Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:26 AM

83 posts, read 150,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Boyle Heights is an area in which I am looking for an apartment or condo.

Great access to downtown, an amazing history, and a vibrant street scene,

What can be wrong?

Yes - I know about Evergreen and White Fence - so what?

If you were in the vietnam war or persian gulf wars then you should feel right at home. In all fairness though I think the boyle heights area has calmed way down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,284,382 times
I always thought Leimert Park was the LA version of Harlem.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:46 AM

281 posts, read 306,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
Since the term "South Central" traces to Central Ave. and not the points on a compass, I have a hard time stretching the description too far west of the 110, much less all the way to Crenshaw. I know this is the current usage; it's just weird to me.
Thank you! I'm glad someone finally said it! The Crenshaw District is not South Central! I'm so tired of people describing points all the way to Midtown on Pico as South-Central, simply because a lot of poor black people live there! I'm assuming that crap was started by the misinformed newscasters during the riots.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:09 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,307,196 times
The riots are sooooo 20 years ago. LOL

Crazy to think that there are kids that are graduating college that are too young to remember the riots.

Makes me feel OLDDDDD

South Central or South L.A needs better PR. They need to attract the hipsters...those are the big money spenders. This might be a possibility soon as it seems South LA becoming more latino...and hipsters in L.A usually tend to take over hispanic areas versus black areas.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:16 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,417,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Crazy to think that there are kids that are graduating college that are too young to remember the riots.

Makes me feel OLDDDDD

South Central or South L.A needs better PR. They need to attract the hipsters...those are the big money spenders. This might be a possibility soon as it seems South LA becoming more latino...and hipsters in L.A usually tend to take over hispanic areas versus black areas.
Yeah, what do those black people know about hip anyway? Lol

Old 06-26-2013, 02:47 PM

They invented hip!...but these kids ain't hip enough to realize it I guess..

Old 06-26-2013, 06:17 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,774,395 times
Quote:

Makes me feel OLDDDDD

It'll happen eventually. Those houses are too gorgeous to go unnoticed, and right now they are pretty cheap.

And really the only reason that South LA is consider "unwalkable" is because it is so amenities-poor. There is nothing about it that makes it inherently difficult to walk around, in fact its on similar tight grid like Central LA. Throw some cool kids in there and a few grocery stores and suddenly it is a hip "new" urban neighborhood.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It'll happen eventually. Those houses are too gorgeous to go unnoticed, and right now they are pretty cheap.

And really the only reason that South LA is consider "unwalkable" is because it is so amenities-poor. There is nothing about it that makes it inherently difficult to walk around, in fact its on similar tight grid like Central LA. Throw some cool kids in there and a few grocery stores and suddenly it is a hip "new" urban neighborhood.
It seems like it doesn't take much for the seeds of "urban hip" to sprout. I really think we'd get a great return on investment if the city or perhaps nonprofits invested in fostering some hip and interesting retail in these neighborhoods. So many neighborhoods in this country were written off and now they are pretty desirable. The younger generation seems to have an appreciation for historic buildings too -- more than those in the past. Once the sprouts start then the whole thing can snowball and crime goes down and real estate values go up. Of course this is viewed by some as dreaded gentrification...but who can really say the gentrified areas are not overall better now than before? ...

Old 06-26-2013, 09:13 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,159,354 times
Quote:
They invented hip!...but these kids ain't hip enough to realize it I guess..
+1 Love it!

Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,831,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Harlem has not gentrified. It is still Black Harlem, or Spanish Harlem with much less crime. And I hear the chinese are moving into Spanish Harlem.
No. I live in NYC, and you've quite a few white people who have moved into Harlem. THe parts closest to the UES or the UWS have had substantial overflow from these neighborhoods. A lot of expensive retailers have moved into Harlem, and a Whole Foods is under construction there. Columbia University is expanding rapidly too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles