Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:34 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

1933 (earthquake)

Amazing photos. Seems like in the 40's and 50's everyone was smiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,247 times
I was from Compton, born and raised. Graduated from Compton HS in 66, went to George Washington Elementary School on Wilmington Ave and Willowbrook Jr HS. My parents lived in Comptona, had a small business, a Mexican Bakery back in 1948 when I was born, in the area of Willowbrook and 133rd. Saw the transformation from all white to what it is today. My family has been there in the area, in one form or another since the 40's. Still have a sister than lives in the Lynwood area. and a brother that recently moved away from Compton. Any questions feel free to email me.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:00 PM

207 posts, read 714,374 times
Everything I know about Compton is from watching Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre videos.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 PM

67 posts, read 113,673 times
why has Los Angeles changed? Why did the whites move away from the blacks? I don't get it. I wish that Los Angeles was nice as how it was back then. Not afraid of any gangs. Why can't the white people start to move back into the city? lol. Maybe Los Angeles can change. I live in Lincoln Heights and the majority is Mexican here. I wonder how Lincoln Heights was back then. I have a history teacher who's mother graduated from a high school in East LA back then. But now that is all Mexican now. Most of the city is Latino now.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:13 AM

7 posts, read 40,244 times
it was fear of the unknown. Granted the Balcks who first moved into the area were middle class hard working blacks. but once white flight took place, all the stores left along them. And they started building low income housing and apartments in the area, and it took its toll over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb112 View Post
why has Los Angeles changed? Why did the whites move away from the blacks? I don't get it. I wish that Los Angeles was nice as how it was back then. Not afraid of any gangs. Why can't the white people start to move back into the city? lol. Maybe Los Angeles can change. I live in Lincoln Heights and the majority is Mexican here. I wonder how Lincoln Heights was back then. I have a history teacher who's mother graduated from a high school in East LA back then. But now that is all Mexican now. Most of the city is Latino now.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:46 PM

67 posts, read 113,673 times
but what fear of the 'unknown'? Maybe it's because we live and in a different time/century that I find this weird. But maybe back then it was back then because it seemed normal. But then why don't people move back to all parts of Los Angeles? Like White people, Asian people, and others. I know there is crime but with new people, the crime will stop? Just my opinion

Old 06-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Weird? Im just curious to your age. Because if youre over 30 you should know what the fear was. Youve seen the videos in high school of the civil rights movement, you should be aware of the hard time in the 50s and 60s and racism towards minorites.

Blacks were not accepted into white communities because of racism. They had laws where you couldnt sell your home to Blacks Mexicans or Jews, especially in the more afluent areas. They picked against it and wanted no part of minorities in their communities.

Blacks started moving into Compton in the mid 50s, Emmitt Till was killed by Whites in the 50s for whistling at a White woman. Also Rosa Parks was forced tog ive up her seat in the 1950s. I say that to let you know, that racism was still alive and kicking in the 50s.

When Blacks started being buses to Pasadena, alot of White students dropped out. They wrote an article, "Where did all the White Students go?"

The 1st few Blacks who moved into Compton were good citizens, and some of the Whites embraced them, others didnt. but the police brutality in areas like Watts and Los Angeles started an uproar that led to Blacks getting violent. Remember these were Blacks from the South who expereinced racism 1st hand.

These actions only help create anger from Blacks towards Whites. I think youve seen the videos in class rooms, guys walking away being hit with battons and sprayed with water holes.

But you shouldnt find it weird, its in all the history books.

Things are better now, but they werent back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb112 View Post
but what fear of the 'unknown'? Maybe it's because we live and in a different time/century that I find this weird. But maybe back then it was back then because it seemed normal. But then why don't people move back to all parts of Los Angeles? Like White people, Asian people, and others. I know there is crime but with new people, the crime will stop? Just my opinion

Old 06-19-2010, 12:26 PM

Heres a flicks to what was going on in the 60s. Blacks moved in around the 50s. They didnt want Black there.

http://terren2000.com/BlackWhites-la1964.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-19-2010, 01:35 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Just for everyone's info the following was not in Compton:
Rosa Parks was in Montgomery, Alabama.
Emmett Till was in Money, Mississippi
3205 Los Feliz was 20 miles from Compton.
I see that subzero97 is showing the general mood in the 50's.
No real law about not selling homes to Blacks Mexicans or Jews, it just didn't happen. That "good ole boy" mentality.

I used to frequent a few stores in Compton in the 70's. Quite a few white friends lived there and the area was not bad at all (not saying they made a difference). A few of my teachers lived in Compton and we would visit them as well. I was in Compton the day I heard Marvin Gaye was killed, listened to a lot of Motown in the 70's.

I seen great changes in Compton in 1982 or so, friends had to hire armed guards for their stores. It looks as thou the town is getting better now, rising home values allowing people to care and have pride in their homes. A lot of the undesirables are moving to Riverside county.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
No real law about not selling homes to Blacks Mexicans or Jews, it just didn't happen.
Could you elaborate on this? Didn't happen where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles