Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:55 AM

256 posts, read 398,908 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to LA county and would like suggestions for where to live.

Background:
Wife and I are in our mid 30s
Married with 1 young child may go for another soon
Wife and I are both educators (teachers)
Combined we may have about 100K in annual income.

What we are looking for:
Suburban, family-oriented town
Good schools (especially elementary and middle schools)
Low crime
A vibrant, walkable downtown
15-20 min drive to night life (FYI, we don't party, but we like being near a social scene instead of isolated in the middle of nowhere's land)

From my own research, I really like the town of Arcadia, CA, but I don't know if it's a place we can afford. I like Pasadena, but I heard the schools were not great. I'm leaning toward Glendora, CA, but it seems a bit far from the social scene.

Are there any good suggestions? Also, how easy/difficult would it be for my wife to find a teaching job in So Cal? Would being a math teacher help make things easier to find a job?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 12:23 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Do you have savings currently?

What defines a "social scene" for you both?

If you like Pasadena/Arcadia, I might suggest Monrovia, which should be more in line with your budget?

Old 11-23-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Do you have savings currently?

What defines a "social scene" for you both?

If you like Pasadena/Arcadia, I might suggest Monrovia, which should be more in line with your budget?
Thanks. I have some savings, but not much at the moment. Social scene to me just means that there's something going on. I know that might still sound vague so an example of what I mean are farmer's markets, Christmas events in the downtown, or maybe even the 626 Night Market in Arcadia (although, I read some horror stories about that event related to crowds and traffic).

I looked into Monrovia, but was worried about the school district. I'm still leaning toward Glendora, but does anyone know anything about their downtown?

I know I'm asking for everything in a town, but if I had to rank the most important quality then I would have to say having good schools is the most important feature I would like to have in a town.

Thanks again.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_vader123 View Post
...if I had to rank the most important quality..good schools is the most important feature I would like to have in a town..
Would you consider living in Calabasas or Agoura Hills? Both have superior public school systems.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:01 PM

Too far out for me. I would like to stay near east of LA (not to be confused with East LA). Basically, I'm looking east of Pasadena and west of Claremont. I can go south too, but probably not to Anaheim.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:09 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,853,433 times
Glendora is great if you are looking for a family-friendly and super-safe city with excellent schools. Live north of the 210 freeway for sure.

Glendora's downtown is pretty dead at night. It's really a small oldtown for local families and seniors to hangout during the day.

If you want some action, you can always drive to Claremont Village, Oldtown Monrovia, Oldtown Pasadena, etc.

You can also take the Gold Line train to Monrovia, Arcadia, Pasadena, Highland Park, DowntownLA, and beyond starting early next year. Azusa's APU/Citrus College Station would serve Glendora.

Monrovia's schools are pretty average... better than Pasadena's, but not considered good compared to what's nearby (Arcadia, South Pas, San Gabriel, Temple City, Charter Oak, Glendora, Bonita, etc.)

South Monrovian families prefer Arcadia USD (of course):
Monrovia Unified loses $1.5 million due to transfers

Old 11-23-2015, 05:16 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,825,744 times
Are you Asian?

Old 11-23-2015, 05:37 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,632,544 times
On that income you can afford to rent a 2bd apt almost anywhere in SGV. General rent will be $1400-1800 in a decent area.

You should live closest to where you will be working. Distances in LA at rush hour can be prohibitively far.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
On that income you can afford to rent a 2bd apt almost anywhere in SGV. General rent will be $1400-1800 in a decent area.

You should live closest to where you will be working. Distances in LA at rush hour can be prohibitively far.
Is the traffic worst heading into LA or away? Or is there always traffic in both directions?

Old 11-24-2015, 06:51 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,632,544 times
I depends where you are and where you are going. But it's worse going into LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles