthy not because they have their own thriving economy, but wealthy people live there and work in the big city. Not so in OC.

Moreover, unlike other prominent suburbs, we have many of our own amenities. We have our own airport, our own restaurants, our own newspaper, our own entertainment, our own sports teams etc.... Unless you are twenty-something club junky, very few in OC are traveling to LA for a night out. I'm guessing this is in stark contrast to other prominent suburbs around the country.

But, the kicker is the relative lack of people in OC who work in LA. I read not to long ago that only something like 5% of employed people in OC work in LA. I can't be sure that was the exact number, but I do remember it was pretty low, and I remember the article saying that in actual numbers, the flow of workers going from OC to LA County was not that far from the other way around. I'm guessing that in most prominent suburbs around the country, the number is significantly, significantly higher.
Well said. The OC stands alone when compared to LA. It's not like the OC is a commuter suburb in the LA area.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,083 times
IE, OC and venture are all part of the greater los angeles area, as Los Angeles being the center city of all these areas.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 PM

82 posts, read 150,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Well said. The OC stands alone when compared to LA. It's not like the OC is a commuter suburb in the LA area.
I don't think anybody is denying that OC is its own county and I don't think the OP meant to be all technical or anything. Just as a general point of reference, LA is the centerpiece of Ventura, SB, OC, and maybe even Riverside Counties. When traveling abroad or to other parts of the US, everybody will know where LA is but they probably don't know where OC is or what it means. Most likely the easiest explanation would be south of LA. Or maybe even north of San Diego?

Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:

Well said and great points. I think the fact that Metrolink has a commuter service from the Inland Empire to Orange County speaks volumes for OC as a job center - It is the first suburb-to-suburb commuter line in the United States. The LA metro is very unique in the United States and the Orange County's status as a non-bedroom-community suburban county is a huge part of that.

It's too complicated to say that Orange County could survive on its own without Los Angeles, but I think it has the strongest claim to this out of all the US suburban counties.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:47 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
Area-wise, LA is the fifth-largest city in the USA, behind Juneau, Jacksonville, Oklahoma City & Phoenix.

That makes it pretty huge, I would say.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:53 AM

810 posts, read 1,342,214 times
If you are flying in from the east, and you go over the LA metro, it's almost an hour of just seeing lights. Amazed me the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles